Im actually doing this for my dad.

Right now, he has a garrison acoustic which he finds hard for him to play, well, because its an acoustic. He dosent like the wide body profile. So he was interested in getting an electric, as he thinks it will help improve his playing.

He played a squier at GC the other day, and really liked it. Im a bassist, and know that the VM series basses are extremely nice, regardless of their low price tag. Is it the same way for guitars? I think he played an affinity series at GC, but im not sure he has a good ear for tone, or can tell good build quality (affinity basses are pretty terrible.)

Anyway, his budget is under $500, so anything else in that price range you guys would reccomend, let me know. He likes Classic rock and Blues. And some earlier RHCP stuff. thanks.
Check this site

www.rondomusic.com

There are some good entry level guitars.

Other choices are Squier Strat, and an Epiphone Les Paul (which will still be worthy when and if he gets to intermediate level).
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I wouldnt suggest getting an electric quite yet. If he gets used to play an acoustic when he finally does pick up an electric it will be ALOT easier to play. But if you insist I would suggest getting an Epiphon Les Paul Studio.
if he is willing to spend up to 500 he should look into a mim hss strat instead of squire.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
if he is willing to spend up to 500 he should look into a mim hss strat instead of squire.

+1. that or an Epi LP standard plain top, or if he can save up $50 more, an Epi LP standard plus top.

Also, I started on electric, a well-set up electric plays with a much lower action than any acoustic. I agree with you TS, squiers can be very good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 6, 2008,
Epi G-400 or MIM strat. Does he have an amp or is that also part of the $500?
I would also recommend a Epi G-400, and with the leftovers he can buy some gear if he wants to.
laguna is a great bargain guitar
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.