Hello my fellow Pit goers. Every now and then a thread will pop up with someone asking opinions on movies, or just seeing if anyone has seen a certain film and simply wants to chat about it. Well, I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to the discussion of anything and everything film related. Just recently seen a movie and feel the need to write a short review about it? Go for it. Want to chat it up with fellow movie buffs about your favorite films and actors? Feel free to do so. Friendly arguments are totally fine, but please, lets try to keep the elitism and flaming to a minimum. I know how heated people can get about films. Anyway, we'll see how this goes. It will either be a huge success or a massive flop. Kinda like Snakes on a Plane.

*note* this thread is not here to take away from all the movie-related games and specialty threads such as the Epic Movie Images thread. This is merely here for the majority of basic movie discussion.

Alright, just to get a little discussion started, I finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood today. To those who saw it, what did you think of it? I actually thought it was a very good movie. I can't say if it should have overthrown No Country for Old Men as Best Picture, but it was a worthy nomination for sure. Daniel Day-Lewis definitely deserved to get Best Actor for his role as Daniel Plainview. He simply did a phenomenal job. It was also really weird seeing Paul Dano all clean cut. I still only remember him as Dwayne in Little Miss Sunshine.

Oh, and don't ask what makes this thread "official." I just thought it sounded cool...
No Country for Old Men has got to be one of the best movies in the last 5 years. I don't see how anything could rival it at this point.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
No Country for Old Men has got to be one of the best movies in the last 5 years. I don't see how anything could rival it at this point.

Just curious, but what did you like so much about it? Out of all the nominations I thought it was the most deserving, but I still didn't think it was absolutely spectacular or anything.
Quote by Colgate Total
Anton probably, since it's so god damned hard to see a great villain nowadays.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Hopefully that will all change when we see Ledger as The Joker.
Did anybody see Dan in real life? i cant stand watching a movie more than once even for 300, but this movie ive seen 4 times in 2 weeks. any thoughts on this movie?
Not seen it, but if it was anywhere *near* as good as Old Country then it's well worth seeing.

Seriously Old country was really, really good. The last 10 minutes were so intense, and the very last line was such a good ending, such a poignant summation .
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah, that's definitely true. Hopefully that will all change when we see Ledger as The Joker.

They finished the movie before he died?

I didn't know that.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I missed Diving Bell and Butterfly today
but I'm Not There was probably my favorite 07 movie
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by happytimeharry
Just curious, but what did you like so much about it? Out of all the nominations I thought it was the most deserving, but I still didn't think it was absolutely spectacular or anything.

The writing

Everything the sherrif was just brilliant I thought (and, as I just said, his ending lines and the deliverance had me speechless). He was definitely the best part of the film.

As everyone says, the sparseness of it added so much, everything about it was bleak but without being overdone, it was just trying to be true.

Little things as well, like the way the bad guy was killing everyone with the same thing that we put down cattle with, coen brothers just have little things like that down. They tell you so much without ever saying anything.

*fanboy rant*
Quote by mynamesedson
Did anybody see Dan in real life? i cant stand watching a movie more than once even for 300, but this movie ive seen 4 times in 2 weeks. any thoughts on this movie?

Have not seen it yet, but I think I'll check it out here pretty soon just because you seem to be picky.

Quote by meh!
Not seen it, but if it was anywhere *near* as good as Old Country then it's well worth seeing.

Yeah, it's definitely worth seeing. I will say this though. It can be a little slow in parts, but then again, so was No Country.

Quote by Colgate Total
They finished the movie before he died?

I didn't know that.

Yeah they did, thank goodness. I would have hated for them to recast it...
Last edited by happytimeharry at Apr 6, 2008,
iight ppl I want dis thread 2 b a big one so me n mah homie Harry hurr bettah be gettin posts.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by filthandfury
I've just finished watching Ocean's 13.

Just puttin' it out there.

Why do people insist on making crappy sequels to remakes? I mean really, what will it do besides kill the reputation of the original.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total
Why do people insist on making crappy sequels to remakes? I mean really, what will it do besides kill the reputation of the original.

Well, not just sequels to remakes, but sequels in general! On rare occasions are sequels done well. Most times though they just crap on whatever credibility the first one had. Also, my biggest pet peeve about sequels is recasting roles. If you aren't going to use the same actors for the same roles, then don't do the movie. It just wasn't meant to be. That's why I just know the next Punisher movie is going to blow. Say what you will about the first one, but I thought Thomas Jane did an awesome job playing the part. It just won't be the same...
Quote by happytimeharry
Well, not just sequels to remakes, but sequels in general! On rare occasions are sequels done well. Most times though they just crap on whatever credibility the first one had. Also, my biggest pet peeve about sequels is recasting roles. If you aren't going to use the same actors for the same roles, then don't do the movie. It just wasn't meant to be. That's why I just know the next Punisher movie is going to blow. Say what you will about the first one, but I thought Thomas Jane did an awesome job playing the part. It just won't be the same...

I hate that too, so much. Another thing that gets me is when they do sequels, and characters who were in the first are missing. Then to top it off, there's no explanation to where these characters went, or a crappy one. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Bond)
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I'm trying to think of a good sequel :/
Quote by Colgate Total
I hate that too, so much. Another thing that gets me is when they do sequels, and characters who were in the first are missing. Then to top it off, there's no explanation to where these characters went, or a crappy one. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Bond)

Pfft, they're not sequels

That doesn't count, they're BOND FILMS.
I just watched Sweeney Todd this weekend, twice in two days, and I still want to watch it again (had to return it though... damn)
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have got to be one of the best Director/Actor duos around.
Quote by happytimeharry
Clerks II?

All of those movies are inter-related somehow. Although it was the first direct sequel, it wasn't the first.

Still a great point though, I loved Clerks II.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I didn't thknk clerks was funny
Quote by mynamesedson

i saw it, its a good "go with your mom while on family vaca" movie, it was pretty good actually
Fight Club is my favorite movie...That with Pulp Fiction...and Shawshank of course
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by dark&broken
I just watched Sweeney Todd this weekend, twice in two days, and I still want to watch it again (had to return it though... damn)
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have got to be one of the best Director/Actor duos around.

Gah, I've been meaning to watch that for the longest time. At first I was turned off by the whole "musical" aspect of it, but then I quickly decided that nothing bad can come from Burton and Depp.

Quote by Mockstairwell
Fight Club is my favorite movie...That with Pulp Fiction...and Shawshank of course

Ah, Shawshank is definitely my second favorite movie next to The Life Aquatic.
Rushmore ftw *looks at av*
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
Quote by Mockstairwell

All those are great movies, Pulp Fiction especially. Quentin Tarantino is an amazing writer. The scene when Jules and Vincent are in the apartment of Marsellus' business associate has some of the most unique dialogue ever to grace the silver screen.

With that in mind, what are everybody's favorite films? Some of mine include Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, A Clockwork Orange, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Big Lebowski, Short Cuts, Raging Bull, Nashville, Blade Runner, Midnight Cowboy, The Graduate, Bonnie and Clyde, American Splendor, Citizen Kane, Network, Sunset Boulevard, Manhattan, The Conversation (most underrated film ever?), Five Easy Pieces (second most underrated film ever?), 2001, and Dr. Strangelove, among many others.

Some of my favorite directors include Robert Altman (RIP), Stanley Kubrick (RIP), Sidney Lumet (83 and still going strong), Billy Wilder, Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Ridley Scott, Paul Thomas Anderson (Though I didn't care much for There Will Be Blood), the Coens, Wes Anderson, Orson Welles, and Woody Allen
well i don't really need an "Official Movie Discussion" thread. This is the Pit, if you got a thread to start, then start it. Don't fu<king post all the related topics in one thread, it's hard to read and it's hard to get relevant replies.

so FU<K THIS THREAD.
peanuts and beers
^ I'd rather be just reading this thread than sifting through all the others

Quote by mynamesedson

I thought it was pretty great, but I like that type of movie to start with

has anyone here ever seen Bullit?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I've been meaning to see it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth watching?
Quote by bah humbug
Rushmore ftw *looks at av*

Wes Anderson FTW!

I saw Bottle Rocket the other day, Kumar is hilarious

The Life Aquatic is the only one I haven't seen yet.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~