I am planning on making my Squier Strat into a Frankenstrat by replacing parts and stuff, repainting, etc. I know, I'm cheap, but I don't have a lot of money. At all. OK, I love the color, but I hate the old "crappy" look, like the broken pickguard, ugly pickup pockets, all that stuff. So I want to make a Frankenstrat that looks like it's a regular Stratocaster (new), but with black hardware in it, and a HSS setup (don't call me a noob. I am one :p). I am planning on doing the following:

- Spray paint all hardware (like strap locks, neck plate, screws, input jack plate, etc., but not electronics) black, except for the tuners, bridge, anything on the pickguard (buttons, pickups, etc.), and the pickguard itself. I'm going to buy a wired black HSS pickguard from Guitarfetish.com, and if needed make the cavity where my single-coil used to be bigger to fit the humbucker. As a bridge I'm going to use a black locking Floyd Rose, and I'm replacing the tuners with a Strat-style set of six black tuners. (1) First, does a Floyd Rose fit on a "Crafted in Indonesia" Squier Strat? (2) Also, would everything else (hardware that you actually see on the outside) be sprayable without screwing up the sound? If not, what? Also, I saw that the Floyd Rose I'm buying from Guitarfetish.com comes with a locking nut, and that EVH uses the same one (just chrome) on his Frankenstrat. Is it possible (or actually easy) to replace the nut that comes with a Strat with this locking nut (link to it at the bottom of this post)?

- Sand the body to get all the red paint off (the color I bought it in) and then use Scotch 3M blue painters' tape and cans of spray paint to spray paint it. Then after it's dried I'll apply a layer of gloss to it (or whatever it's called). (3) Should I use a specific type of spray paint or a specific brand?

- Also I would like to be able to do divebombs. I can easily dip the bar on my guitar right now, but I can't bring it up (so the pitch increases past it's normal pitch). (4) Is this always possible with a Floyd Rose, or do I have to cut a piece of wood (or do something else) to my guitar to enable me to do so?

Here are the parts I'm planning on buying.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blsusmgost14.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssblpra.html

The Strat I'm using is this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423
http://squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310600525#
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Apr 6, 2008,
- Also I would like to be able to do divebombs. I can easily dip the bar on my guitar right now, but I can't bring it up (so the pitch increases past it's normal pitch). (4) Is this always possible with a Floyd Rose, or do I have to cut a piece of wood (or do something else) to my guitar to enable me to do so?

Theres a trem somewhere that is set up with a double cam that lets you go down & up without digging out part of the body. I'm not sure who makes it, though.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Anyone else? I need help...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Except for the FR part, it sounds like you have a solid plan. For the refinishing part, check out the sticky, page 1, for links.

If you want to go inexpensive, use Krylon ($3/can) for the sanding sealer, colorcoat, and clearcoat. Or you can use the house brand acrylic lacquer from the bigbox DIY stores.

Good Luck!

If you losen the springs on the back you can make the bridge float. Then you can bend it backwards. Don't do it very high though, or you will break your strings when you bend back. I think it's supposed to be 1/8th of and inch or something. The only bad thing is, your guitar will go out of tune really bad if you tune to drop D or something...
I have too much gear to fit!
Quote by asfastasdark
Is it possible (or actually easy) to replace the nut that comes with a Strat with this locking nut (link to it at the bottom of this post)?l

well, first you need to make sure the floyd is set up to match your nut measurement on your neck (ed has a 1-5/8" nut on his frankie, and that is what fenders tend to have, but i suggest you do some proper research) and your neck would have to be preped to accommodate the floyd (i.e. locking nut)

by the way, this info i coming from first hand experience, because i built my own frankie replica, except mine is the 1st frankie w/ the white paint job and the single bucker, but the neck is all the same.

hope this helps.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Thanks guys, and Sabres61, do you have any idea how much it would cost to get the neck prepped, and would I have to do that if my neck is the right size? Because my nut (says in the user's guide) is 1.61", and 1-5/8"=1.625". would 0.015" matter in nut measurement?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
A FR will not fit in your Squier, you have to rout the bridge area of the body to make it fit. It'd be alot of work and you have to be good with a router (can't say I am )
Otherwise, good plan. Im working on the same guitar also.
OK, so I'm thinking about buying a Floyd Rose and route the bridge area, but if that's not possible I want a different black tremolo with a bar that fits a Squier. Any cheap suggestions (even better if it's from Guitarfetish.com)?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
you could get a FR and just drill holes for the posts to mount it on the guitar. (you wouldnt be able to pull up though)
Quote by asfastasdark
OK, so I'm thinking about buying a Floyd Rose and route the bridge area, but if that's not possible I want a different black tremolo with a bar that fits a Squier. Any cheap suggestions (even better if it's from Guitarfetish.com)?

If you don't care to drill new holes for the 6-screw vintage, go with http://store.guitarfetish.com/vibltrfimeko.html ... same string spacing as your Squier or a MIM Fender Standard.

The Wilkinson one http://store.guitarfetish.com/blwivitrpoar.html would require you to fill in the old holes and re-drill. The benefit is a heftier tremolo block, similar to the MIA and MIJ Fenders.

Another option is buy a used MIM Fender Standard Strat bridge from 2006 or later ... they come with the beefier trem block and have the same string spacing as your Squier.

Quote by gwitersnamps
Theres a trem somewhere that is set up with a double cam that lets you go down & up without digging out part of the body. I'm not sure who makes it, though.

www.tremking.com ..... they make a trem that will drop in and can dive and yank... not sure about the quality tho.. .. plus its cheaper than a FR
OK, so I'm now thinking about getting this tremolo, the pulling up wasn't really necessary, just cool if it was possible... . I'm still hoping I could work it out though .
http://store.guitarfetish.com/vibltrfimeko.html
^^ That's the one.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
The squire has an odd post spacing for the pins on their wammies. So there is no direct drop in replacement. Ive been looking for mine and its a lefty so even harder to find. A floyd will cost quite a bit for a good one and require taking out wood. As you say your cheap a cheap floyd wont be any good. As for spray painting the hardware you can but it wont last. Spray paint doesnt stick to chromed parts and your hand and pick will take it off pretty quick. And no you cant just drop a locking nut in a strat. You will need to mod the neck to put one in.
Ouch. That changes everything. Didn't know that chrome parts weren't really sprayable. In that case I'm going to leave all my chrome parts in including my bridge, and just get a new wired pickguard (black, HSS), replace my nut with a black one, Replace my whammy bar with a white-tipped one,m and replace my back plate with a black one as well.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Right, I read the overview of it.

The floyd rose. Just pop in the route, you should be able to live without pulling up on it and your strings will thank you.

And I'm pretty sure you can get black HSS wired pickguards from most places that do them so you'll have a job saved

Also I wouldn't suggest spraying metal parrts really. You can buy them for just as cheap as you would a couple of cans of black car paint

Otherwise good plan
I was going to get a can of black paint anyway because I'll need it to paint my guitar. But I'm just going to keep my chrome items and replace white plastic items with black plastic (including the pickguard).
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
OK, right now this is my pricelist:

Black Tremolo Rear Cover Plate - 3.95 (http://store.guitarfetish.com/blthplytrrec.html)
Wired HSS Black Pickguard - 34.95 (http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssblpra.html)
Krylon Paint (Red, White, Black, Clear, Sander sealer) - 15.00
Sand paper (600 Grit) - 4.90
Scotch 3M Painters Tape 1/2" - 3.95
Scotch 3M Painters Tape 3/4" - 3.95
Scotch 3M Painters Tape 3/16" - 9.70
Exacto Knife - 4.50
---------------------------------------------------------- +
TOTAL = 80.90
Pickguard - 11.00
---------------------------------------------------------- -

E X P E N S E S ~ [ [ [ 69.90 ] ] ]

Just one question... does a Squier pickguard (loaded and wired) really fetch for around $10? Because I saw am lot of Fender pickguards sold for a lot more on Ebay, but are they the same thing?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Quote by asfastasdark
Just one question... does a Squier pickguard (loaded and wired) really fetch for around $10? Because I saw am lot of Fender pickguards sold for a lot more on Ebay, but are they the same thing?

They are not really the same thing the quality of the components is higher in the fender models. However i'm no expert.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Not all fender or squire pickguards fit all fender or squire guitars. Some have different screw hole patterns. Being a lefty Im stuck making mine anyways.
Ah, thanks... One more question now though:
If you get a Squier right out of the package, new out of the store, and you were to remove the strings, and then the pickguard, would all the electronics be attached to the pickguard? If yes, how? If no, I would be able to remove the pickguard and put an identical one in place of it, correct? If some parts are attached to the pickguard, what parts, and how?
I'm a n00b. First customization ever, and first electric guitar too.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
yea you just need to disconnect the bridge ground and the wires going to the output. As for the screw holes should be the same. Pickups and all the other electronics will be attached to the pickguard. You can always look at warmoth, their pickguards are a little more but can get alot more colors and will do it in whatever config you want(look at the black pearl). And putting pots and such in isnt a big deal. Cant imagine eddie when building his frankenstrats went and got prewired stuff.
I didnt do a frankenstrat. I went with a strat o paul, or les o caster. A squire body with 2 humbuckers and a warmoth conversion neck with LP headstock. I like the shorter scale. Having a really hard time finding a lefty wammy to put on.
IM using the same exact one, can you help me out becuase i'm doing the same thing except im keeping the same trem and putting in a humbucker in the bridge.
I am all for modding cheap guitars. I started doing my Strat. (pics in my profile) I blacked out mine and fit it with 2 Les Paul humbuckers and have a Fender SCN middle pickup in it. I had to route out the cavity for the neck. My first time routing, not hard at all. I don't think you will have to in your bridge.

One thing I would like you to think of. Do you want it to look nice, and play and sound the same as it does now? Or do you want to turn it into a really nice guitar?

If you don't care what is sounds and plays like then I say go ahead with the parts. I know you said your short on $$, but that pre-wired pick guard with pups switch pots and everything was like $30. Thats not going to sound good. IMO if you are going to put a bridge on it, make it a good one or don't bother. A cheap FR is going to be nothing but tuning problems drop tuning problems, its going to be a nightmare, and thats after it is custom installed.

If you really want to turn it into something nice, I think you should get nice parts piece by piece. That way it will get better and better as you get money. If you put cheap parts in, you will get cheap sound out. 3 pups at $80 a piece is a lot for a $150 guitar. But I think you are better off doing that then getting a $30 pre-wired pick guard.

Good luck with whatever you do. I did a lot of work on mine, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Quote by gwitersnamps

DUDE.

on the back of the squier. you take the casing off and unscrew the screws back there a little so it makes the bridge "float"

ya.. i plan on just using the original bridge from my squier too.... i just need to know what kinda of paint and clear coat

and need to find a cheap humbucker. im going full out and not using the full pickguard.
Quote by thaman33
DUDE.

on the back of the squier. you take the casing off and unscrew the screws back there a little so it makes the bridge "float"

ya.. i plan on just using the original bridge from my squier too.... i just need to know what kinda of paint and clear coat

and need to find a cheap humbucker. im going full out and not using the full pickguard.

The bridge still isn't going to truly 'float' unless you route the body out. You may be able to pull the notes up a bit, but nothing worth talking about. I'd just flush mount the Floyd...thats how it is on the Frankenstrat anyway.
Quote by asfastasdark
Also, I saw that the Floyd Rose I'm buying from Guitarfetish.com comes with a locking nut, and that EVH uses the same one (just chrome) on his Frankenstrat. Is it possible (or actually easy) to replace the nut that comes with a Strat with this locking nut (link to it at the bottom of this post)?

Kahler makes a string lock that goes behind the original nut.

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/Stringlocks.htm
If you don't like the beat up looking Frankenstrat. Check out zakkwyldefan79's guitar. He has a thread or there are pics in the Frankenstrat Lovers Group (link in my sig).
Quote by eyebanez333
If you don't like the beat up looking Frankenstrat. Check out zakkwyldefan79's guitar. He has a thread or there are pics in the Frankenstrat Lovers Group (link in my sig).

Yeah mine is Inspired by Eddie's but it's different in many ways. Here's a pic.