I mean like, when you touch something that's hot, you feel hot, but there's those tiny signals sent to your brain. How fast do those things travel?
senses mate

and very quickly... like instantly
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Not fast enough

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
sometimes when you touch something hot it takes what seems a while though for it to be seen as hot, so it's kinda hit and miss.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

surely it's different for every person.

I always thought that that's what reaction times were.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
think it's about 200mph if you're talking about nerve impulses, not 100% sure though, might have been 400kph

Quote by Lemoninfluence
surely it's different for every person.

I always thought that that's what reaction times were.

i think that's more to do with how strong your nerve pathways are
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
0.23 seconds if I remember right....

VÅDEDIT

From touch till you feel it that is
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by bass dude nick
think it's about 200mph if you're talking about nerve impulses, not 100% sure though, might have been 400kph

i think that's more to do with how strong your nerve pathways are

Everybody is a little different but ya you're in the ballpark.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
May not be true, but makes sense:
The signal travels almost instantly, but if it kills the nerves on contact then it will take longer for a signal to generate.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
It's pretty damn quick.

But then you have reflex actions, where the signal doesn't even reach the brain before you respond (the signal does go to the brain to register what happened, but the reflex is based in the spine). I think they take a tad loger.

It's also dependant on the ionic pumps and gates along the nerve, quality of nerve, type of nerve, how complete and how much of the nerve is insulated with the myelin sheath... there's loads of factors, but generally it's pretty damn quick.
I remember doing physics one day and the teacher said it was something like 0.0000000001 seconds or something like that.

Ie, almost instantly.

But some senses teh brain chooses to block out, like when you stub your toe, you don't feel the pain for aout 0.5 seconds afterwards.

Strange how your body works, eh? Cool =]
I thought this was going to be about scenes. Like, how long had emo kids been around before they started popping up everywhere.

Color me surprised.
If it's anything like the speed of electricity like you'd expect, then actually each electron moves at something like snail's pace, literally.

But then, nerve diameter, synapses etc will all affect it...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Flying Couch
I thought this was going to be about scenes. Like, how long had emo kids been around before they started popping up everywhere.

Since the 80's

But the music was better then.
if its reflexes like when you've touched something hot.. its almost instant.. cos it doesnt travel to the brain. it just goes through the relay neuron into the motor neuron causing you to remove ur hand from the hot surface.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
if its reflexes like when you've touched something hot.. its almost instant.. cos it doesnt travel to the brain. it just goes through the relay neuron into the motor neuron causing you to remove ur hand from the hot surface.

Dead right.

...And then it tells your brain to put you in pain, by way of saying "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!"

That's why it takes a moment or so for your burned finger to start to hurt.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
well when you feel something hot it bypasses the brain and goes straight to the muscle receptor, its called an arc of somesort, after its gone to the muscle another goes to your brain to tell you your a stupid mother****er for putting your hand there and not to do it again, if it didnt youd pull away and then just keep trying it....