So I just had an argument with me friend, who went into musical elitist mode. We were discussing chords, and I mentioned my hatred of the F Major chord, and then he told me I play it wrong anyway. I play it as:

And apparently he says I have to play it as:

I just wanted to know if we're technically both right, and he's just being an arse, or that I'm just being a noob.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Your way includes the sixth (D) and seventh (E), so technically you are wrong. You're playing an F6/E.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
you can cop out of the barre and play it xx3211 and that is technically right, but 133211 is the correct F major.
the way you have it tabbed out, the o should be x's. then it's a F major chord
The second one is a barre chord. The first one is right apart from the low E string shouldnt be played.
I just wanted to know if we're technically both right, and he's just being an arse, or that I'm just being a noob.

You're both wrong. You aren't playing an F major chord, and you most certainly don't have to play it as a barre chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
if you take your open strings, and don't play them, then you have what is considered the open F chord. if you take your friend's way, that is what is considered an F Barre chord.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.