Just curious I meet a lot of guys in the studios that are smoking shredders. But can't hold a candle to the session guys that can play melodic phrasing. Does a true shredder even take the time to learn decent phrasing. Just curious.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
To me, shredding is just speed playing. I believe that shredding can be very melodic. I like John Petrucci for example, I think he's a shredder, yet has melody. Another of my favourites is Gus G. (Firewind, Dream Evil) who 'shreds' yet maintains melody.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I think real shred requires decent phrasing, but alot of players just focus on speed.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
a decent "shredder" is a guitarist who can shred not as an answer to everything but just as another possibility to broadening his/her horizons of creativity, such as some people choose to learn jazz, learning "shred" can be used for the exact same purpous(?)

and....SHREDDERZ GOT'Z THE MAD SKILLZ WITH THE LADIES!
Thanks Sometimes I just see players and all theyr'e concerned about is speed. Then if you slow them down it sounds pretty bad.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Think about having a massive wank, well its like that for guitar skills

I think its the ability for some one to be able to play a freaking fast riff (think thrash metal) or crazy fast solo (malmsteen) but a GOOD shredd is having that skill and still being able to write songs with good melodys that arnt 1 billion BPM, satch, petrucci etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by modernp
Just curious I meet a lot of guys in the studios that are smoking shredders. But can't hold a candle to the session guys that can play melodic phrasing. Does a true shredder even take the time to learn decent phrasing. Just curious.

Quote by darkarbiter7
I think real shred requires decent phrasing, but alot of players just focus on speed.

Agreed: I can think of some players like Kerry King (at least his early lead work) and a lot of new players that just play fast and think that's fine. In some cases, I must admit, it fits in well enough.

HOWEVER, like other people have said on here, just running scales (or random notes) at the speed of sound is bogus. A solo, when slowed down, should still sound good; after all, if you're composing a solo you certainly don't attack it as fast as you can without forethought!
Shredding is nto a genre or a style of playing. It's just a general compliment back in the 80's for a good player. IE "EVH can shred" or "Warren DeMartini was a shreddin' player"
Shredding is when you take a piece of paper and slice it up instead of littering.
Quote by Ergin
Shredding is when you take a piece of paper and slice it up instead of littering.

Wow...

Your humor fails.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wow i really liked George Lynch...he sounded great. i could listen to that more often! Gonna look for more now..any shredders like him? with melody?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
I've actually found ways to use it as a compliment and a disrespect, based on how I say it. My friends have actually picked up on it, it's funny. I think how they dissected it was that if I call someone a "shredder" I'm saying they just care about speed, but if the player "shreds" or is "shredding" or the like, I'm saying he's making that guitar his bitch.

Hell, I just said "back to the guy who shreds, already" because they're showing some footage off a SRV DVD compilation on public TV, but of course that means 10 minute "give us your money" breaks."
Quote by CJRocker
Shredding is nto a genre or a style of playing. It's just a general compliment back in the 80's for a good player. IE "EVH can shred" or "Warren DeMartini was a shreddin' player"

You're the first person besides myself to mention Warren on this site that I've seen.
He's one of my fave guitarists.
Slow playing will show many more mistakes than fast playing that is the ground rule.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
i honestly don't know what that word emans anymore, I used it as a compliment, now i use it dfor everything.

"Woah he can shred"

"He can even shred piano"

"He can shred English course work"

"Thats a shred pair of shoes"

funny how words mutate...
Read 'The Art of Shredding' by Sun Tzu Darrell. Then you'll understand.

A lot of people nowadays group shredding with playing really fast with no feel or phrasing whatsoever.

I feel that actual shred guitar requires unique phrasing as well as speed and melody.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KevVin
i honestly don't know what that word emans anymore, I used it as a compliment, now i use it dfor everything.

"Woah he can shred"

"He can even shred piano"

"He can shred English course work"

"Thats a shred pair of shoes"

funny how words mutate...

Verily, methinks tis queer how the language doth shapen upon itself as time progresses. Wherefore must the language evolve?
Quote by nightraven
that was great, thanks for sharing that

No problem dude, actually FYI that small clip is what made me fall in love with Lynch's music, style, technique and so on.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join