Ok, I'm going to get flamed, and i accept that. In fact, I embrace it because I want to do something that will make many people literally sick to their stomachs.

I have a particular model of amp. i like it. its not the best, but it works. In particular, i like the clean channel of this amp, but i can't get quite enough drive off of it to make it break-up like i want. Here's the kicker, *puts on helmet and dives beneath desk* its a line 6 spider III.

i like the clean channels, and i like the distorted channels, but there isnt anything in between those two. the reason i want to do this is that i will most likely be using this amp for quite a while before i can get a tube amp, but here is my main question taht i seriously hope at least one person will answer (please!!) what would be a a fairly cheap overdrive (tubescreamer-esque) pedal that i could use to push the clean channell that one little bit? would a tubescreamer be my best bet? or something else?

thanks, and if you want to flame, go ahead, at least i may get a cool sig out of the deal
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you really want a standalone overdrive pedal, get a fulltone ocd. Everyone will recommend saving the money and getting a new amp though.
You're probably expecting this, but SS amps usually don't give a good overdrive or crunch sound. As you've said, its either clean or heavy distortion! I'm sure there is an SS amp that gets a decent crunch somewhere, but i've never heard or played one!

You could try using some of the OD pedals that have a tube in them, but they are quite expensive.

Hate to say it, but look for a new amp! Even a little Valve Junior Epiphone would get the tone you like, and they are £100, which would be cheaper than one of the pedals I suggested!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
well i would definatly go with sumthin like that...I myself am a closet owner of a line 6 spider3 and am almost scared to type those very words....but yes i have been looking for an od pedal and i think a tube screamer is a great one to go with
Quote by mck_776

Hate to say it, but look for a new amp! Even a little Valve Junior Epiphone would get the tone you like, and they are £100, which would be cheaper than one of the pedals I suggested!

I KNO!! *sniffle* but im going to be in a dorm next year....i guess i can just get a low-wattage tube instead of buying a multi-fx and headphones and then use my mac for playing when people need quiet

is it easy to mic an amp? just in case i started playing with a band in live situations
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33

is it easy to mic an amp? just in case i started playing with a band in live situations

Very! Providing you have the right equipment, which isn't terrible expensive, as the venue will probably have most of the stuff except the mic etc, maybe even everything you need

If you're looking for a valve amp for gigs, get something around 30 watts, which has a master volume - you will be able to get it low enough for bedroom playing, although tone will suffer, but at least you will have a better tone live!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
Very! Providing you have the right equipment, which isn't terrible expensive, as the venue will probably have most of the stuff except the mic etc, maybe even everything you need

If you're looking for a valve amp for gigs, get something around 30 watts, which has a master volume - you will be able to get it low enough for bedroom playing, although tone will suffer, but at least you will have a better tone live!

well, see i most likely wont be doing live stuff, i just like playing guitar lol, so i want wat i can get to have the best tone in a bedroom situation.

which brands of low wattage tube amps would be best? i love the fender hot rod, but its lowest wattage is 40w, and it costs 650$, and i rly dont want to spend that much right before going to college. could i get a good tube amp for below or around $350?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Don't they have a Hot Rod Junior or something now (I thought I saw it somewhere)?
Sell the Line6 and just get an Epi VJ or something like that.
With 350 bucks you can have a field day with used amps.
Peavey Classic 30 comes to mind.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have a bad monkey OD and I use it on my solid state for dist. Its meant to push a tube amp into overdrive but it has a similar effect on SS. They're only life 50 bucks, check it out.
Bad Monkey.

I have three Carl Martin distortion/ODs, a modded SD1, a modded DS1, a Big Muff, an amp's distortion... and there are pedals there I simply canNOT replace. The Bad Money is one of them.

Gain at 0, adjust level to tastem on a clean channel or barely broken up.. It's a nice, thick, but very musical boost. I love this tone.