Does anyone take this as i'm thinking of taking it and i just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Do i have to be able to read music to take this ?
2) I've been playing guitar for around a year and the hardest song i can play is blood and thunder by mastodon is this good enough?
3) Do you enjoy it ?
4) Is it more based around recoding and producing or playing your instrument and musical knowlage.

Thanks my 6th form prospectus is useless
As far as I know, you don't even need to play an instrument to do it. It's more around studio engineering, recording, producing etc., rather than playing.

Also, I'd imagine the BTEC course is better than the A Level, unless you want to take other options aswell.
there's a lot of physics in it, recording, and that sort of thing...not too much playing instruments as far as i know
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Quote by josh999x
1) Do i have to be able to read music to take this ?
2) I've been playing guitar for around a year and the hardest song i can play is blood and thunder by mastodon is this good enough?
3) Do you enjoy it ?
4) Is it more based around recoding and producing or playing your instrument and musical knowlage.

1) I don't think so, but I might be wrong. It'd definately help.
2) Probably, you can always get in other people to do the recording.
3) I have done some music tech in GCSE music and I enjoy it.
4) I'd assume it'd be about the recording and producing.
I'm starting the BTEC in September. I had a pretty long chat with the guy who runs it on my interview and he told me that it's better if you do play an instrument, but it isn't necessary.

And it's more about producing and engineering, although at the end of my course we have to do a couple of gigs. If you want more info from what my interviewer told me then just let me know.
Yeah, the last guy's pretty much right - you don't need to be able to read music at all, instrument skill's not too important really,blood & thunder should be fine as a skill level. though from what i've heard (i didn't take it but had friends who did) unless your school's got teachers who actually give a **** about the topic it's pointless. i also think the BTEC is better, my brother's starting that next year and it sounds so much better.
Thanks for the help guys its sounding like something i can do i just didn't want to be playing grade 7 classical music not that i have anything against classical.

Edit I defiantly want to take the a level as i'm wanting to take biology psychology and i.t
I do it.

its REALLY good. but only if you have good teachers.

Theres more composing than producing. Yea it does help ALOT if you read music. especialy at A2 as you have to be able to produce scores for the music you compose and for all your midi data work. you're given a bass line in midi. and 1 in score form. you have to spot 3 differences amungst many other tasks.

The recording aspect is good. but most of the course is aimed around composition. and using technology as a compositional aid.

You dont need to be able to play an instrument! But having friends who do is useful to record

Any questions, dont hesitate to ask!
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
its different depending on the course at my 6th form its complete crap, at college its producin recording playing instruments playing songs as a band etc
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
yeh i take it it is best decision of my life i have to say
plus through it ive met matt tuck from bullet for my valentine, and roy mayorga from stone sour lolz xD but that was at a music tech festival that my class went on =]

1) you dont have to but it does help, you need to be confident in the instrument you play
2) um yeh jus be confident in your instrument, the type of course im taking pathway 2 (which their scrapping next year) focuses more on recording than playing your instrument.. unless you play on someones recording lol
3) F..... amazing =D
4)umm the type of course they have at the moment i split into pathway 1 and 2, which ther merging them into one course next year. i took pathway 2 which is more recording, and less sequencing / composing, and is more about the technological aspect. but the new course from what iv understood my teacher saying wil focus heavily on the technologocial, and recording aspect.

hope that helps, and like the other posters have said, "dont hesitate to ask questions"
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.