So for someone who hasn't ever shredded before but is starting to learn, how long would it take to learn the solo for Open Your Eyes by Alter Bridge?

Btw about 1-2 hours of practice a night probably. I normally learn fairly quickly to. Thanks for any help.
really it just depends on the person, how good you are at remembering things and how hard you focus when you practice, you can't really say how long it's going to take to learn something
I can remember things well and I focus fairly well. Would a month be pushing it?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound impatient I just want to set a goal.
Quote by walter_sparrow
So for someone who hasn't ever shredded before but is starting to learn, how long would it take to learn the solo for Open Your Eyes by Alter Bridge?

Btw about 1-2 hours of practice a night probably. I normally learn fairly quickly to. Thanks for any help.

It will take as long as it takes you.

I wouldnt worry about how long. If you want to learn it. learn it. If you have never played a solo before it may be too hard for you, in which case you will want to learn some easier solos and work your way up. regardless though, have fun. it doesnt matter how long it takes..... just enjoy the experience.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by bangoodcharlote
How is your alternate picking?

As far as speed goes i'm not very good. As far as accuracy goes i'm not bad. I'd be using this to get better at alternate picking.
You'll need to be both fast and accurate. That is not an easy solo by any measure.

I don't remember the solo that well, but could you get away with playing it legato or with a lot of legato (tapping, pulls, hammers)?
Quote by GuitarMunky
It will take as long as it takes you.

I wouldnt worry about how long. If you want to learn it. learn it. If you have never played a solo before it may be too hard for you, in which case you will want to learn some easier solos and work your way up. regardless though, have fun. it doesnt matter how long it takes..... just enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the advice. I've played solos before just not shred solos. I play a lot of blues solos and stuff like that. I'm just starting with speed. The hardest solo I know is Alice in Chains' Man in the Box or RHCP's I Could've Lied.

EDIT: Also could you, or anyone else, recommend some easier solos/exercises that would help me build speed?
Last edited by walter_sparrow at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You'll need to be both fast and accurate. That is not an easy solo by any measure.

I don't remember the solo that well, but could you get away with playing it legato or with a lot of legato (tapping, pulls, hammers)?

Some parts might be easier to do with alternate picking but others could probably work with legato. But really I need to work on everything. I'm just now starting to play with speed.
Quote by walter_sparrow
Thanks for the advice. I've played solos before just not shred solos. I play a lot of blues solos and stuff like that. I'm just starting with speed. The hardest solo I know is Alice in Chains' Man in the Box or RHCP's I Could've Lied.

cool, your probably ready to try this one then. Id give it a shot and see what you can do. Even if you dont get it perfect, your certain to learn something from the experience. And chances are if you really like the solo..... youll end up getting it down.

EDIT:

just listened to that. It is very fast. I probably wouldn't recommend it. You can always try and see, but I have a feeling this is going to be a big jump from what you've learned so far.

It can't hurt to try, but I think your better off trying something else. I wouldnt cut any corners just to play it...... just find something else thats challenging, yet realistic.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 6, 2008,
its not extremely hard but what i suggest is working on picking exercises first instead of trying to learn the solo. later after your picking is better, it wont take any time to learn how to play it, just memorize it
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
No offense but wouldn't that be like me asking you how long it will take me to learn how to juggle? It could take one person less than an hour and another person a month.
that solo's pretty intense, i would recommend practicing something like Overture 1928 by Dream theater to get some alternate picking, helps me just to warm up with that song. Or some Children of Bodom could definitely get your picking hand in shape for something like that.

Good luck

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

oh and on how long for me.....probably about half an hour if i just sat down and tried it, i don't want to tune my guitar that wierd though........

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance