K im new to soloing and i play in a hard rock/metal band and i am wondering how the hell to solo because whenever i try to it sounds like some bluesy stuff how do i get away from this?
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
you can't use the minor pentatonic scale and expect something to not sound bluesy. that's why it's used by blues guitarists and blues-based rock guitarists.

for metal, sometimes people use major scales, but then you run the risk of your solo sounding "too happy". That's why modes are often used. look them up in the articles section.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Quote by gtrhero93
you can't use the minor pentatonic scale and expect something to not sound bluesy. that's why it's used by blues guitarists and blues-based rock guitarists.

for metal, sometimes people use major scales, but then you run the risk of your solo sounding "too happy". That's why modes are often used. look them up in the articles section.

Of course you can - the minor pentatonic scale has been in existence a lot longer than the blues. The problem is most people will have learned predominantly blues based licks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn some new modes and scales, play around with them and get accustomed to the feel of each, then implement them in your solos.
You can always add some notes from the natural or harmonic minor scales.
Adding some chromatic licks could also help.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
ok first off all scales played in ascending or descending order will sound like......scales.
Playing blues is not the same as playing other types of music since playing blues requires an certain amount of "feel". You have to first know your scales like the back of your hand and then once you do try experiment with them. I just throw on a mellow instrumental from satch, buckthead, vai, floyd, etc and I just improvise over the song. I do this for countless hours and it never get old. And ever time I discover a new sound which came upon purely by accident. There is no set way to solo. Thats why its a called a solo and not bridge, or chorus, the solo is where you get to do what you want. So experiment and see what sounds good to you!
Maybe you're using the major pentatonic instead of the minor? If you know the minor formula just add in the b5 for the blues scale!
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
It might help if you mix some Minor modes with Pentatonics and maybe some Chromatic stuff....You should learn what the Pentatonic sounds like all over the fretboard then when you improv you can have the solo in your head and know exactly where it can be played....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Cool thanks so far guys.

Umm i know all the modes of the pentatonic, and im positive im playing minor in the right key. Its weird because over some classic rock backing tracks i can solo over fine but im trying to solo to single note riffing and whenever i try to play a fast kind of solo it never fits it sounds like im all outta time. its kina weird i can solo to lighter stuff but not metal riffing.
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Quote by Bobsam3
Cool thanks so far guys.

Umm i know all the modes of the pentatonic, and im positive im playing minor in the right key. Its weird because over some classic rock backing tracks i can solo over fine but im trying to solo to single note riffing and whenever i try to play a fast kind of solo it never fits it sounds like im all outta time. its kina weird i can solo to lighter stuff but not metal riffing.

Not much Metal uses Pentatonic in their solos....Try Harmonic Minor, Phygrian, Locrian, Dimished and Chromatic scales instead....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Pay attention to your phrasing more, that's what will largely drive the style.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Not much Metal uses Pentatonic in their solos....

Please let the next post say "just kidding".
Quote by BladeSlinger
Not much Metal uses Pentatonic in their solos....Try Harmonic Minor, Phygrian, Locrian, Dimished and Chromatic scales instead....

um..........................what? metal doesnt use pentatonic? have you ever heard of zakk wylde?
TS - you have to start paying attention to what it is you're actually playing. By that I mean think about the sounds you're making as opposed to blindly following patterns. Spend some time simply noodling slowly with the minor pentatonic, teach yourself to recognise the sounds and intervals and experiment with hearing sounds in yor head and reproducing them.

It doesn't matter if you play outside the minor pentationic, chances are that any notes you feel will sound good in your head will belong to the natural minor scale anyway. However, it's perfectly possible to play the minor pentatonic and not sound bluesy, you just have to listen to what you're playing. Ultimately the scale you're playing doesn't matter all that much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
TS - you have to start paying attention to what it is you're actually playing. By that I mean think about the sounds you're making as opposed to blindly following patterns. Spend some time simply noodling slowly with the minor pentatonic, teach yourself to recognise the sounds and intervals and experiment with hearing sounds in yor head and reproducing them.

It doesn't matter if you play outside the minor pentationic, chances are that any notes you feel will sound good in your head will belong to the natural minor scale anyway. However, it's perfectly possible to play the minor pentatonic and not sound bluesy, you just have to listen to what you're playing. Ultimately the scale you're playing doesn't matter all that much.

speaks to truth in this instance
Quote by steven seagull

cool thanks i shall give that a try
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Listen to artists that have the sound you want, and try to cop licks that way.

I myself am having a similar problem, and am working up the time-line.

For example, I'm taking licks from Tony Iommi, have he has a blues-metal vibe going, making it easy for me to get into, then, eventually, taking licks from Kirk hammet, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, and the like.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Quote by Jumeriah
um..........................what? metal doesnt use pentatonic? have you ever heard of zakk wylde?

That was quite an exaggeration but a lost of Metal uses different scales.....and please never mention Zakk Wylde......Hearing Crazy Train live has made me fear the name...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
That was quite an exaggeration but a lost of Metal uses different scales.....and please never mention Zakk Wylde......Hearing Crazy Train live has made me fear the name...

It's still a ridiculous statement to make. In addition to Zakk Wylde, you have bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden that rely almost exclusively on pentatonics for soloing. K.K. Downing, Glenn Tipton and Dave Mustaine also come to mind, as do some of the earliest examples of metal and hard rock, like AC/DC.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Kirk Hammett doesn't use the pentatonic scale? That's like saying Cars don't use roads.