So I need a bigger amp for my band. I mostly play guitar, but I need an amp that I can play both bass and guitar through (not at the same time). Naturally, this led me to a bass amp. I'm still not sure if I'll be getting a combo or a stack.

The salesman at Guitar Center told me that my guitar tone will suck if I play through a bass amp. Apparently it has something to do with the "impedance of the pickups."

Is this a crock of sh*t or is there some truth to what he's telling me?
ya it plays like **** i do it all the time when im too lazy to bring both of my amps to practice

the only bass//guitar amp ican think of is an ORange Thunderverb 200 or 50

hahaha good luck with that one if you can get it it'l be very worth it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

you should get two combos, a bass and a guitar amp, and make them totally different rigs.

The guy from the band Explosions in the Sky does that, so they switch from three guitars to bass and two guitars. Saw them last night, they were amazing. All he does is lean the guitar he isn't using against its respective amp.

Another option would be running both a guitar and a bass HEAD through the same bass cabinet. That would probably sound great.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
you should get two combos, a bass and a guitar amp, and make them totally different rigs.

The guy from the band Explosions in the Sky does that, so they switch from three guitars to bass and two guitars. Saw them last night, they were amazing. All he does is lean the guitar he isn't using against its respective amp.

Another option would be running both a guitar and a bass HEAD through the same bass cabinet. That would probably sound great.

I knew a guy who ran a guitar head through a bass cab. I thought it sounded okay. It wasn't that great of a head, but it didn't sound too bassy. And of course, a bass head through a bass cab should sound just fine.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
It's a crock of sh*t.

A guitar sounds, imo, far better through a bass amp than it will through an equally-ranged guitar amp.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Hahaha...

Impedance of the pickups... hahaha.

Oh, he wasn't joking?

Then he's an idiot. It sounds great. Lots of musicians do it. Just get a good bass amp .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Lots of guitarist use bass amps just because they like the sound.
lots of people do it
i think that the augus young uses a guitar head with a bass cabinet
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
My buddy plugged his acoustic Ovation guitar into my stack, and it was the cleanest tone both he and I have ever heard. Pickup impedence...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
My buddy plugged his acoustic Ovation guitar into my stack, and it was the cleanest tone both he and I have ever heard. Pickup impedence...

of course it was the ONLY time they ever heard it, but it was the cleanest. jk
as far as a guitar through a bass amp. the controls on a bass amp aren't the same as a guitar amp, i.e. no reverb and such, but if you have a decent effects package, it will do just fine. just so you know, just because they work at GC does not mean they know squat about what they are selling.
You can always buy a guitar and bass preamp. And then a PA Powersupply. Just make sure when you buy the bass cab it has a tweeter in it or your guitar will sound horrible.
They don't--and some sound even better. The sound that my son gets through my bass amps with his Telecaster is so nice, I now have to kick him off my amps so I can practice.

My best guitarist buddy just bought a new Fender bassman reissue because blues guitar just sounds amazing through one of those suckers.

And GC doesn't always hire brain surgeons btw.
Yea, there are some nice multipurpose amps. Like Ampeg reissues. But I have a feeling their out of your price range / not enough power.
Quote by swarming_flies
You can always buy a guitar and bass preamp. And then a PA Powersupply. Just make sure when you buy the bass cab it has a tweeter in it or your guitar will sound horrible.

I'm going to talk out of my ass and say guitar cabs don't have tweeters and have a frequency response of 75Hz-6.5kHz (a 412).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
He's talking ****e. ATM my guitarist only has a 15w amp, so we did the overdubs on some recordings with his guitar plugged into my Ashdown (15" speaker, too). It sounded pretty good, too.