I am learning theory.

Right now I am learning how to take a few chords and find out what key they are in, or how to know what major scale to play in what key.

I was taught the major scale by my guitar teacher, and after people on here told me to go learn the 'CAGED' system, I realized that is what he taught me. (Along with the pentatonics that go with it)

He taught me it in C major. He never taught me how do it in a different key, though.

How would I take the C major caged system, or pentatonics, and move it to D, or E, etc.

Do I just move it up 2 frets, 3 frets, and so on?

| 3 |-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|
| 7 |-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|
| 5 |---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|
| 2 |---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|
| 6 |---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R|----|-2-|---|
^ ^ ^ ^
open 3rd 5th 7th.....etc
fret
It looks better in CODE tags, though

| 6 |---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|
Quote by blue_strat
It looks better in CODE tags, though

| 6 |---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-R-|---|-2-|---|

how do i make a code thing????

i think i got it 
song stuck in my head today

Alright thanks everyone, I got it working. Plus the code thing does look better.

I decided to solo more in Major pentatonic (as opposed to the full major scale) because its much easier.

Is this limiting me, or can I stick with pentatonics?
Quote by RileyB
Alright thanks everyone, I got it working. Plus the code thing does look better.

I decided to solo more in Major pentatonic (as opposed to the full major scale) because its much easier.

You can use whatever you want, but it will most certainly limit you. The major scale is the foundation of almost all of Western music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
You can use whatever you want, but it will most certainly limit you. The major scale is the foundation of almost all of Western music.

If not all.
So I might as well work with the major scale?

I soloed awhile with my bro last night (improv) and it went very good with pentatonics, but I can tell learning all of the major will help.

What is the next step I go to after mastering the major? (what scale?)
After the major scale you really don't need to memorize anything, just how to make modes of the major scale.
Quote by RileyB

If you stick JUST with pentatonic scales, yes, it is limiting. I suggest learning both.
Quote by RileyB
So I might as well work with the major scale?

I soloed awhile with my bro last night (improv) and it went very good with pentatonics, but I can tell learning all of the major will help.

What is the next step I go to after mastering the major? (what scale?)

learn any of these:

Major
minor
Major pentatonic
minor pentatonic
Major blues
minor blues
harmonic minor

these will get you through a majority of the music you will come across.

modes wont really make sense until you know some theory. I wouldnt worry about them until you have these down and are making some music with them. (and wait until you have a good grasp on the basics of diatonic harmony)

keep in mind there is ALOT that you can learn. rather than overloading yourself..... take it one step at a time

- learn a scale..... memorize it... learn what it sounds like....... USE it. get some experience playing music with it.

THEN move on to a new one.

BTW the Major pentatonic scale is not any more limiting than any other scale.... its just a scale, it has a certain sound. If you know it, and can make some music with it..... good for you! dont be afraid of being "limited".

.... learn it, use it, enjoy it...... learn other stuff.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
learn any of these:

Major
minor
Major pentatonic
minor pentatonic
Major blues
minor blues
harmonic minor

these will get you through a majority of the music you will come across.

modes wont really make sense until you know some theory. I wouldnt worry about them until you have these down and are making some music with them. (and wait until you have a good grasp on the basics of diatonic harmony)

keep in mind there is ALOT that you can learn. rather than overloading yourself..... take it one step at a time

- learn a scale..... memorize it... learn what it sounds like....... USE it. get some experience playing music with it.

THEN move on to a new one.

BTW the Major pentatonic scale is not any more limiting than any other scale.... its just a scale, it has a certain sound. If you know it, and can make some music with it..... good for you! dont be afraid of being "limited".

.... learn it, use it, enjoy it...... learn other stuff.

Alright thanks man!

I do understand modes a little.

For example in C major:

C D E F G A B C

Ionian is the scale,
D Dorian is D E F G A B C
E .. something.. cant remember the names.

They all have different sounds, and there is a formula to get them..

D E F# G A B C# D

If thats D Major scale, then that would mean formula for Dorian is

1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7..

right?
Check out Desi Serna's fretboard theory book it has helped me alot with the pentatonic scale and the CAGED theory. You can download the E book for $19.99 at http://Guitar-Music-Theory.com. He does an awsome job explaining theory. I had read many articles and forums but never understood untill I read the first 3 chapters of his book.
Fretboard theory also covers the major scale, modes and other things.
Oddly enough, the title of this thread, "Caged", are all pitches...which gives me a good idea for a song called "C-A-G-E-D"...using those chords as my progression and having the lyrics relating to being caged.

Ha, it would have dounded dumb anyways.
Quote by RileyB

Why solo in the major scales? THe minor ones sound way cooler lol. THe first scale I learned was the harmonic minor scale.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee
Quote by webbtje
You wish. She probably thinks you're a Stalin/Hitler hybrid... Stitler
In fact, from now on, I'm going to call you Stitler.

Quote by rushmore

it's always nice to find a new reason to smile
Oddly enough, the title of this thread, "Caged", are all pitches
Yeah thats the whole idea of the CAGED system. Its based on the open shapes of the C A G E and D chords and how they fit together.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
www.richardlloyd.com check out the lessons section
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by enemyoftime
Why solo in the major scales? THe minor ones sound way cooler lol. THe first scale I learned was the harmonic minor scale.

Because he wants the sound of the major scale?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.