Hi, I'm a beginner, and I have a Peavey Raptor. I'm thinking about getting some new strings, but don't know what brand/kind I should get. I'm still learning, but I can play a few songs by these artists: Hendrix, Iron Maiden, Black sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Nirvana, Ozzy, Alien Ant Farm, White Stripes, The Beatles, and Lustra, if that helps. I was thinking about the Ernie Ball Slinkies as the reviews are good. Any opinions on what I should get?
Get whatever.

As long the strings are comfortable to play, use them.

I use ernie ball, nothing wrong with them, work great.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The brand of string you use makes almost no difference on your tone. The difference between roundwounds vs. flatwounds is obvious, and some people might actually feel a difference between brands, but the difference in tone is nonexistent.

Just try few brands and see if you have a preference.
ernire ball or elixer

from experience they have been the best, but I might not like the same ones as you.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Thanks for the quick replies.

And Simsimius - are the ernie ball easy to play on?
Because these stock strings are crap compared to the strings on my friend's guitar. I think I just want something that bends easily.
Small gauge, brand new, ernie ball strings are really nice [to play on]! But any size will be nice too.

And when the strings have been covered in GHS fast fret, it makes the strings MUCH nicer, brighter, and so much easier to play.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Gerald The Mous

Because these stock strings are crap compared to the strings on my friend's guitar. I think I just want something that bends easily.

That is more dependant on guage rather than brand. So built up finger strength ona few sets of guage 10s then either stick with 10s or use 9s but be warned they feel dead sloppy.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
The differences are mainly in feel and longevity, which both depend on your hands as well. There can be differences in materials, for instance I use pure nickel as opposed to nickel plated steel.

You'll have to try out different strings and find out what you like best. Ernie Ball, D'Addario, DR, and GHS are all high quality strings. I highly prefer DR. Also, what bends easily is up to you as well. If you play your whole life on 9's then if you go to 11s they will be hard to play on. I use 11s which I have no problem with and if I play on 9s they feel floppy to me, which I don't like.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Gerald The Mous

That's more about the string's gauge than the brand. In your case, i would suggest gauge .9 of any brand.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I have only tried D'Addarios and they are great.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Wow, you guys answer threads pretty quickly, lol.
I'm getting advice for .9 to .11, so its mostly about personal preference?
Quote by Gerald The Mous
Wow, you guys answer threads pretty quickly, lol.
I'm getting advice for .9 to .11, so its mostly about personal preference?

Yes.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
When i first started i used the super slinkys, was much easier to train my finger strength up with and bend notes ect.
I now used regular slinkys but have used other brands before, i just prefere the slinkys for some reason.
Just shop around a bit i guess if you live in the states strings are half the price than over here so you can ty twice as much :P
I too play on Ernie Balls (regular slinky) and they work fine for me. There was no real difference in bending compared to the stock strings on my Squier Strat, it's still technique that does it of course (and the gauge). There's a difference in sound between these and the stock ones, in a positive way. Just about any strings you buy will sound better then the stock ones on beginner guitars, specially these are a lot clearer and brighter in tone. My usual rythm shredding is going a bit easier now too (I broke the low E string after 7 months finally). I'd certainly try Ernie Balls, but I'm planning to test D'addario's as well later on. Maybe go to www.ernieball.com and check out what strings your favorite bands are playing (Iron Maiden, Hetfield, Hammet, Vai, Clapton, Petrucci, ... they all use Ernie Balls).

EDIT: if you haven't played that long (considering you got a Raptor) you might want to buy .10's, so that you can get more strenght in your fingers. It'll be easier to go from .10's to .09's then the other way around, and you can still go for a .09 later on.
Last edited by Fzau at Apr 6, 2008,