Page 1 of 2
Well I searched and found nothing, soooooo...

Who here has had their wisdom teeth removed?
I recently found out I need all four removed. What is involved? Do they use Nitrous oxide or novocaine?

Stories?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
i have and they did it with laughing gas

no real stories from it, but the holes in the back of your mouth afterwards are kinda weird
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
I just had mine out Tuesday.
It still ****ing hurts.
I got an intravenous which knocked me out so it took all of 30 seconds (Or so I thought).
Also, they give you novocaine.
But good luck!
I'm getting mine removed soon. They told me I'll be asleep if I wanted to be put to sleep.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko
I'm getting mine removed soon. They told me I'll be asleep if I wanted to be put to sleep.

definitely the way to go
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by kikaykitko

"put to sleep"
I'd prefer nitrous oxide; I get freaked out in the dentist even when they're simply scraping my teeth.

I hate that...
Quote by PanHead
"put to sleep"

Euthanasia.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by kikaykitko

Yeah, that's exactly what I had.
I was going to not have it that way...
But thank god I did, it would have been horrible being awake.
Quote by kikaykitko

theyre going to put you to sleep?
I got mine taken out a few weeks ago.

I supposedly threw up on the doctor in my sleep. The first thing he said to me when I woke up was "Did you have spaghetti?". I found it hilarious... I don't think he did.

We're all in the gutter, but I'm looking at the rats.
You guys seriously get to be put asleep or get laughing gas at the freakin dentists?
I don't say this often, but goddamn some people are wussies. I got all four taken out and just got a little novocaine so it wouldn't hurt, no reason to freak out, geez...
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
i have to get mine out on may 16 i have been freaking out about it for like the last 5 months but now the more i think about it its really not gonna be bad at all. the worst part will probably be sitting in the waiting room waiting for it
I had mine out in November 2006, I think. I can't remember what they gave me, but I can't remember the procedure at all. Afterwards, I couldn't eat real food for a week, my cheeks/jaw were swollen, and I was out of school for a few days. Don't worry, though. The pain goes away quickly, and then you just have to take it easy and let things heal. Good luck.
Thanks all, doesn't sound like it will be too bad.
Quote by shattamakar

im 19 and ive got 2 teeth coming through now. Do they have to come out?
Quote by Tombe
Shut your noise, I was 18 when I had mine. About 30 seconds later the girl was sick on me. I'm not sure if the two events were related.
Quote by adamstartin
im 19 and ive got 2 teeth coming through now. Do they have to come out?

It depends on if they're affecting your other teeth.
Quote by shattamakar

The best part of it is that the more calories/bad stuff you eat, the better you feel, so you can basically eat as much of whatever you want and it gets you better.

I got a whole bunch of milkshakes when I got mine out . Make sure you get your prescription for pain meds filled though, and when you're done with them, send leftovers to me.
I have all four of my teeth and they're fine, was more annoying when they were coming through tbh, had to bite really hard to break my gums for them because they were just stretching.

I don't need mind out fortunately.
Quote by dingmydong
You guys seriously get to be put asleep or get laughing gas at the freakin dentists?
I don't say this often, but goddamn some people are wussies. I got all four taken out and just got a little novocaine so it wouldn't hurt, no reason to freak out, geez...

A lot of people handle it differently. For some people, they're much more impacted, so it's a LOT tougher to get them out. My girlfriend had hers out in January. She was told she would be asleep for it, but apparently the anesthesia didn't take hold or something. She was wide awake, and felt everything. She was screaming and telling them to stop, but they just told her to keep still.
Just last week, the extraction site got really badly infected, but it's cleared up now.
I had all four removed in once session...didn't go to school for a week and just played PC...that was cool...but I couldn't eat anything delicious for a few days...just soup...and I suggest you get some pain killers because I only got a few and used them up quickly and had none left...hurt like a bitch eventually...its not really that its that painful, it just gets on your nerves...hamster cheeks look ridiculous, and your cheeks will be a little bruised afterwards...its all more annoying than painful, so don't worry. The only thing painful was getting the stitches removed...oh and you'll be spitting blood for about a week which kicks ass. Have fun!

edit:

They gave me something to make me sleep too...I chose that because I thought the whole thing would take like 2 hours and I don't feel like staying awake for that long cause I'd get bored...not sure how long it too...I got one of those cool patient robes...the ones where your ass hangs out at the back...when I woke up I was kinda delirious and just got up and tried walking out not knowing where to go...almost went into the corridor full of people who would have probably seen me with my bare ass hangin' out wandering through the place...that would have been embarassing
Last edited by Feischti at Apr 6, 2008,
Yeah they should give you novacane and put you to sleep. That's what they did to me.

TIP: You'll be delirious when you wake up. DON'T BITE THE NURSE! I sadly know this from experience
Wow. Am I the only one who wasn't put to sleep when having wisdom teeth removed? All I got was a shot of novacaine/anestesia and had to sit through it wide awake.
I got all 4 of mine out last november and I wasn't put to sleep. I was in and out of the surgery room within 30 mins. Although I was frozen, some things did still hurt, but it's not that bad. I just didn't want to have to **** with not eating all day to get put to sleep.

And the next couple days kinda sucked.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I'm getting mine out April 23rd.

Quote by kikaykitko

I was wanted to be unconcious, but I would have to be in the hospital. Which would cost like $5000, which my family really can't afford atm. Goddamn american health care. So I'm getting valium before to help with anxiety, plus Nitrous Oxide and something intraveinous(sp?). And I'm gonna stay up all night before, so hopefully I'll fall asleep anyway.
The scariest thing for me is that they often give you a memory-erasing drug.

So you could very well wake up during the procedure, do/say anything, and you'll never know.
Quote by garden of grey
1. They suck. Lots of pain involved for a few days haha.

2. On the good side, you are going to be able to fail your PO's tests for oxycodone (Possibly, it seems more common than hydrocodone over here for wisdom teeth at least) oddly enough hahaha.

3. Bring some music to listen to during the whole procedure. The nitrous makes it fun and it helps you get the whole surgery off of your mind.

Yeah, I have to let them know that I'll test positive for opiates.
Quote by Delanoir
The scariest thing for me is that they often give you a memory-erasing drug.

So you could very well wake up during the procedure, do/say anything, and you'll never know.

Rohypnol dentist-rape?
Quote by shattamakar

i got mine out last spring, its nothing that bad as long as you follow the doctors instructions.
they'll prolly give you novacaine, and an IV with something strong in it. you'll be asleep, and best of all, you get strong pain pills for after.
just remember to do whatever they tell you regarding hot/cold packs on your cheeks.
i had a very fast recovery as well, i got them out on a monday, and i was talking/laughing/smiling just fine by wedsday, by friday i could eat meat.
the only weird thing with me is, i had SIX wisdom teeth, the surgeon dude said i was his first mutant.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Attention readers of this thread: send me your hydro/oxy. Thanks for your cooperation. That is all.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by p o e
i got mine out last spring, its nothing that bad as long as you follow the doctors instructions.
they'll prolly give you novacaine, and an IV with something strong in it. you'll be asleep, and best of all, you get strong pain pills for after.
just remember to do whatever they tell you regarding hot/cold packs on your cheeks.
i had a very fast recovery as well, i got them out on a monday, and i was talking/laughing/smiling just fine by wedsday, by friday i could eat meat.
the only weird thing with me is, i had SIX wisdom teeth, the surgeon dude said i was his first mutant.

What the hell? How were they positioned?
Quote by shattamakar

Yeah had mine removed about 2 months ago. Like it was said it was more annoying than painful. You wont remember a thing. They put me on nitrous then when they gave me the iv i was out. Youre pretty messed up for the rest of the day too. I also got lortabs for pain so it wasnt too bad. Btw you might puke either the day or the day after you get em out.
JAMC
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
Attention readers of this thread: send me your hydro/oxy. Thanks for your cooperation. That is all.

+1

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

You'll probably get prescribed some Hydrocodone if you ask for some painkillers (which I would). I've heard it hurts pretty bad. I think they use a mixture of Nitrous and Novocaine, although I'm not 100% sure on that.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by nosushi4you
You'll probably get prescribed some Hydrocodone if you ask for some painkillers (which I would). I've heard it hurts pretty bad. I think they use a mixture of Nitrous and Novocaine, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

I got Nitrous, Novacaine, General Anastasia, and a bottle of 15 Hydrocodone and 20 Motrin 600

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by walkinbazooka
Well I searched and found nothing, soooooo...

Who here has had their wisdom teeth removed?
I recently found out I need all four removed. What is involved? Do they use Nitrous oxide or novocaine?

Stories?

They used Nitrous Oxide on me when I got rid of all of them...it's quite minty. I woke up some 5 hours not feeling very much. When I did, it was b/c of aching gums and stitches...but it's not a big deal. There's always Tylenol. If you don't mind having yogurt and cottage cheese, then you'll be fine. I never required the heavy stuff...but then again anything less than a tetanus shot won't register with me.

Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

Stop posting Rush Limbaugh.
Quote by p o e

I have like 4.5 wisdom teeth. There are the regular 4 and then some blob of leftover tissue behind one of them. I also have to get mine out soon
i had all four removed. they gave me just laughing gas and novocaine. when they were stitching me up, i distinctly remember them referring to the stitches as "fishing line". but, the gas did its job and i actually had a pretty fun time.
i spent the rest of the day watching movies with a bags of ice on my face. the day after i ate a brat while tailgating at a Milwaukee Brewer's game. granted, it took me like 30 minutes to eat the damn thing, but still i was pretty proud of myself.
I just got novocain, it's not like gas, or knocking you out is going to reduce the pain any further, you already don't feel anything but pressure. Plus it's really cool to be fully aware of everything as the dentist is bracing on the chair, chiseling and ripping your teeth out.

Unless you need full invasive dental surgery because of roots wrapped around your jaw or whatever, they I'm sure they knock you completely out.

It's going to hurt like a bitch for quite a few days afterwards though. If he/she offers you a prescription for pain meds, you better take it.
Page 1 of 2