Well I've been using my dad's Fender Strat for a little less than a year now, and I find when I'm trying to play solos with a lot of bends I have to pull the string really, really hard to get a full step up. For example when I'm trying to play a 14th fret full bend on my G string to make it sound like the 16th fret, I have to bend the string past the D string, and the string will be more than half way up the surface of my fingernail.
When I let go, the D string buzzes from my fingernail scrubbing against it.

Also, when I put my whammy bar in, I can only seem to pull it away from the guitar, when I try to push it to the guitar it is so close to the body that it just hits the surface and doesn't bend the string at all. Is there something wrong with my guitar?

Thanks in advance, i'll be back after breakfast.
Try lowering the strings, or put some lighter strings on.

The whammy bar could be adjusted by tightening the springs in the back of the guitar.
it is absolutely fine.. about the bending thing, you should try to put some thinner strings on..
Gibson LP Studio
Epiphone SG Vibrato
Santana Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Fender Mini Twin
Jim Donlup Cry Baby

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
yep i have to do that aswell, its just a matter of getting your fingers stronger from bending more. When youre bending trying and push the next string further than let it slide over your fingernail to stop that twang or buzz from the string when you release, But i often let it slide over my fingernail and the sound isnt to bad.
Im not sure about the whammy bar part, sounds suspicious, maybe pics might help
String gauge makes all the difference in the world when bending. As does a fresh set of strings. Try .009's on it first. As for the whammy bar, those can only raise pitch when pulling up and away on the trem, not dive then return. They pivot in the back end, and the front rests against the body of the guitar when not being used. The springs in the back of the guitar keep the trem pulled tight against the string tension to keep everything in tune. And since it's dad's guitar, I'd not recommend that you do any stuff like the post above me unless he's cool with it. That btw is not the recommended Fender way to adjust the trem, this is:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

The way posted above me will get you a floating trem tho, and the lube at the nut is an excellent idea for any guitar.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Apr 6, 2008,
I'm using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings. 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, and 24 custom gauge nickel wound strings.

I should have mentioned this earlier, for nearly 8 months the whammy bar was working fine, one day I noticed the whammy bar would only go one way, the bridge of my guitar, where the bar was attached to, is slanted so that the end with all the springs is at the top of the slant, so it curves down towards the strings. Now when I put in the whammy bar the slant causes it to hit the guitar when I try to push it.

I'll try the aforementioned solutions.
Quote by FelixJZ
I'm using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings. 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, and 24 custom gauge nickel wound strings.

I should have mentioned this earlier, for nearly 8 months the whammy bar was working fine, one day I noticed the whammy bar would only go one way, the bridge of my guitar, where the bar was attached to, is slanted so that the end with all the springs is at the top of the slant, so it curves down towards the strings. Now when I put in the whammy bar the slant causes it to hit the guitar when I try to push it.

I'll try the aforementioned solutions.

24??? I hope thats a typo and you meant 44.
Take the back cover off and have a look inside. Sounds like somethings broke.
Quote by LeftyDave
24??? I hope thats a typo and you meant 44.
Take the back cover off and have a look inside. Sounds like somethings broke.

WOW what the hell was I doing, I meant to type 46, and I have absolutely no idea how I typed 24 instead. I'll check the back.

EDIT: Here's some pictures, I wasn't sure of what to take.
(Whoops pics are too big, ill resize and reupload.)

Back of guitar:

Strings:

Bridge:

Excuse the terrible MS Paint editing,

If you need any specific pics or anything like that, just tell me.
Last edited by FelixJZ at Apr 6, 2008,
Tune your guitar down a bit, then gradually tighten those two screws in the first picture until you get an appropriate angle. Check out the thread I linked to in an earlier post for further setup details.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you