Page 1 of 2
I am so beyond fed up with people saying that speed and shredding are horrible forms of guitar. everyone who says they play with "emotion" and that shred guitar sucks if full of crap. most "emotional" players are just recycling phrases and licks they heard from someone else. why is it that all emotion based guitar players play the same damn thing all the time??? i mean find something better to do like hang yourself with your cord. there is more to music than blues pentatonics and thinking you are such a deep human being. i would love to see one of those guys play some Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker or even some friggin Metallica.... I guarantee they would fail miserably doin it. so they are not the greatest thing around... just led to believe that because they are narrow minded

i love the blues, jazz, classical, rock, metal, country/bluegrass is the sugar honey iced tea. i am not putting them down at all just saying to the emotional guitarist to stop their bitching

I am a guitar instructor. i can do both emotion and speed. (granted i do the shred guitar more) i can even do both at the same time but i still get to hear crap from every B.B. King wannabe out there.

It is annoying.
*reported*

I hope you're a lot more mature around your students
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well Hendrix didn't have EXTREME skill, but he played with emotion and he's somehow the #1 guitarist in history.

But I believe that shredding has lots of emotion, maybe even more then...slow playing I guess?
Quote by Ze_Metal
Well Hendrix didn't have EXTREME skill, but he played with emotion and he's somehow the #1 guitarist in history.

i don't agree hendrix was pretty good but i wouldn't call him the best in history
As a guitar instructor you should know what is needed and where. Shredding over a blues piece is nonsence as is plaing a clean Tele over a heavy metal thing.
Quote by exect4500
i don't agree hendrix was pretty good but i wouldn't call him the best in history

Well, me either. He is just thought to be the best by many many people. I don't see him as the best however.
well, its a different emotion. if the only emotions were slow sad and mildly amused, then life would suck. thats why there are other intense emotions, like rage, excitement, whatever
id like to hear more emotional players try doing stuff like a massive build up to an intense series of notes then to dive back down without playing fast.
Quote by Ze_Metal

But I believe that shredding has lots of emotion, maybe even more then...slow playing I guess?

Opinion (ə-pĭn'yən): A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

It's an opinion. I think Dozens of guitarists are far better than he was at his peak.

And yes i'm sick of hearing it too. Shred is an art and skill, just like playing with emotion is. And the thing is, shred can be very emotional too. Just listen to Vai's For The Love of God.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by Ze_Metal
Well, me either. He is just thought to be the best by many many people. I don't see him as the best however.

I can't really say whether Hendrix was the best guitarist ever, but you have to look at the time period he lived in, he was using techniques that were not the norm back then like wah wah and fuzz tone and his style was unlike anyone else of the time, he may not be the most talented guitar player, but his greatness comes more from his influence he had on people, for the guitar world he was a revolutionary of his tme.
hendrix was amazing i am not going to say he wasnt because he was amazing.

i dont like that metal and shred guitar players are criticized for what they do and always by someone who doesnt even play that style.

you will never hear a metal guitar player say jimi hendrix sucked but you will hear an "emotional" guitar player say kerry king sucks or kirk hammett sucks and all because of emotion .. wah wah wah stop your crying.

btw my students love me and i am a professional at work. also i teach both emotion and phrasing as well as speed and technique so buzz off !!
huh, last time i checked this was the Guitar and Bass Basics forum not the State my opinion and brag about how good of a teacher i am forum...
Depends on what shred/fast playing you're talking about. You can play really fast and still have a lot of feeling to it (EVH for example). But there are guys who just play really fast and technically are very good-but don't have any emotion. You can really say this about type of guitar playing however. You're going to get people with feeling to their sound, and those without it in any form of playing.
Quote by McBainZ84
I am so beyond fed up with people saying that speed and shredding are horrible forms of guitar. everyone who says they play with "emotion" and that shred guitar sucks if full of crap. most "emotional" players are just recycling phrases and licks they heard from someone else. why is it that all emotion based guitar players play the same damn thing all the time??? i mean find something better to do like hang yourself with your cord. there is more to music than blues pentatonics and thinking you are such a deep human being. i would love to see one of those guys play some Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker or even some friggin Metallica.... I guarantee they would fail miserably doin it. so they are not the greatest thing around... just led to believe that because they are narrow minded

i love the blues, jazz, classical, rock, metal, country/bluegrass is the sugar honey iced tea. i am not putting them down at all just saying to the emotional guitarist to stop their bitching

I am a guitar instructor. i can do both emotion and speed. (granted i do the shred guitar more) i can even do both at the same time but i still get to hear crap from every B.B. King wannabe out there.

It is annoying.

thats a bit hipocritical
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker or even some friggin Metallica.... I guarantee they would fail miserably doin it.

Well i think you under-estimate guitarist for what they put out there

For example John frusciatnte isn't known for playing shred. But i'm pretty confident he can.
Also players like tommy emmanual who show a huge amount of emotion and compositional talent could probably play anything you put infront of him.

Alot of what your saying is slagging off guitar players who influence the people they listen to.

It's like a metallica fan saying Brian May is ****.

Shred is a great guitar skill and all guitarist should practice it. However it's one of many things needed to become a great guitarist.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Shredding and speed picking has become nothing more than a race to the finish line by a whole buttload of kids thinking they can be the next Yngwie or whoever it may be in the public eye on this particular day.
Just look at all the posts about how fast someone can pick. Geez, there's another one just popped up a few mins ago, about how do you clock how many notes a second you can pick. Who cares?
Guitaring at it's basest form is an expression of yourself. If speed and everything fast is you, then play your guitar like that. If not, play something else. It's supposed to be fun, not a race. That's my 2 cents worth.
Quote by McBainZ84
i would love to see one of those guys play some Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker or even some friggin Metallica.... I guarantee they would fail miserably doin it. so they are not the greatest thing around... just led to believe that because they are narrow minded

Oh the hypocrisy...

Seriously dude; maybe they honestly don't feel anything from shred and they're just wording it badly because they don't quite understand that it's just some people that feel no emotion? Anyway, I'm fed up of the whole "emotion" debate anyway; I and just about every other guitar player on the planet play because I enjoy it and if anyone's going to hear what I'm playing they should be secure in the knowledge that I sure as hell didn't right it to make them feel something; we write music for ourselves and if others don't like it then that's too bad.

And by the way: you can't teach someone to play with emotion; they have to learn it for themselves, if you think you're teaching it to them then you're sorely mistaken.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i actually agree with you. there are too many close minded classic rockers
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
I would like to coin a new phase "stylism." That is a belief that base on one's own personal preference for one style of playing over another, one thinks that his preferred style requires more skill. It takes a lot of skill to play shred well, it takes a lot of skill to create a moving piece of blues music with articulation. It comes down to the choices the player makes while playing. Some choices work well together others fail miserably. You don't judge a painting by whether it was created using oils or water color, you judge it by how well the artist used his chosen medium. I would think the same would apply to music.
Quote by rhettro
You don't judge a painting by whether it was created using oils or water color, you judge it by how well the artist used his chosen medium.

I like that; it's an awesome analogy.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rhetto
You don't judge a painting by whether it was created using oils or water color, you judge it by how well the artist used his chosen medium.

I agree.
Steve Vai's playing wouldn't sound too great over a blues song in the style of SRV, and SRV wouldn't sound too good over a heavy metal song.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Feeling is a bunch of crap made up by ****ty players to put down people who shred.
I think the better word would be creativity.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Quote by m30wc0w
Feeling is a bunch of crap made up by ****ty players to put down people who shred.
I think the better word would be creativity.

Feeling is a much misunderstood term that people tend to use to put down shred because they don't understand that emotion is not something that can be quantified. People like you who seem to think that everything stems from jealousy are the reason people dislike shredders.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Feeling is a much misunderstood term that people tend to use to put down shred because they don't understand that emotion is not something that can be quantified. People like you who seem to think that everything stems from jealousy are the reason people dislike shredders.

I never said that, I said that they say that to put them down. Personally I don't feel it's right to compare guitarists. I also never said that feeling could be quantified.
Also anyone can have feeling by putting just by making music; music, like painting is an art and also a way of self-expression.
Yngwie may a very fast guitarist but he emanates an energy from his music that wouldn't be the same as B.B Kings music because, as you said, you can't measure emotion.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Quote by Ze_Metal

More notes = More emotions per second
There are a few shredders out there who are capable of playing their music with emotion. However, the majority are out there trying to just be the fastest and their playing is kind of, I don't know...Hollow, I guess.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by XianXiuHong
More notes = More emotions per second

Awsome.

Anyways, my view on it: having speed gives you more options to express yourself.
Wes Montgomery like to work on his speed. And he is Jazz, not shred.

You can never have too much speed, as it can't limit you.

Oh noes, I can play faster, better not put in bends, slides, or any other type of phrasing!
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Yeah, I think it has more emotion but not just because it's fast. But if you can just improvise it, you pick a scale that usually has a mood(Well...every scale has a mood) and shredding will show more of the notes and different variations of that mood. IE: Major - bright, Minor - dark/sad.
Sometimes the simplest music is hardest to play, like the blues. Shredding gets quite boring after five minutes of it.
Listen to any David Gilmour solo/lead...I guarantee no one can play it lwith the "emotion" that he does. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure he could "shred" just as well as anyone.
Guild GAD-40C w/ PWM pickup
Martin 000-16GT
Washburn D10s-12
Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Schecter C-1+ (For SALE!)
Epiphone G-400 Ltd. w/ EMG's
Most people think shredding isnt emotionally because a lot of it isnt. Its very hard to have emotionally shreds for one reason. Most of the time emotion in music comes resolving a chord or progression. Usually when you resolve it you have to sustain the resolving note/chord, which would mean your either not shredding, or have just finished a shred. Its possible to accomplish an emotional shred, and has been done, but most bedroom eddies cant do it because its very hard. I know I certainly cant do it.
Quote by LESH89
Listen to any David Gilmour solo/lead...I guarantee no one can play it lwith the "emotion" that he does. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure he could "shred" just as well as anyone.

That man embodies how to play a good slow to mid temp guitar solo IMHO. For higher tempos there are better but get down under 100 bpm and Gilmour just blows me away every time I hear it...

I think what it all comes down to is speed VS. phrasing. If you play rapidly and still work in phrasing then you've really got something going for you. For example I would count myself among the "shred sucks" club yet I'm also a fan of Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Eric Johnson, etc. Why? Because they still play phrases; the advanced techniques are used as breaks between the bends, slides, dives etc: it's beautiful...
Quote by Ze_Metal

Henrix isnt great because he played the guitar amazingly its because he was playing stuff that was beyond his time , he started rock guitar
My Gear :
Epiphone les paul custom (alpine white) Peavey Valve king half stack
Ehx Big muff Pi Gibson sg special faded
Ehx Metal Muff Dunlop crybaby 535q
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by LESH89

I doubt very much that Gilmour can shred; he has said himself that he doesn't practice playing guitar much because he feels that more practice leads the fingers to fall into familiar patterns when playing and he thinks that not practicing keeps his playing fresh. He is still, however, one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by McBainZ84
i would love to see one of those guys play some Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker or even some friggin Metallica.... I guarantee they would fail miserably doin it.

If you're talking about players like Clapton or SRV, then you are one mistaken little man. Those players choose/chose to play their hears out with music they cared about, not trying to play as fast as they could like some players listed above in your quote. And Hendrix was mentioned. It is almost a guaranteed that Hendrix could play just as fast as those guys. He simply chose not to because he probably would not have been able to show, yes, his emotion as well.

Playing guitar is about showing the world who you are, not trying to play like someone else anyway so we should all just drop it and stop acting like whiny little bitches.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Page 1 of 2