im just trying to decide on which guitar to buy as a beginner, im stuck between an Epiphone G310 and a Les Paul special II. i went and had a fiddle around the shop with both guitars and since im a beginnner i dont really know whats good or not. im interested in the SG because i like the look, i know alot of people will say spend a few more and get a G400 but i cant this is my budget.

so what do you guys think bout the G310 or the Les Paul S2 as a beginner guitar? ill probably upgrade again in a year or so when i know how to play better.

also there are alot of Ibanez available at the shop but i didnt look at those, do they have any good beginner models better to the two above?

thanx
A very popular choice for an Ibanez guitar is the RG321MH. It got good reviews everywhere. I started out with it and I can it's worth every penny even though the music shop did rip me off with that deal (yeah...).
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

between the two u mentioned def the g-310 my brother has a special II and it is not a very quality guitar compared to even a sg special
Get the highest priced guitar you can afford. I learned quickly that you get what you pay for on guitars. i would just keep saving and get a Epiphone LP Standard personally, the better the guitar the faster your playing will improve (for me it did anyways)
Ibanez RG321MH, great beginner guitar, I started out with it and man did I have a hard time giving up this guitar so I can save money up to purchase my Jackson RR3.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
thanx guys i think the RG321MH is out of my price range, im looking for something under $200 cheers
Play a G310 and a G400 one after the other if you can't tell how bad the G310 then buy it. Otherwise you need to look used or save more money. The really low end epiphones aren't worth the price. Maybe try a pacifica people say you get more quality for you money.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
G-310: Definitely not.
Special 2: even worse.
Go for an LP studio, or g-400 vintage instead.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
G-310: Definitely not.
Special 2: even worse.
Go for an LP studio, or g-400 vintage instead.
LP Studios are worse than the 310's.

Really though, save up more money and get the G-400.

You may think you can't afford it now, but think of it this way; buy better quality now, and it will last you much longer, and you won't have to upgrade again for a long time (if at all - I know some people who have used G-400's for live gigging). Alternatively, rush into buying the cheaper, lower quality guitar now, and then you'll be having to upgrade (no 'if' about it) much sooner.

In the long run, spending more now actually saves you money overall.

And after all, the G-400 isn't that much more than a G-310. We're talking well under an extra hundred here, and the quality on the G-400 really is much higher. In the guitar world, it's a no-contest.
^I've played studio's, they are by no means bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.