My friend wants me to help him choose a new guitar, he has a $80 douglas strat copy off rondo, but hes been using his brothers Epiphone G400 SG. Hes always asking me what to get and I tell him to just go try things out, but I realized that hes not going to know whats nice and what isn't.

All I've heard him play is Green Day, he plays that A LOT. Also just the modern pop punk/rock bands, Fall Out Boy, Foo Fighters, that kind of stuff.

He said his budget is $650 and I suggested him to get a used guitar off of eBay.

oh edit; He has a Roland Cube 60, but uses my Peavey Valveking for a band situation.

--
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Green Day? He'd probably be suited to some kind of Gibson or Epiphone. In that price range I'd suggest an Epiphone - the Gibsons at that range are worthless.
if he plays fall out boy and green day heres an idea,
1 geton his computer and have him sit down and go to a guitar center website
2 find a blunt object that can knock someone out without causing serious brain damage
3 proceed to knock friend out
4 take his money and buy yourself somehing nice
MIM HSS Strat would do the trick, but looking into the PRS SE custom its a very nice guitar
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Quote by F8iscruel
if he plays fall out boy and green day heres an idea,
1 geton his computer and have him sit down and go to a guitar center website
2 find a blunt object that can knock someone out without causing serious brain damage
3 proceed to knock friend out
4 take his money and buy yourself somehing nice

or respect his choice of music and get him a nice epiphone
never say fall out boy. and foo fighters in the same setence.

but you're right. maybe he won't know what's good quality or not, so go with him to guitar center or something. let him try stuff, and let him decide what fits his style, then you can direct him towards others like it.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
In my opinion he doesn't need a new guitar to play that crap.
But, seeing as how you need help .

Maybe something like a Telecaster or Les Paul? I think the gay from Greenday uses an LP.
Derp.
seriously for pop/glam/punk stuff like that maybe an epi dot or and epi LP
I was thinking a 72 Tele Deluxe, the new Epi Prophecy SG with Dirty Fingers, or HSS Deluxe Strat.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Epi les paul custom would be great for him or a good mex telecaster.
Looking for a new sig!
What about an Epiphone Les Paul Custom??

Or an Agile 3100?

Why would he want to pay 650$ if he plays nothing but Green Day and Fall Out Boy?!
If he uses your amp in a band situation, he should get a descent amp that's loud enough, and buy a guitar with whatever he has left. I reccomend an Epi Les Paul.
Quote by Rocker_94
Why would he want to pay 650$ if he plays nothing but Green Day and Fall Out Boy?!
If he uses your amp in a band situation, he should get a descent amp that's loud enough, and buy a guitar with whatever he has left. I reccomend an Epi Les Paul.

My last post, look at it man..

Why doesn't he just get a G-400 for himself and use the rest of the money to buy a entry level tube amp?
Quote by tr3nt

There's no such thing as a "Gibson Epiphone" guitar. Tell him to order on Musician's Friend, it's a hell of a lot safer than eBay.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
An Epiphone Les Paul Custom will be far too dark-toned and thick sounding for what he wants.

For Epis, he will be best off with either a Standard Plain or Plus top (only difference is one has plain maple, the other has flame maple; they sound the same) if he ever intends to play much harder rock, though I think the best choice period would be a G-400 SG, and using the left over money to get, in order of importance:
1) A nicer amp of his own.
2) New pickups (and also re-do the wiring and pots while you're at it).
3) New nut (bone would probably be best).
4) Some nice cables, maybe a nice pedal, etc.

He could also of course look at things such as an HSS Stratocaster (Bille Joe of Green Day used an HSS strat copy on the earlier Green Day albums, if your friend likes that tone), a Les Paul Junior copy (though I wouldn't sugges the buys the hilariously bad Epiphone version), or possibly another SG copy from a brand like ESP.