hey guys,

im in a band and we have gigs about twice a month at places with somewhere between 40-400 people, i run a schecter c1 FR through a peavey 6505+ with no pedals

i was talking to the other bands after our show last night and they were saying that i wasnt cutting through, now when they say that, do they mean that my highs and mids aren't well.... cutting through? I've been getting kicked in the ass to buy an OD pedal for it to help

so..

Info on cutting through?

Good OD pedal?

random suggestions?

thanks in adv
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Boost your mids
Where a bass guitar covers the lows, and drums cover the high treble noises, guitar has the 'cutting through' frequencies in its mids, so to cut through, you need to boost them more (an EQ pedal would help more than an overdrive in this case)...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Maxon OD-9?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Crank your amp. Way up.

Try a) boosting your mids
or b) boosting your treble

Not both, though. That would hurt.
get an eq pedal, and MXR 10-band has gain, and are supposed to be the best, so it could serve as an OD as well
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
ohhhhh well that makes sense, my mid is cut completly out when i play=)
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG

Don't scoop your mids - boost them You'll cut through a lot clearer
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

i only have them cut because i love that "balls to the wall" palm muting sound i get out of it, if i rise my mids, i lost a handful of that
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
^ Yea thats the problem (assuming you play metal :p with metal artists...
You need a happy compromise between ideal tone and cutting through...

What settings d'you use?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by ilovemySG
i only have them cut because i love that "balls to the wall" palm muting sound i get out of it, if i rise my mids, i lost a handful of that

Don't do that anymore.

What sounds good to you at home -as you've been told- isn't cutting it live. Boosting your mids will cut you right thru, scooping them will get you lost in the mix. An eq pedal would probably be a good addition to your rig, so that you could keep the majority of your mids up, but still sculpt your tone a little more to your personal taste.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
^ Yea thats the problem (assuming you play metal :p with metal artists...
You need a happy compromise between ideal tone and cutting through...

What settings d'you use?

i have my gain at 7, lows at half, mids at 0, highs at half, res at 4, presence at 8
but now i brought my lows up a little, mids up, and my highs down a little and it sounds pretty good, but yes like ^^ said im probably going to look into getting an EQ pedal and find a mix between what i want, what sounds halfway decent, and what people can hear
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
sorry for the double, but what more does an EQ have then the front of your head? deeper customization?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
lows at half, mids at 0, highs at half

Blech!

You're choking your amp. Put everything at half, and tweak from there - without lowering the mids at all! You can sculpt with an eg pedal, but you have to have your mids up first. Also, another good investment for any Peavey is new speakers. You may like your mids a lot better thru better ones. I could imagine the stock speakers muddying up.

But honestly, you may just need to get used to hearing your mids. Crank 'em up and practice like that.

edit:

Quote by ilovemySG
sorry for the double, but what more does an EQ have then the front of your head? deeper customization?

Yeah. You have control over more individual frequencies. That way, you can keep the mid-range up, but fine tune them more to your liking.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania
Blech!

You're choking your amp. Put everything at half, and tweak from there - without lowering the mids at all! You can sculpt with an eg pedal, but you have to have your mids up first. Also, another good investment for any Peavey is new speakers. You may like your mids a lot better thru better ones. I could imagine the stock speakers muddying up.

But honestly, you may just need to get used to hearing your mids. Crank 'em up and practice like that.

edit:

pa
Yeah. You have control over more individual frequencies. That way, you can keep the mid-range up, but fine tune them more to your liking.

this could be interesting, im always up for trying completly new ideas!

and yes, i need a new cab, i use a used XXX cab, i mean it does the job, my rents have spent over 3000 on my music in the last two years so im really not going to complain haha.

thanks for the help guys, but really your killing me!

run downstairs, turn amp on, crank, run to the other side of the room, edit sound, run upstairs to check UG AND REPEAT!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Try to sell the XXX cab and get a quality 2X12. Easy to transport and you can get them loaded with Celestion V30s for cheap at avatarspeakers. I'm not really a fan of V30s but they might be what you are looking for.

eh, v30's are good speakers, but i love the black widows or whatever they are, my other guitarist uses them in his crate cab and its just awasome
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG

Eww, that makes your amp sound like it's stuck in a giant tin can full of poo.

Try boosting your mids. If you're afraid boosted mids will hurt your br00t4lz, listen to Slayer and Converge, that's how boosted mids sound.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well,

i went downstairs, evened out everything, ( except my level!) and got a really nice sound out of my amp, and to be honest i really dont think i need any OD's or EQ's anymore, but ile have to see after my bands show at the stone pony on the 27th to see if that stays!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
well,

i went downstairs, evened out everything, ( except my level!) and got a really nice sound out of my amp, and to be honest i really dont think i need any OD's or EQ's anymore, but ile have to see after my bands show at the stone pony on the 27th to see if that stays!

Sounds good.

Another bit of advice - At your next gig, lower the bass and raise the treble and mids a bit from your "home tone" to make doubly sure you'll cut through. It won't sound very good on its own, in fact it might sound horrible, but it'll sound great in the mix with the rest of the band.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Sounds good.

Another bit of advice - At your next gig, lower the bass and raise the treble and mids a bit from your "home tone" to make doubly sure you'll cut through. It won't sound very good on its own, in fact it might sound horrible, but it'll sound great in the mix with the rest of the band.

yeah great point, plus the fact that since my amp is tube and ile have a different tone at 4 different volumes i should really play with it there..
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
if your looking for an overdrive, digitech bad monkey works well with peaveys and is cheap at the same time. deffintly look into it but to agree with everyone else i had the SAME problem.

turning up my volume dosent help so my tone matured so to speak and i even boost my mids. take it from me scooped mids live makes your tone have no body at all and you wont put that thump in the audiences chest
ADD OUR BAND ALUSTRIUM
Gear:
Carvin DC727
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Carvin V3
Carvin 412V-30 Cab
Kirk Hammett Cry Baby
EVH Phase 90
MXR Black Label Chorus
Digitech Whammy
ISP G-String Decimator
Line 6 EchoPark
A good, easy upgrade is a speaker swap for that cab. Especially if it's front loaded (front loaded cabs FTW.)

IIRC, the XXX Cab uses Sheffields. No one likes those.

If I was running that rig, I'd throw 2 Emi Legends and 2 Emi Swamp Thangs in an X pattern in there.
Old thread guys.

I was like slats is back. but sadly no

so Old thread let it die
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Old thread guys.

I was like slats is back. but sadly no

so Old thread let it die

Dang someone went pages deep to dig this one up. This one's over a year old fellas.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦