I don't really know any theory, and the book that I bought isn't helping too much on that end, and I'm having a little trouble with the tutorials on the site. I'm looking at this

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/page2.php

and I'm wondering, can you can play these same shapes at anywhere on the neck? I figure scales help me train my ears or something, and maybe learn the notes all over the neck.
Quote by spark29
can you can play these same shapes at anywhere on the neck? I figure scales help me train my ears or something, and maybe learn the notes all over the neck.

Yeah, just different root.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Yes, If you want to think about it like this it could help.

The major scale has a pattern, that will remain the same. By pattern I do not mean how to actually construct the scale. But how to change the key. Each pattern has a root note that stays the same in the pattern. For example...

e--------------------------------------------2-3-5
B--------------------------------------3-5---------
G----------------------------2-4-5----------------
D--------------------2-4-5------------------------
A------------2-3-5---------------------------------
E--2-(3)-5------------------------------------------

That's the G major scale. The 3rd fret on the E string is the root (It's a G note). So if you move that root note to the 5th fret E string it would become A major scale because that note is an A.

Hope this helps
those scales in that tutorial can all just be moved...if you have a scale pattern and know where your root not is, then you can just move that about the board. It gets trickier once you need scales where the root note is not on the e-string. The "red" notes in that tutorial is always the root note or the octave of the root note.