I have the chance to buy a Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 combo amp, but if I get it ive gotta sell my Randall RH200SC halfstack, should go for it? There are only a handful of clips on youtube but from what I heard it sounds killer. Is the amp basically the same as the head just with less wattage? I'll be playing stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Trivium, BFMV, Killswitch, In Flames and Dark Tranquility type stuff, will this amp be able to handle all of these types of tones? Im mainly concerned about the lower tuned tones, as I play a lot of drop C stuff.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Yes.

That Randall really can't hold a candle to the Triple XXX.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
definitely go for it, the triple xxx will sound much better.
plus i doubt you need a half stack anyway, so it might even be more convenient to haul around.
awesome thanks guys, and yeah its true I dont need a halfstack.

I do have another question though, how do they sound at lower volumes? It doesnt have a master volume knob. Can it get good tones at lower volumes?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
awesome thanks guys, and yeah its true I dont need a halfstack.

I do have another question though, how do they sound at lower volumes? It doesnt have a master volume knob. Can it get good tones at lower volumes?

It sounds fine at lower volumes. I like it better with the tight resonance when it's at lower volumes though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Off topic but, why is it called the "Triple XXX"? Wouldnt that be XXXXXXXXX?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

haha I have no idea

Will the super 40 sound anything like the standard 60 watt combo, like in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Me_zYbwKY
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by mike.h

Haha, eggsactly!

And my super 40 is nice at low volume(better higher of course) the only thing that is a little difficult to get used to is the active controls of the ultra channel because you have to make very small adjustments to get the right tone usually.

Oh yeah, that youtube clip has the same growl/raw thing going on that my super 40 has.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by yoyodunno
Haha, eggsactly!

And my super 40 is nice at low volume(better higher of course) the only thing that is a little difficult to get used to is the active controls of the ultra channel because you have to make very small adjustments to get the right tone usually.

Oh yeah, that youtube clip has the same growl/raw thing going on that my super 40 has.

awesome bro! really excited about getting this amp now, best get the randall on ebay

I do need to ask though, how is the active eq different to a standard eq?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
awesome bro! really excited about getting this amp now, best get the randall on ebay

I do need to ask though, how is the active eq different to a standard eq?

Well with normal eq's ya kno its like you can only cut the frequencies, but with an active eq you can cut or boost. So its kindof like if you have the active eq at 12 o'clock that would be like a passive one at full. But its not exactly the same because another factor comes into play is that with the triple xxx, each control affects the others, so if you boost one control too much it could overshadow the others, type of thing.

I think the best sound comes from using the controls like a passive eq meaning all of them less than 12 o'clock. But you can get some very exaggerated tones by boosting if thats what you want.
Quote by yoyodunno
Well with normal eq's ya kno its like you can only cut the frequencies, but with an active eq you can cut or boost. So its kindof like if you have the active eq at 12 o'clock that would be like a passive one at full. But its not exactly the same because another factor comes into play is that with the triple xxx, each control affects the others, so if you boost one control too much it could overshadow the others, type of thing.

I think the best sound comes from using the controls like a passive eq meaning all of them less than 12 o'clock. But you can get some very exaggerated tones by boosting if thats what you want.

I see, sweet man, im guessing its gonna take a long time for me to find the 'sweet spot' with this amp, well im getting it later today so i'll have plenty of time to have a play with it.
Quote by yoyodunno
Haha, eggsactly!

+1

I have the XXL. The active EQ makes it hard to dial in good tones easily. It's taken me a few months to get a sound I really like out of it. If you want some settings just PM me.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!