Now i've learned to use the circle of fifths when it comes to transposing music

now im working on cat stevens father and son, and i would like to make a solo in harmony, 2 acoustic guitars playing the same thing but not on the same octave or simply an octave higher

i was wondering if it is possible using the circle of fifths or any other technique to transpose the solo ( note for note) so both guitar sound different yet very close ( im not surte wheter somebody understands the effect im looking for)

i do not know if the pitch will be changed too much :S

any help is appreciated thank you
Last edited by ferguson911 at Apr 6, 2008,
what you can do is take the original notes and take them either up or down a Major 3rd
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
um perfec of fifths would be the equivilent of powerchords (and parallel 5ths are also a no-no in some forms of voiceleading). fourths, thirds or sixths would sound great. not that fifths sound bad, pretentious dicks will just...be pretentious dicks about it.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
um perfec of fifths would be the equivilent of powerchords (and parallel 5ths are also a no-no in some forms of voiceleading). fourths, thirds or sixths would sound great. not that fifths sound bad, pretentious dicks will just...be pretentious dicks about it.

and is there some sort of a drawing that shows the fourth thirds and all of ever note, like A B C D E F G to simplify this

so my idea is really possible am i right?

would it be a good effect or should i jsut lay down one solo
Well you would want to move them up or down a 3rd, whether it is a major or minor third depends on the note and what key you are in. (So if you are in the key of C and one guitar plays an E note, you would move a minor third up to G for the harmony in 3rds). Generally people harmonize with 3rds, 6ths (which is pretty much the same as going down a 3rd, going up a 6th), 5ths (you can harmonize with straight 5ths, although classical 'rules' would say to avoid this, or octaves (same thing with classical 'rules'). You could also use 2nds, 4ths, or 7th intervals but they sound more dissonant. Of course you could go out of the key too.

Basically, if you want to use the circle of fifths knowledge to write a harmony you would probably use 5ths to harmonize. So whatever note is being played, just play the 5th of that note. Try it out, see how it sounds!
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Well, using transposing for harmony might sound a bit weird, because then the harmony interval doesn't follow the scale(s) the solo's in. What you might wanna try is harmonizing the solo in a diatonic way, so that the harmony note follows the scale too, just from a different degree.

An example of this could be a diatonic 3rd, where the scale determines whether the harmony note is a major or a minor 3rd: If we're in the key of C major (C,D,E,F,G,A,B), C's diatonic 3rd would be E, a major third. Then again, a D's 3rd would be F, which is a minor one. This system can be used for any interval, any octave. This makes your harmony stay in the same key and doesn't start to mess around with your soloing (unless, of course, that's the desired effect).
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by ferguson911
Now i've learned to use the circle of fifths when it comes to transposing music

now im working on cat stevens father and son, and i would like to make a solo in harmony, 2 acoustic guitars playing the same thing but not on the same octave or simply an octave higher

i was wondering if it is possible using the circle of fifths or any other technique to transpose the solo ( note for note) so both guitar sound different yet very close ( im not surte wheter somebody understands the effect im looking for)

i do not know if the pitch will be changed too much :S

any help is appreciated thank you

You dont want to transpose. you want to harmonize. The circle of 5ths is not relevant for this situation.

A common way to harmonize is by using 3rds. Take all of the original notes and play them up a 3rd.... the notes should be within the same scale. not a new key.
shred is gaudy music