Hey everyone,

I am in the process of picking and purchasing a new guitar and I have run into the various different kinds of pickups there are out there. I play in a wide variety of styles from metal to jazz but I wasn't sure what kind of pickups would be best for me.
I know EMGs are known for being "metal" pickups but I do not know much about Ibanez LoZs pickups.
What I'm looking for really is a pickup that is great for distortion but doesn't completely suck for clean tones and such.

If anyone has any helpful advice or past experiences it would be great to hear them.

Thanks,

th3n33ms
Dimarzio Tone Zone or the D-Activator series. Even the Super Distortions.. Ibanez do 'good pickups and EMG are very metal and serious gain workhorses, but for tone they do actually suck (and i have so many EMG's in my guitars i should be sponsered :|) seriously people Dimarzio or BareKnuckle Pickups are THE one
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
Well emg's are pretty much geared for one style of music....i would suggest Seymour Duncan...to me they are the best pickups on the planet because they provide you with great tone without taking anything away from the guitars natural tone (if that makes any sense). Depending on you own prefferences...i would suggest you go with either the Distortion or the JB for the bridge position and the '59 or Jazz for he neck position
The guitar I have in mind is a Ibanez ART300 http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=ART400
It has the Ibanez LoZ and that's why I was asking whether they are good or not. I haven't heart much about the dimarzio pickups but I have heard that Seymour Duncan (not Seymour Designed knockoffs) are amazing pickups.

If I was to buy the Ibanez ART300 (also any opinions on how good of a guitar this is? I played it and it sounded great to me, and for the $430 price tag it seemed like a great deal) how difficult would it be to replace the pickups with lets say Seymour Duncans and how expensive would it turn out to be?
Well, from what i heard about that guitar, is that the pickups respond to your amp settings and such.

If you went passive you would have to switch out the electronics, so either try the pickups already on the guitar, or get blackouts or EMG's
Can anyone give me any links or information about the LoZ pickups, I googled them but came up with close to nothing?
buy the ibanez. i have the 120, best decision i ever made. the bridge has my favourite distortion tone ever, and the neck is warm as you'd like, full of tone. buy the guitar, i promise you you won't be disappointed!
Quote by nemesis65
Well emg's are pretty much geared for one style of music....i would suggest Seymour Duncan...to me they are the best pickups on the planet because they provide you with great tone without taking anything away from the guitars natural tone (if that makes any sense). Depending on you own prefferences...i would suggest you go with either the Distortion or the JB for the bridge position and the '59 or Jazz for he neck position

Wrong.

That's actually a common misconception on these forums and many other places.EMG offers pickups for nearly any genre of music including 8 string pups,7 string pups,6 string humbuckers in a wide variety including models with coil splitting functions,single coil models designed in the spirit of vintage strat SC's,and telecaster replacement pups that replicate classic tele tone with more bit and presence.If you use them with a decent amp and know how to set up your EQ properly then you can get a lot of different sounds out of them.I've used them for everything from jazz to progressive metal,and while they may not be the most organic or dynamic pickup out there,they're certainly not a one trick pony.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.