A car of mass 900kg tows a trailer of mass 600kg by means of a rigid tow bad. The car experiences a resistance of 200N and the trailer a resistance of 600N. If the car engine exerts a forward force of 3KN, find the tension in the tow bar and the acceleration of the system.

I tried treating the whole thing as a particle in order to get the acceleration, which came out at 0.6 ms^-2, but I'm not sure if I should've taken into account the tension in the tow bar before using F=ma for that. Anyway, I have no idea whatsoever how to get the tension in the tow bar, can anyone help me out here please?

Cheers
why are you asking a guitar forum to help you with your homework it doesn't seem like a very reliable source.
One Love, One Heart, Let's Get Together And Feel Alright

Member of UG's Vegetarian Club. Add to sig to join!
Nah, think you're on the right lines.

The tension won't have any effect on the overall acceleration, as it's not an external force.

The next stage, I'm fairly sure, is to work out the the force on the car, and then the trailer, using F=ma.

The difference should be the tension.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by burningcowsrule
A car of mass 900kg tows a trailer of mass 600kg by means of a rigid tow bad. The car experiences a resistance of 200N and the trailer a resistance of 600N. If the car engine exerts a forward force of 3KN, find the tension in the tow bar and the acceleration of the system.

I tried treating the whole thing as a particle in order to get the acceleration, which came out at 0.6 ms^-2, but I'm not sure if I should've taken into account the tension in the tow bar before using F=ma for that. Anyway, I have no idea whatsoever how to get the tension in the tow bar, can anyone help me out here please?

Cheers

F = ma
3000 - 800 = 1500a
2200 = 1500a
2200 / 1500 = a
1.466 ms^-2 = a

F = ma (Force = Tension)
T = 600 x 1.466
T = 880N

That sounds about right.
I seem to have been proven wrong about UG being a reliable homework source. Many apologies.

Frenchy what are you taking in college? I may have some questions to ask you about Physics later as well..
Thanks a lot for the help guys. And system of chaos: The Pit is better than any teacher when it comes to homework troubles. It's also the first place you should turn if you ever have any tricky legal or moral dilemmas. Plus, if you ever have any embarrassing medical inquiries; bypass your doctor and come straight to The Pit, because when it comes to scrotes, The Pit has all the answers
Sorry I insulted the usefullness of the pit. Please accept my apology.