The top machine head (for the top E) has broken, and I need to replace it. However, there's some stuff I need to know first.

1) Compatibility - I'm guessing there are different sizes and types. How can I find out what I need? I have a Squier Affinity Strat...

2) All the ones I've seen so far are in full sets of 6 and I only need one. Anyone know where I can just buy a single one?

3) If I do have to get a full set, (or if I don't), what are a good brand? I don't want to spend loads.....

Thanks in advance.
Quote by sam i am

I wouldn't trust those.

I don't know about finding a single machine head, but...

Quote by T!AN
...depending on how much you plan on spending and the type of guitar you have, this may be a good time to upgrade to locking tuners. If your guitar has a locking tremelo it would be pointless, but...

for locking either Sperzel or Schaller will do you well, something like this or this

as for non-locking Grovers are nice
is it a groover tuner, i know how to fix them easy
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by T!AN
depending on how much you plan on spending and the type of guitar you have, this may be a good time to upgrade to locking tuners. If your guitar has a locking tremelo it would be pointless, but...

for locking either Sperzel or Schaller will do you well, something like this or this

as for non-locking Grovers are nice

+1

Just replace them all, it's worth it in the end since Squier stock tuners are quite crap.
I go for replacing them all
but make sure you pick the right one's

If they won't fit the hole size then you'll have wasted your money

Oh also know that if you're thinking of buying locking machineheads
alot of them need additional drilling, one of the one's I know don't are Grover Locking Rotomatics ... But they are a direct swap for grover rotomatics and they aren't found on squiers (I don't think anyways)
I would prefer not to do any drilling. I don't trust myself.

http://www.guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.com/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d511.html

I take it that the little screw things coming off the side of the it will require the extra drilling.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/897-sperzel_6_in_line_locking_tuners_

This one I hope requires no drilling, am I right? That is providing it fits the hole right.

Btw, these locking tuners seem a little expensive, I need to discuss with my parents. If anyone can recommend me some cheaper, maybe non-locking tuners, then tha would be good.

Btw I am in the UK.
They look ok... especially for the price.... I've heard of wilkinson before, they're on those vintage guitars I think. my dad just bought one.

I might try them out, £15 isn't as much of a gamble.