so I was wondering why most metal guitarist use esp? I just suddenly start wondering what makes esp guitars more fitting for metal than...let's say gibson? I also have an assumption that Japanese made guitars are more fitting for metal(seeing how most metal guitarist use ibanez or esp)?

I don't play metal but I'm just interested in why poeple choose these brands for metal, as I'm planning to buy an esp les paul as wel(with jb and 59')
Gibson don't have teh br00talz EMGs, and they're just heavy as shit.

They're just better fitted for metal, lighter bodies, thinner necks, more suitable pickups, etc.

Personally, I prefer Jackson.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Technique and amps are more important than guitars on the sound and style

but Esps, Ibanezes and Jacksons have thinner necks, easier high fret access and high gain pups, making them more geared towards metal
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Technique and amps are more important than guitars on the sound and style

but Esps, Ibanezes and Jacksons have thinner necks, easier high fret access and high gain pups, making them more geared towards metal

i agree with evrything here but another reson is that they just look so badass
Tim Henson 08

Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
A Les Paul body Gibson can do metal with a set of EMGs easily. The way I see it, Gibson doesn't have metal player in main focus.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Brad52
i agree with evrything here but another reson is that they just look so badass

Ah yes, one can never forget aesthetic reasons
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by hminh87
A Les Paul body Gibson can do metal with a set of EMGs easily. The way I see it, Gibson doesn't have metal player in main focus.

Well they did with that Axecess Les Paul, but personally why spend money on a Gibson and then a set of EMGs when you can buy an Esp Eclipse or something better suited.

Gibson doesn't need to appeal to metal players really, since they practically wipe their asses with $100 bills.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

i hate the way ESP looks, infact i hate everything about them.

why does everyone play them? i guess because they have the most metal endorsee's out there, and people are more partial to play what their favourite artists do
Quote by Supernaut2k
i hate the way ESP looks, infact i hate everything about them.

why does everyone play them? i guess because they have the most metal endorsee's out there, and people are more partial to play what their favourite artists do

I prefer Jackson
ESP's are too pricy for what they're worth
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Jackson, just check out the specs and looks and tone, that should be enough to clarify why they rule the metal world in terms of performance. I have never tried ESPs and they are probably good or at least some of them but I think the reason why they have so many artists on their roster is the ability to make custom guitars for anyone at anytime. Alexi Laiho was a Jackson man until he needed another custom Jackson after the one he had got screwed or something and Jackson couldn't make another one quickly so he turned to ESP and they were more than happy to carry out this process and next thing you know .............the ESP Alexi series is out.

EDIT: Dammit I forgot my commas.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
dude i play tons of metal on my gibson sg and its amazing. you can play metal on anything (except for pussy fenders). ESP's just look cool and come stock with EMG's. Also they have thinner necks and slightly better action. Really fast guitars. They look f**kn badass too i'll admitt
Quote by zoomzoom
dude i play tons of metal on my gibson sg and its amazing. you can play metal on anything (except for pussy fenders). ESP's just look cool and come stock with EMG's. Also they have thinner necks and slightly better action. Really fast guitars. They look f**kn badass too i'll admitt

Excuse me, what the hell is wrong with you??? Pussy Fenders??? You must be crazy, ever heard of the three Maiden guitarists?? I wonder what type of guitar a Stratocaster is??
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
Excuse me, what the hell is wrong with you??? Pussy Fenders??? You must be crazy, ever heard of the three Maiden guitarists?? I wonder what type of guitar a Stratocaster is??

What's that I see on the headstock? An ESP logo?! Blasphemy!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by 20cdndollars
Oh no... a flame war is brewing.

indeed. I've never played an esp, and Fenders are not pussy guitars.
Quote by zoomzoom

Tell that to Iron Maiden.....

EDIT: didnt see that it was mentioned 4 or 5 times above me

I personally like LTDs because they are inexpensive, good quality, have the metal player in mind, and just overall feel good. I have never played an ESP, but i have heard they are so much better.
Last edited by Wylde_Man at Apr 6, 2008,
Price. Electronics. Playability. For about 800 bucks, I could get an ESP LTD EC-1000, that can handle just about everything from jazz and blues to teh br00talz. Not only will it play pretty friggin well (feel's subjective, but I love the feel of ESP), but it will sound pretty damn good too (again, subjective). A lot of artists use em cuz ESP's willing to give endorsements to a ton of people, and their artists seem to have access to the custom shop without much hassle.

Try the same with Gibson or Fender (not bashing either company), but put it this way; first, try getting an ENDORSEMENT with either company (Fender seems to be a bit more willing to give endorsements), but of course, that won't happen unless you've sold like 500,000 records, and are on every single hit radio station in the country, AND you're a top seller on iTunes. THEN they may just be willing to throw a Les Paul or two your way, but not much else. I read an interview on this site (forget the artist and band...I wanna say Puddle of Mud, but I'm not sure), where the guitarist said he's played NOTHING but Les Pauls for two decades, and it's only now they've decided to give him an endorsement.

I'm not sure about you guys, but if I had the option of: A) Getting a deal with a company that makes great guitars for an affordable price, who are willing to build some custom stuff for me, or B) Play nothing but a single guitar for 20 years, playing a couple thousand per guitar, only to be offered a deal after I've sold a crapload of records, I'd take A hands down.

Of course, let it be known I'm not bashing any company, seeing as I love strats, teles and LP Customs (really not any other Les Paul, just the customs ), but due to price, sound, playability, and a pretty willing company, I'd go ESP almost every time.

And yes, ESP's can do A LOT more than metal. I've seen a few jazz and fusion players using ESP Eclipses and the X-Tone series.
Quote by breakstuff

Maiden also has hot-rodded strats or HSS configuration strats (well, Dave has HSS strats)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I have an Esp Laiho V, I also have a 1989 Jackson custom shop Strat. When I bought both guitars I knew I would want a guitar with tremolo. Gibson has no tremolo on most of their guitars. Another reason is because of the sound. Jackson and ESP are always sounding clear but strong through a high gain amplifier. When I played Gibson guitars through my 5150 it was not as clear and tight sounding. the low end was a little dead sounding. Weight has never been an issue for me, my Jackson is solid maple body. But I think the main reason ESP has become so much more popular than Jackson among metal musicians is the quality is much higher than any metal guitar on the market. I had played 3 different American RR1 flying V's but they were all very different in tone and neck shape and over all feel. I want not happy with any of them for one reason or another. Either the neck was to big or the neck was good but it sounded terrible. When I played ESP guitars I was impressed by them so I chose to buy one instead of another Jackson.

My setup
ESP/Jackson
5150/Marshall cab
rocktron hush
Last edited by ErikSVERIGE88 at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by zoomzoom

Sorry, I know like...12 people have beat me to it, but you obviously haven't heard of Iron Maiden. Fender Stratocaster FTW, noob.

Also, Jim Root of Slipknot? Not only is it a Fender, but it's a Telecaster *GASP*

And for the record, AC/DC doesn't count as metal. So go play your A chord on your SG for a few more years, then come back when you know what you're talking about...
I own two 1000 series LTDs and a Gibson Explorer Pro. From my experience of just trying lots of different brands in guitar stores, ESPs are generally very solid, well made, extremely playable guitars. I prefer ESP's finishes to any I've tried. In my opinion they just feel like quality instruments all around.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
I own two 1000 series LTDs and a Gibson Explorer Pro. From my experience of just trying lots of different brands in guitar stores, ESPs are generally very solid, well made, extremely playable guitars. I prefer ESP's finishes to any I've tried. In my opinion they just feel like quality instruments all around.

I agree you can feel the money
Quote by Dizeaz2112
And for the record, AC/DC doesn't count as metal. So go play your A chord on your SG for a few more years, then come back when you know what you're talking about...

Yeah, but Black Sabbath does, and last time I checked, Tony Iommi uses a Gibson SG.
Quote by imgooley
Yeah, but Black Sabbath does, and last time I checked, Tony Iommi uses a Gibson SG.

I didn't say Black Sabbath wasn't metal...
And I also don't see where I bashed the SG, so...yeah. My point still stands.
Quote by zoomzoom

PUSSY FENDERS?!?!?!
**** OFF!
Sure they can't do metal 'perfectly', but my Tele, can do it quite well, better than several more 'Metal' guitars ive played.

So Asshat
I think it's mainly to due with image; most people would associate Gibson with say, blues or rock, as opposed to heavy metal and such. When people hear ESP, I bet they imagine players like James Hetfield, Alexi Laiho and all sorts of metal players, hence ESP must for metal!

On the other hand, the spec sheet is also convincing too. ESP guitars tend to have thinner & wider necks, good high fret access (even the Eclipse has half decent fret access), high output pickups (EMGs / SDs) and a lighter body for players so they don't get knackered carrying a heavy guitar. Also, most ESP models come with the option of a double locking trem which some metal players require.

I must say, Epiphone are trying to breach into the metal zone with their new guitar line, the Prophecy series. Twists on their SG and Les Paul models, they now come with EMGs / Gibson Burstbuckers, 24 fret high fret access necks and compensated nuts (I think). It's kinda like LTD guitars but cheaper for Europe!
I chose my guitar after researching and playing dozens of guitars. I played Les Paul's, SG's, various Schecters, BC Rich (didn't like any of them except for one V, it was sweet), Ibanez ect... I played alot of different styles of guitar.

I ended up choosing a ESP (ltd) viper 500. It's considerably cheaper than the Gibson's I played (I had the money to buy one.) The SG standard I played honestly felt like plastic to me compared to the ESP. My viper has a smooth, thin, neck. Making it easy and fun to play. Being a metal player myself I haven't come across a better guitar for the genre then ESP.

I swore by Ibanez for years. I also own an RG (EMG's installed), but it can't touch my baby.
@ asshole calling fenders pussy guitars,
John 5 plays a tele. iron madein and a few others have been mentioned as well for playing fender.
now, take a long walk of a short peir noobcakes.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
A lot of it is in the advertising.

Brands like Ibanez and ESP would be stupid to try and take on Fender and Gibson in the more classic rock and blues market. Even if they geared all of their advertising towards it, they would just never manage to better those two brands. The occasional person like Ron Wood or Richie Sambora aside, ESP could just never hope to hack that market. They'd make some profit, sure, but not as much as if they were able to dominate a market by themselves.

On the other hand, Gibson and Fender are both weak in the metal market. Brands like ESP can gear all their advertising towards metal, and comfortably beat out Gibson and Fender - who will always be the two targets to beat - and make much more money. ESP and Ibanez easily sit on top of the metal market (arguably sitting in for Gibson and Fender, respectively), and by dominating that one market with a strong advertising presence, they ensure huge profits.

From a player's point of view, there's no real reason why you couldn't use ESP for classic blues, or Gibson/Fender for heavy metal. But it's just not the 'done' thing, it's not how the brands are seen, so you wouldn't really be likely to do it.
I don't understand why so many people call the sound of Fenders thin. I've seen Iron Maiden and John five blow everyone away on Strats and Teles.

You could achieve almost any tone if you know what you're doing with your amp.
Quote by zoomzoom

you can play metal on anything except for pussy fenders

as if fenders are fine for metal.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Paul Carbonella
I don't understand why so many people call the sound of Fenders thin. I've seen Iron Maiden and John five blow everyone away on Strats and Teles.

You could achieve almost any tone if you know what you're doing with your amp.

The thing is, Maiden uses modded Strats with humbuckers almost all the time, maybe some singel-coil somewhere sometimes. It's a big difference in sound between a Strat with humbucker and one with Singel-coils.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I like the ESP EC's in vintage black and in white. I like the horizons a lot but the cool finishes are all imports. I like the M series, but theyre all too expensive and kinda boring.

IBANEZ FTW!!!!11
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
personally i think most people pick esp instead of jackson because they advertise their guitar way more heavily and have like a million signature guitars, unlike jackson.
Quote by breakstuff
Jackson, just check out the specs and looks and tone, that should be enough to clarify why they rule the metal world in terms of performance. I have never tried ESPs and they are probably good or at least some of them but I think the reason why they have so many artists on their roster is the ability to make custom guitars for anyone at anytime. Alexi Laiho was a Jackson man until he needed another custom Jackson after the one he had got screwed or something and Jackson couldn't make another one quickly so he turned to ESP and they were more than happy to carry out this process and next thing you know .............the ESP Alexi series is out.

EDIT: Dammit I forgot my commas.

If jackson can't cater to their endorsees then why should I expect great customer service as just a no named individual who buys their guitars?
Tsen

Great question. I often wondered that too. Heres to some metal players who play stratocasters who innovate in metal on strats. Eddie Van Halen "Frankenstrat", Dave Murray Strat, Jason Becker played stratocasters, VIvian Campell Dio -Charvel 'Super Strat' 85 Tour, Jake E Lee Charvel 'Super Strat'.

I think that Strat sometimes gets overlooked because since the first Stratocaster had 3 single coils, most players want that double humbucker bite and hi fi sound for more modern high gain.

EVH put a mighty mite double humbucker in the bridge position. Thus changing the Stratocaster forever. As he said to make it like a Les Paul and a Strat. Over the years Charvel has built HH, and HSS guitars to allow new players to have a hotter bridge position bucker.
Great question, indeed.

Better question: why bump a thread 8 years dead?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!