So yesterday, I wrote this pretty sick stanza of lyrics. I had the melody and everything and I was thinking to myself "holy ****, this song is AWESOME". Today, I decided to try singing + playing with the lyrics and now the song sucks. Whatever made this so great yesterday, I am just not feeling it anymore. What do I do? Take a break or play through it?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Question: Were you drunk/high/other when you came up with it?
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
take a break, i do that a lot with riffs i make im like
OMG TIS TEH AWESOME!!!!!
then when i show my band mates or something im like wai wtf is this ****
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Quote by seedmole
Question: Were you drunk/high/other when you came up with it?

nope. Maybe its just the chords I am playing don't go with the melody? I dunno I am going to experiment a little more, if I can't do anything with it, I am going to stop.

EDIT: I just tried to remember it
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
I just tried to remember it
You're probably not playing the same thing as you were last night. Download PT and write down anything good you think of.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You're probably not playing the same thing as you were last night. Download PT and write down anything good you think of.

well I also wasn't playing it with an instrument last night

by the way, who is that in your avatar?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

by the way, who is that in your avatar?

Elliot Reid from Scrubs (tv show)

if you didn't have an instrument that's probably why.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
its Sarah Chalke, who plays Eliot Reed on Scrubs.

yep, I'm a fan.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Dr. Elliot Reid from Scrubs. She is played by Sarah Chalke.

right, I knew she looked familiar
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

That might be why. There have been many times where I've come up with a beautiful melody, and then I tried to play it with my guitar, and it would just ruin it. Sometimes I've found that playing with an instrument can alter the the melody, thus ruining it. It's a pain in the ass.

Try to remember it the best you can, and keep on practicing the melody before you add an instrument to it. Its really tough, and annoying when that happens. It has happened to me far too many times.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I used to come up with cool riffs at school and i'd try my best to write them down so i could play them when i got home. They always sounded like crap and i never remembered the original riff.

Get a little recording device and bring it with you. My cell phone has this "Voice Memo" thing so i can record things into it and play it later. Hum your melody and record it with something like that and then when you go to play it you'll have a good thing to go by.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Recording Device = A songwriters BEST friend. A song you come up with can be played a million different ways, and if you find a good riff or sound chances are you will lose it tomarrow trying to just remember it.
Quote by AA00P
Story of my life.

+1 haha

It seems that sometimes if you are tired or in an odd state of mind you end up writing a golden riff that sounds terrible in the morning. Personally, if I actually think that something is worth remembering and it's not just me, I record it quick. You could just have a mic set up, lots of computers have built in mics, I just throw my 1/4 inch cable from the guitar into a converter and straight into the computer (line in). Quality is terrible but as long as you can remember what you were playing it shouldn't be a big deal.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10