I bought a double action truss rod a while back, and now I need to install it. The problem is, I don't really know how to fit into the channel. The rod is very similar to the Stewmac Hotrod, which supposedly doesn't need to be anchored.

I assume that if the rod is tightened, it will push up against the bottom of the fretboard, so it won't slide around in the channel, right?

Alternatively, I could try gluing the end points of the rod to the bottom of the cavity.

Here is a picture of the rod I have: (no. 9)

You seem to know a lot about them, but I still dont reccomend that you do it yourself. Unless your really confident. But yes, your idea would work with the glue etc. But its very risky
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Don't use glue. The only thing needed is a few spots of silicone along the length of the rod to prevent any rattle. I'd put some at either ends and a couple along the length, just to be sure it can't rattle anywhere. Not much is needed, you just want to cushion the rod, not drown it in silicone.

Also, try not to use too much glue when you attach the fingerboard later on. At least try not to get too much squeeze out on the rod itself. A little glue won't do much harm, but lots of glue along the length could prevent the rod from working properly. So, use enough glue, but not too much!

Good luck with your build!
Yeah, don't even think about using glue.

Use some masking tape, expanding foam, or silicone sealant to prevent the rod from rattling, and that should be all you need. The rod can't pop out, because of how the channel is routed - assuming that it's been routed accurately.

Edit: woahhh.. Stewmac ship to the UK :\ .. and most people get a two day turnaround. That's insane!
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Apr 6, 2008,
^ Thanks, but I've already seen that.

My questions is mainly about how the "anchor-less" system works, since I assume the sealant only cushions the rod, as opposed to fixing it in place?

I don't mean the rod actually coming out of the top of the channel, since it would be stopped bey the fretboard. I am talking about it being able to be removed by pulling it out of the channel from the adjustment recess

So are double action anchorless rods removable, since I think Stewmac sometimes refers to the hot-rod as their "double action removable truss rod"
Last edited by thedonutman at Apr 6, 2008,
Yeah I am struggling to comprehend not being able to just pull the truss rod out from the head stock end. But who noes, as long as its under tension may be it wont, and if you can loosen it and pull it out to change it if necessary that might be a good thing?

and yeah Stew Mac deliver to the UK, its pretty resonable and damn quick. Though customs are a biach!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah but unless its the pefect length to the cover, it wont stop it from sliding up and down the shaft (does that sound wrong? lol)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
yes it does lol. the stewmac hot rod instructions say to put a dab on each brass end and a dab or 2 along the slot which seemed to work for me.

as far as people mentioning the gluing - stewmac had that covered too... a strip of masking tape down the center of the board and the neck, thin layer of glue on both pieces, remove tape and clamp down. if the planets align properly for you that day the glue will spread perfectly and not drip into the slot... although I havent attempted a truss rod adjustment yet
You install this trussrod with the rod inside the cavity with the metal brace in contact with the fretboard i assume. So, if you tighten the screw, it will bow the neck, making the fretboard convext. If you loosen it will make the neck concave.

So again, tighten means the neck will bow down when in the guitar. If you loosen, it will bow upward.
what i did ultimately was i routed my channel slightly proud and lightly sanded the brass nut so that everything was an almost perfectly flush fit but still dabbed a little goo on both ends. so far its not coming out and i toss that neck around like its just 2 slabs of wood glued together with a piece of steel in the middle