So this is my situation. I was planning on buying a Traynor YCS50 during the summer but I just found out that my friend is selling his 5150 combo for $600 CAD. The amp itself is obviously fairly old but in great shape (cosmetically & functionally) and the power tubes have recently been replaced with JJ's. The genre of music that I play mostly is metal (thrash,death & stoner/southern) and if it helps any my current guitar is a BC Rich neck-through Beast with a JB/Jazz pickup configuration. I'm well aware that the Traynor's clean channel is better than the Peavey's but I very rarely play without distortion. So basically what I was wondering is whether I should get the 5150 or hold off on buying an amp until the summer?
Judging by the type of music you play, I would buy the 5150. If you dont use the clean channel, why pay for it?
Get the 5150. It suits your needs. The Traynor might not be voiced 'metal' enough for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well I basically have both so....i would say PEavey. Traynor does not handle high gain sounds good at all. ITs more of a smooth, classic rock/blues overdrive, with crystal cleans. Not for metal!!
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
To Monte720, have you played Traynor's YCS series or are you basing your opinion on the YCV line because I have played both and I would agree with you that the YCV is not voiced for metal. On the other hand with the YCS50's modern, scoop and boost controls I found a nice thrash tone similar to Overkill's "The Years of Decay"
Quote by exodus7
To Monte720, have you played Traynor's YCS series or are you basing your opinion on the YCV line because I have played both and I would agree with you that the YCV is not voiced for metal. On the other hand with the YCS50's modern, scoop and boost controls I found a nice thrash tone similar to Overkill's "The Years of Decay"

Ah, I didnt notice you said YCS. I do not have any experience with those amps, however there are scoop and boost controls on mine. The scoop sounds ok, but sort of makes the amp sound too processed, sort of digital. The boost is absolutely terrible, I never use it. It just kind of makes the sound more muffled. Doesnt really boost the signal it seems. Even though (I love the Traynor for what it does) but I would just play it safe and go with the 5150. Many people may disagree with me, and argue that the 5150's tone is too generic. WHatever....they just dont know how to tweak their amps. It sounds awesome!
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
It depends how much gain you're using. I can handle metallica or megadeth gain and still sound good, but if you add more it just gets worse and worse sounding. It sounds a lot mid a JCM 800...at mid gain.

Quote by slayerfrk
get a peavy valveking and a boss me-50 if its within ur budget, the amp is like $400 and the pedal is like $350 i think, the pedal has quite a bit of effects and it has a bunch of distortions on it

Shutup please...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
To kool98769, judging by your profile you also have a YCV series. Have you played the YCS series because I find that it is more suitable for metal than Traynor's YCV line.
Quote by exodus7
To kool98769, judging by your profile you also have a YCV series. Have you played the YCS series because I find that it is more suitable for metal than Traynor's YCV line.

I have not played one personally, but they do seem like they'd be much better for metal, especially being that they have 6l6's.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i play tons of extreme/death type metal and i LOVE the YCS series for this..

the YCV not so much. if you're worried about the YCS 50 not having enough gain.. an overdrive pedal in front of it will help it appear to have more gain while tightening up your sound at the same time.

the YCS series is simply fantastic for what you're gonna be doing.. even if it does look like an "old man amp"
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
To Kivarenn82, what would be a good overdrive to pair with the amps gain channel that is not to costly? I've heard alot of people recommending the Digitech Bad Monkey and the Boss SD-1 because of the price but I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a higher end OD such as the Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS9, etc
hm.. the most experience i have with OD's is my Boss SD-2 and a TS-9

the TS is the better choice but i hear lots of great things about the bad monkey. i don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

Maxons are pretty pricey but another good way to go.

if price is the biggest concern my best bet would be the bad monkey.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.