I went to guitar center yesterday and got one of their preferred players cards. Yeah, you can imagine what happened next!

Anyways, here's my new guitar. I owned the Epiphone Les Paul and Roland Micro Cube for 6 months now. It's what I've been learning to play on. So yeah.

My question is: how do I get a good Hendrix tone out of this setup? I know it's possible, I'm just unsure of how I would go about doing it.

Those are the voicings and effects for the Super Champ XD. Using those effects, plus a specific pickup on the strat, plus possibly some stuff from my effects pedals (Boss RC-20 Loop Station, Zoom G2 multi effects pedal, and Crybaby Wah GCB-95), how could I get the Hendrix tone I crave?!
British setting 8 probably - Hendrix used Marshall stacks and a strat, so that should get you close! Have a play about with it, and maybe try the other settings of the British mode just depending on the song!

You'll have to select the pickup depending on the song, but most of the tone comes from the amp!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
That looks like a sweet amp.
I think i'll get one for practice sometime. Is it digital though?

Try voicing 8 first, if it's too high of gain, try 7, if it's too little, try 9.
not sure about effects. Maybe a little bit of chorus or trem for some of his solos.
Just try everything.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wow, I hope you remember to pay that off.

Cool buy, I guess. I would have traded in the cube...do you need two practice amps?

But that is a beautiful strat.
MIM strats rock, A new set of pickups make a superb instrument.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
That looks like a sweet amp.
I think i'll get one for practice sometime. Is it digital though?

Try voicing 8 first, if it's too high of gain, try 7, if it's too little, try 9.
not sure about effects. Maybe a little bit of chorus or trem for some of his solos.
Just try everything.

They call it a hybrid amp, so it's basically tube AND digital solid state. But to me, it sounds like an all tube amp with the extra benefits of digital modeling. If the effects and voicings were removed, you'd never know it was a hybrid!
Quote by stephen_rettie
i use those exact same hendrix picks lol
they are actually really nice

Yeah, the guys behind the counter showed them to me and I thought they were the neatest little gimmick so I got a box of them. Tell me, do the pictures rub off? And if they do, how long until they do?
So, is it technically all tube or not? It says on the MF page that it's run by 2 power tubes and a preamp tube. Or is the preamp section mostly solidstate?
But still, that looks like a great amp. Do you think you could be bothered to do a quick demo with clips?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
So, is it technically all tube or not? It says on the MF page that it's run by 2 power tubes and a preamp tube. Or is the preamp section mostly solidstate?
But still, that looks like a great amp. Do you think you could be bothered to do a quick demo with clips?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-aGMTrL0pGg

Theres a really good demo by someone else right there. I could still give you a demo if you wanted, but it's not like it'll tell you much more. And I've only been playing for a little over 6 months so I'm not really that good. You'll get a demo of power chords and scales or something dumb, lol.
I wish Fender would make a proper reissue of the Super Champ. I'd buy one faster than you can say hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.
Quote by mr_hankey
I wish Fender would make a proper reissue of the Super Champ. I'd buy one faster than you can say hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

Looks like you've got plenty of time to buy one then - wtf is that word?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Sample246
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-aGMTrL0pGg

Theres a really good demo by someone else right there. I could still give you a demo if you wanted, but it's not like it'll tell you much more. And I've only been playing for a little over 6 months so I'm not really that good. You'll get a demo of power chords and scales or something dumb, lol.

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So anyone else have any advice on how to kick this amp into Hendrix mode?

I appreciate the "try the British overdrive voicing" suggestions, but really, I could have done that myself. I'm interested in any suggested combinations of voicings, effects, and gain levels, and if there are any effects that arent in the amp, I might have them in my G2 multieffects pedal, so dont hesitate to suggest a wildcard effect either. I'm REALLY bad at figuring out effects in songs when I listen to them. The only thing I can do is say "that sounds right" or "thats not right" when I try and emulate them.
Try this.

Boost the bass and mids and cut the treble. Look at the ultimate settings thread.
Try voicing 8 again, maybe with a 7 or 8 gain level. For effects, maybe some kind of rotary or something like that? Try and nail his regular tone instead of getting his tones with effects on them.
Report back with your findings.
Try neck or mid pickup too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Looks like you've got plenty of time to buy one then - wtf is that word?

I don't know but I get to say honorificabilitudinitatibus in our play.

no but I agree a proper reissue would be great. The new ones are good though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I use Setting Number 8, roll the gain down to about 5-7. Then i add a *touch* of Reverb, normally the first setting at about 3-4.

Bass is around 3-4 and treble around 6-7.

It gives me quite a nice Hendrix sound, for like Purple Haze/Foxy Lady/Voodoo Chile you know?

So yeah, hope that helped. Of course, its all about fiddling around though.

db
Like Frank Zappa said playing a crappy little amp called the super champ. I have both and the xd is heads above the old super champ in all departments. I get the Hendrix sound with the blackface setting and an overdrive with a wah. Hope you like it.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by mr_hankey

It's a Shakespeaere play. It's the 6th longest word in the world and the longest in any Shakespeare play
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
It's a Shakespeaere play. It's the 6th longest word in the world and the longest in any Shakespeare play

Nice. I'm reading Romeo and Juliet right now.
What play is it exactly?

And, once I get the cash, I think I may just get this super champ for practice and carting around.
My peavey classic 50 (although it's a great amp), is exceedingly heavy and doesn't fit in my car trunk (my car has a really tiny trunk, but it's a big car).
It'd be nice to have something little like the super champ xd to bring to friends houses and jam. Plus, I loved the different voices which that guy in the video used. I liked the bassman ones the best. I wish he would have showed a few of the effects, but that's alright.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator