Well, here's what's up.

I'm in a band with another guitarist, a bassist, vox, and drums. The guitarist is really a controlling son of a bitch. He doesn't let us do any genre other than stuff he approves of, and when I write a song, he TRIES to change it up to make it sound more "Progressive". But it just sounds tacky. What should I do about him?
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Quote by colohue
Consult the rest of the band without him. If he's stifling your creativity then remove him.

i second that!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Talk to him about it, see if that can make a difference.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by colohue
Consult the rest of the band without him. If he's stifling your creativity then remove him.

I third that!
It's not hard to find guitarists. It doesn't seem like he is going to work.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Have you talked to the rest of the band about it? If you haven't, you should talk to them without the guitarist to see if everyone feels the same way about it. If all of you feel the same way about it, hold a band meeting w/ the guitarist where you adress the issue. When you talk to him, don't tread around the issue but also don't be a-holes about it. Simply tell him what the problem is and give him tips on how he can improve. After this, continue on with your normal band activities for the next couple of weeks to a month. If he hasn't made any strides toward improvement, then get rid of him.
kill him with fire.

i've done in three guitarists, a bassist, and a whiny parent that way.
but if the guitarist controls the band, then surely if you try to kick him out, he might kick you out?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by colohue

I 5th that.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
really the rest of the band probably doesn't like him either. This happened in my first band but the bassist was the controlling one, just talk to them and then tell the guy you will give him a few more chances if he is willing to change. If he doesn't change then kick him out.
this is sorta happening in my band, except its my drummer, and he says he wants to quit coz he's into metal when the rest of us r into alt/grunge/etc.

Maybe you should just ditch him.