EDIT:
So I ordered the fuzz pedal, and this thread answered all my questions but one. they sent PNP and NPN transistors with the kit. but they only have one schematic for silicon. do i just put in the transistor i want, or do i have to change something else too? Thanks.

okay. i'm planning on ordering the fuzz face from gereralguitargadgets.com
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=130&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45&vmcchk=1&Itemid=45
it has 5 different versions that you can build.
I wanna build the simple silicon transistor one first, and then make so i can switch back and forth between those and germanium ones.

but on that site, they talk about PNP and NPN, and honestly, i have no idea what that means.

Can someone explain this to me?
(maybe kurtlives, or ec?)
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Last edited by gtrhero93 at Apr 21, 2008,
PNP and NPN are just referring to the type of transistor it is using.

Without going into too much detail you probably want NPN if your building a silicon version. You can then use a standard adapter and use the pedal in a daisy chain. With PNP transistors you would need a separate adapter.

If you don't use an adapter go for which ever version. If your building the germanium version use PNP. There are way more guitar type germanium transistors that are useful in Fuzz Faces that are PNP then NPN. You could always wire a PNP with negative ground so then you could use an adapter. You might have some slight hum and oscillation issues then.

I would just go with PNP if your going with germs and have a little SPST switch to disconnect the battery totally when not in use. Then you can leave a lead in your input and the battery wont drain.
Simple, N=negative and P=positive. One transistor flows one way (electrically) and the other flows the other way.
so if i build the npn silicon one and daisychained the adapter (which is what i do), later on, how simple would it be to change it to pnp?

also, what woulod i do if i wanted the option of selecting between silicon and germanium?
would i make it so i can also switch between npn and pnp?
-Gibson SG Faded
i may be way off but you would have to change the polarity of the whole circuit to change between PNP and NPN, correct?
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
is it possible to change the polarity, or would i have to do either npn or pnp.

because i know it's possible to make it with both transistors, they did it at beavisaudio.com

i'm just not sure how to do it.
-Gibson SG Faded
Yep its either one or the other. The PNP or pos ground pedals need to run on batteries as they dont go well with regular neg ground pedals on a daisy chain.
well i could put it on another adapter right?

and which one should i do if i want to put in both types of transistors?
-Gibson SG Faded
http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/FuzzCloneMods_V2.gif

this page shows the mod where he makes it switchable between the two transistors.

if you have to switch polarity, how does his work?
-Gibson SG Faded
Quote by gtrhero93
so if i build the npn silicon one and daisychained the adapter (which is what i do), later on, how simple would it be to change it to pnp?

also, what woulod i do if i wanted the option of selecting between silicon and germanium?
would i make it so i can also switch between npn and pnp?

You would need to reverse electro caps and diodes if you have them. You will also have to reverse the + and - of your battery, power source.

You need a DPDT or 3PDT for switching between the two. You might have a slight issue wiht biasing though.
I would definitely go PNP Germanium and use batteries. NPN Silicon Fuzz Faces sound bad with the FF circuit, wheras the PNP Ge Fuzz Faces sound excellent out of the box..
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The PNP circuit by itself doesnt drain a batt real fast an LED would pull it down faster if you used one. But if you want the original tone of a fuzz face then PNP is the way to go. They are supposed to work really good if you put it first in line of effects. They respond well to the volume control on your guitar that way. Fuzz central has the plans for the original 2 knob fuzz and the one I like the 3 knob.
okay, so according to GGG, their fuzz face comes with pnp and npn silicon transistors.
of the 5 schematics they have, it doesn't look like they have a pnp silicon transistor schematic.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=130&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

(don't worry. once i make this, i'll order germ. transistors and mod it to switch between)
-Gibson SG Faded
bump
-Gibson SG Faded
that's what i thought^

but i only see the schematic for npn silicon and pnp germanium. can i just use the pnp ge schem with pnp si transistors?
-Gibson SG Faded