Page 1 of 3
I've began to notice recently that my family are somewhat against me playing my bass.
At first when I began to play the bass, they were supportive and said it was good that I'd found an interest that I filled my spare time with.

But now I'm far beyond that and I have set my heart on gigging and forming my own band. This is where I've hit the problem. I'm at uni and my family for the grand part say I'm getting too into it and that it should remain a hobby.

I can't really talk about music playing with them, and when I talk about gigging, they say I'm too obsessive, that I am sometimes pretentious about music etc.

How can I open them up to realising I'm not just a bedroom player with some pipe dreams of stardom and am a proper musician who is capable of handling being in a band?
Tel'l the'm wha't yo'u tol'd u's. Mak'e sur'e its i'n a respectabl'e manne'r.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by metalanarchist
Get them to come to a gig.

One slight problem- I play prog-rock and Christian rock and two of my family are anti-religion. I doubt they'd come.
Quote by metalanarchist

+1

EDIT: nvm i just read the above post
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Form a band, make it big.

Then they'll take you seriously.
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
One slight problem- I play prog-rock and Christian rock and two of my family are anti-religion. I doubt they'd come.

I play in a death metal band with rather controversial lyrics, and my family is Catholic.
Just tell them to give it a try. They'll probably feel obliged to at least listen to you.
Sorcer - Symphonic Death Metal

Ibanez Iceman ICX220DX, Line 6 Spider III 150W, Roland E-09, Meinl Doumbek, Shure PG48, Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 502
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Don't pla'y th'e Christia'n roc'k materia'l the'n.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Wait till this thread gets bigger and show them this :P

Make sure they know its not gony get in the way of your studys etc. Once You've qualified you can spend all the time you want in it but just make sure they know your not droppin out of uni to play in a non existant band!
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by metalanarchist

+1, if they look like they dont like it stage dive on them when theyre looking towards the door not paying attention, ready to leave
I breathe air.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't pla'y th'e Christia'n roc'k materia'l the'n.

...which makes up most of my setlist...
play some slayer! theyl love a bit of that if they are anti religion
'''' '''''' ' ' ' ''''' '' ' '' '' '' '' ''''''''''''''''''''' ' ' ' '' ''''''''''

i sure hope he can read morse code...
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
Chances are, you are a bedroom player with pipe dreams. I certainly think that music is a worthwhile endevour, but trying to demonstrate that you can "make it" is hardly the best way to convince them.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

lol wow, holy crap. that's like the complete opposite of what it is for most people. i've never heard of anyone's parents not wanting them to play christian music because they're anti-religion.
Or just ignore them, as it's your life and you're at uni anyway.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
My family are against me playing music...

TS, correct grammar would indicate that your "are" should really be "is".
Well what kind of Christian rock is it? Underoath, focus on good music and add in lyrics that aren't incredibly Christian? Or "Jesus, you are my lord and Savior, you are the only way, and I Looooooove you" Christian rock?
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
...which makes up most of my setlist...

What matters more... playing music that God would like, or playing music your mum will like?

I'd go with God. But it's up to you.
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
Quote by Muzikh
TS, correct grammar would indicate that your "are" should really be "is".

And your whinny grammar nazi'ism has demoted you to pit bitch, ya man slag!

Say the music balances your christian needs that can not be satisfied in any other way than music.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
I was in a band most of the way through school, (and i'm in a band at uni justnow, though we've yet to have a gig), we were playing gigs all the time, and now i'm in uni, so is the drummer, and the guitarist is just about to go, I left school with three Adv. higher As. This "having a band will affect your academic life" stuff is a shower of ****e at the 1st order. In fact, i would say it has a positive affect on your academic progress, Expressing yourself is extremely important to your own happiness and mental fitness, i would argue.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's normally the other way around.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Dithindious
And your whinny grammar nazi'ism has demoted you to pit bitch, ya man slag!:

Nazi-ism.
Please, insult me correctly.
Ignore you're parents. If you're at Uni, you're old enough to form your own opinions and do what you want.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by Wayward_Son
Chances are, you are a bedroom player with pipe dreams. I certainly think that music is a worthwhile endevour, but trying to demonstrate that you can "make it" is hardly the best way to convince them.

Seen as I already play in three bands at uni and at church then how can I be a bedroom player?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Oh my God it's bizarro world!

I don't think their beliefs should matter, if you're a good musician, you're a good musician.

"I want to get down on my knees and start praising Jesus, I want to feel his salvation all over my face"

sorry, couldn't resist, I'm not anti-religion or anything
Last edited by technicolour at Apr 6, 2008,
It shouldn't matter if you play religious music, your family should support you whatever you believe. For me, im an atheist but I play in my friends' church "praise" band. I do it despite im an atheist because I support my firends, I want to get better at guitar, its fun, and I respect organized religion. If they don't like you playing music becuase they arn't religious, then screw them, its your beliefs and if they don't like it, tough, you are your own person.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Muzikh
Nazi-ism.
Please, insult me correctly.

I did... pit bitch man slag... *one day new trolls will learn*

On topic how do they feel about you playin in your church band?
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
I'm not sure what you want us to tell you. Personally, I would just keep playing and try to tone down the obsession whilst around parents.

Quote by Fassa_Albrecht
Seing as I already play in three bands at uni and at church then how can I be a bedroom player?

This might be a little off topic, but IMO this is too many bands. Actually, the way you wrote that sentence implies that you are in six bands. I'm going to assume that you meant four. One actual band should be enough. If they are good musicians, they should be able to play different genres. Being in 3 less-committed "bands" really makes you appear to be somewhat less professional with no sense of direction. I mean being in one solid band and then having a lot of friends you jam with occasionally is cool, but maybe your parents see that you are so all over the place and it strikes them as a hopeless obsession.

and fyi: I've begun to notice recently that my family is

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by Dithindious
I did... pit bitch man slag... *one day new trolls will learn*

On topic how do they feel about you playin in your church band?

Verily!
Damn. I thought this was about members of your family being in Against Me! playing music.

ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Your parents/family can't live your live... Just go for it!
Quote by dointime024
I stole a pair of my friend's mother's panties. They were clean so it was rather dissapointing when I took a wiff.
there are tons of bands that are just in it for the fun, and that's how everyone should at least start out. I don't like the attitude of your family for talking down on you like that, but they haven't forbid you to do it yet so you should just go for it. Children shouldn't always exactly do what their parents want them to, makes life dull.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Muzikh
Verily!

Haha xD
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Tell them to STFU.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Your threads alway complain about some stupid ****...
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Page 1 of 3