Is this a good amp? I played one at a store and loved it, but I didn't get to mess with it for long. I play a lot of SRV/blues, and old school (thrash- megadeth, metallica) metal, as well as shred-type stuff, though I also play jazz and classic rock (including 80's metal). I want a glassy clean tone, but also a thrash sound with a lot of bite and good lead tones (think friedman and gilbert).
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
It's pretty good, but a Peavey Valveking 112 would probably be a better choice given your interests.
This is the amp i got. First amp, i got it cause it had all these effects and different amp models. I love it.
can't really say im an expert tho as its my first amp, but i love that i can get all these different sounds out of it.
Quote by Fast2
This is the amp i got. First amp, i got it cause it had all these effects and different amp models. I love it.
can't really say im an expert tho as its my first amp, but i love that i can get all these different sounds out of it.

+1 its great
Quote by MudaFoka
It's pretty good, but a Peavey Valveking 112 would probably be a better choice given your interests.

unfortunately, the valveking is 150$ more, and since my parents will probably end up paying for it (even though i said i would earn the money) it will be the vox.

also, i haven't tried out a valveking yet, though i'd like to.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by MudaFoka

+1

VKs are very versatile.
The Valvetronix are good for everything <i>except</i> metal where you need high-gain tones. I don't think for thrash metal and shredding, but excellent for everything else you like.
a Vox would be a good choice, it actuallt has fairly good distortion if you dial in the right things
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
perhaps. i'll just have to see how it turns out.

but if i can't get the VK, then the vox is a good choice?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

I recently played the VOX AD50 at a local music store. I think the sound is similar to the 30? Someone else might help with that question. Anyway, I have to say that I was most impressed with the VOX AD50 especially for it's price point! Honestly, if I was in need of another AMP that VOX would be high on my list! (Again, for it's price it is nearly a steal.)

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Peace
Well i guese the regular thing to say on this website is just this, tube>hybrid, i would rather have a really good modeler than a semi alright tube amp. the vox does emulate alot of good tones and hell if you like it and it delivers, go for it and buy it. But also try out other amps aswell in your price range and see if you prefer it to the vox, and if you find something that you think sounds bettor then go for that.
I have the advt30vt and the advt30-xl
Both very good amps.
Quote by THE-KID654
what exactly do you need the amp for? other than playing.

MAYBE playing at school or at a block party or something. like, in a cul-de-sac or a school gym/auditorium.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

very nice amps.i didnt dig the valveking,i liked the tone outta the valvetronix.it had its fare share of gain(playing through the xl series)
I used to own the AD30VT and I think it's among the better affordable modeling amps. I sampled a comparably priced Line 6 and the Vox is tops!

If you decide to get the AD30VT, I strongly suggest getting Vox's 2-button footswitch for it as well. Button one is your memory channel select and the amp can be programmed to use the second button in either of two ways - effects bypass or, my personal favorite, manual mode.

With manual mode, you can have 3 amp/effects programs at your foot. Very flexible.

Oh, someone said it didn't do the high gain very well, but I found the Nu Metal and US High Gain amp models very gainy. If you have fairly high-output humbuckers, you should have no trouble sounding pretty brootal.

I also found the Tweed 4x10('59 Bassman) to sound great for cleans. The Blackface 2x12(Twin Reverb) is nice too but it lacks bottom at lower volumes. The Vox AC15 and AC30TB models sound great, as you would expect Vox to make models of their own amps the most convincing and best sounding. For AC/DC type stuff, the '70s UK model is wonderful and great for some fat cleans as well. The Boutique OD is sweet for some driven SRV tones and crank it for Billy Gibbons' pinched harmonics a-plenty.
Last edited by carpepax at Apr 7, 2008,
The distortion is more than enough, fits for Lamb of god even.

Amp of many goodly goods.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
sweet. i also might need it for recording.

can you guys suggest other amps to try? under the 300$ price range? or is the vox as good as it gets for that price?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

For modulation, vox is a good as i gets.

in fact, You von't get a versatile tube amp in that range. In hybrid and moddeling amps, Vox is the best. You don't really want a cheap transistor combo.

I'd try Kustom if they are availible. But I don't know if they beat the VOX valvetronix.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Valveking FTW. I used to think the AD30VT gain wasn't bad but after hearing better stuff, the gain on the Vox is muddy as hell. AD30VT = Bad for metal.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by omghi2u
Valveking FTW. I used to think the AD30VT gain wasn't bad but after hearing better stuff, the gain on the Vox is muddy as hell. AD30VT = Bad for metal.

And you tried the AD30 for how long?
I am kinda driven between this amp and Roland Cube 30X.I would like something that would nicely pull some Metallica/Megadeth style leads.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
seems like the two amps recommended most are the VK and the vox. what about other brands? laney? crate? mesa/boogie?
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

I have the 50 watt verions, and it is a very good amp. Make sure if you buy it to upgrade the 12AX7 tube in it, the one that comes stock isn't great, but I put a mesa boogie tube in mine, and it really warmed up the sound a lot.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!