Hey I'm taking the AP music theory placement test on Tuesday and was wondering if you guys know where I can get an idea of what the test was like. I'm going to be skipping Music Theory I.

Also, can you tell me where the half steps fall in the modes? Like the formulas for the Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian modes.

Thanks in advance!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
The formulas for the diatonic modes are explained in the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Hey I'm taking the AP music theory placement test on Tuesday and was wondering if you guys know where I can get an idea of what the test was like. I'm going to be skipping Music Theory I.

Also, can you tell me where the half steps fall in the modes? Like the formulas for the Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian modes.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't know that, something tells me that you're not ready for an AP test.
Quote by bigtimber112
If you don't know that, something tells me that you're not ready for an AP test.

He's taking a placement test, not the AP test itself.

But wait, your school has placement tests for AP classes? Weak.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by bigtimber112
It's a placement test for next year, not the final for his AP Music class. AP exams are early next month.
^Ok, I misunderstood then. I was under the impression that you were taking THE AP test. I read over the "placement" part.
I'm sure you'll need to know your key signatures, like automatically know that 4 sharps is the key of E and 4 flats is Ab, etc.

You should be able too look at a written scale, and tell what the scale it is, including major/minor/harmonic minor and melodic minor, and possible the modes of those (don't remember)

Simple dictation, like listening to a simple passage given the key and time signatures, and a beginning note, and you must write out the rest of it after listening to it 3 times (I think it was 3 times)

Figured Bass, Triad and 7th chord inversions, all of them. Also know your 4 part writing rules, including cadences, parallel fifths/doubled parts rules.

Aural skills/ear training/interval recognition (See lesson in sig for reference, I wrote it while in my ap theory class and based it off of what we learned)

More basic stuff, I assume, like Locate middle C, d3, FF, Bb2 etc on a grand staff.

Theres more, but you get the idea I think.

And for the modes

Ionian: Major (no interval b or #)
Dorian: b3, b7
Phrygian: b2 b3 b6 b7
Lydian: #4
Mixolydian: b7
Aeolian: (Minor) b3 b6 b7
locrian: b2 b3 b5 b6 b7

EDIT: edited, lol
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at Apr 6, 2008,
Phrygian: b2 b3 b6

b7 as well.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Ionian: Major (nothing b or #)
He means that none of the intervals are sharp or flat. Obviously, anything except for the C Ionian mode will contain sharp or flat notes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
He means that none of the intervals are sharp or flat. Obviously, anything except for the C Ionian mode will contain sharp or flat notes.

C Major wont have any #'s or b's eiher
shred is gaudy music
Or the A minor mode.

Has anyone heard of Teoria.com? I can't tell if they're faulty or I'm wrong. Tell me who's right. I said an E# diminished chord is E# G Bb. Is that wrong?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Or the A minor mode.

Has anyone heard of Teoria.com? I can't tell if they're faulty or I'm wrong. Tell me who's right. I said an E# diminished chord is E# G Bb. Is that wrong?

Diminished chords are built by stacking minor thirds.
If we start with E#, the next note a minor third up from that is G#, followed by B.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Diminished chords are built by stacking minor thirds.
If we start with E#, the next note a minor third up from that is Ab, followed by Cb.

I'm confused now. My teacher said that a diminished chord is where you take the 1-3-5 formula and flat the third and fifth. So I thought if I was in E# to make a major chord I do E#-G#-B#. That would mean then that to make a diminished chord I make it E#-G-B.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I'm confused now. My teacher said that a diminished chord is where you take the 1-3-5 formula and flat the third and fifth. So I thought if I was in E# to make a major chord I do E#-G#-B#. That would mean then that to make a diminished chord I make it E#-G-B.

E# major is E# Gx(doublesharp) B#
flat the third and the 5th and you get E# G# B.
Quote by coffeeguy9
E# major is E# Gx(doublesharp) B#
flat the third and the 5th and you get E# G# B.

Ah yes, you're right. I wrote the notes the wrong way.

<edited>
I took the AP test last year and it was pretty hard. You do not have to know modes though. figured bass yes, not modes. They'll also give you a melody, play you the first note of it, and then you have to sing the rest of it into a tape recorder. super fun...
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
^What did you get on your theory exam? I got a 3 because right before we started reviewing for it, my band director goes and gets arrested and that was 2 years ago. I'm auditing it this year though in hopes of a 5, I'm completely prepared now though, I do think.