I'm pretty sure I'll be in need of new pickups pretty soon and I was wanting advice on what to get.....Right now my main guitar has a SH setup but it will probably be my backup once I get a new guitar. (The new one will be a while from now but I like to be well informed before buying anything.) I play a lot of Metal and Metal related music (Death, Metallica, Arch Enemy, Bullet For My Valentine, Pantera) so I need a high gain set of pickups but they would need to have decent cleans because I love playing clean from time to time.

I'm mostly looking at Duncans since I've heard EMG's can be a bit noisy but I do like how the EMG in my current guitar sounds. So what does UG recommend? (If there is a really high gain stacked single I would like that as well since I would like a Telecaster soon.)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

...Thank you....I saw Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie on there so that means John 5 which is very good. I'm glad you posted that link because I didn't want to mutilate a Tele or buy one with a humbucker for more money.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
EMGS aren't noisy...Active pickups are quieter than passive pickups...

A couple of questions...

What's your amp? An amp is more essential, as far as your tone goes, than pickups.
Why do you think you need "high gain pickups"? You should be trying to get the gain from your amp. That's where distortion should come from, not your pickups.
Quote by forsaknazrael
EMGS aren't noisy...Active pickups are quieter than passive pickups...

A couple of questions...

What's your amp? An amp is more essential, as far as your tone goes, than pickups.
Why do you think you need "high gain pickups"? You should be trying to get the gain from your amp. That's where distortion should come from, not your pickups.

I meant pickups that can handle a lot of Gain.....Right now I'm using a 65w Peavey Sheffield....How hard is it to replace the battery on an active pickup once it's installed in a guitar that previously had passive pickups? (Or do they cut a hole for the battery clip in the back of the guitar.) I really don't have enough money for a new amp and right now I'm a bedroom guitarist so it can't be too loud. I'm also saving up for a new bass amp and a new bass over the summer...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, why do you think you need new pickups, then?

Pickups aren't cheap, either...Expect to spend around 140-200 bucks, and maybe something if you don't install it yourself. That's almost halfway to a decent amp. Besides, active pickups are designed to drive a good tube amp's front end hard, and might make your solid state amp sound worse. Hell, you might not even notice a significant tonal difference with a set of new pickups...BTW, any pickup can handle any amount of gain. Lamb of God uses plenty of gain, and Mark Morton's guitar is equipped with Seymour Duncan SH-1's...which are designed as "vintage" output pickups with a PAF voicing.

It depends, some guitars that are retrofitted with active pickups DO get a battery drawer cavity routed and installed, some can fit it in their existing control cavity.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, why do you think you need new pickups, then?

Pickups aren't cheap, either...Expect to spend around 140-200 bucks, and maybe something if you don't install it yourself. That's almost halfway to a decent amp. Besides, active pickups are designed to drive a good tube amp's front end hard, and might make your solid state amp sound worse. Hell, you might not even notice a significant tonal difference with a set of new pickups...BTW, any pickup can handle any amount of gain. Lamb of God uses plenty of gain, and Mark Morton's guitar is equipped with Seymour Duncan SH-1's...which are designed as "vintage" output pickups with a PAF voicing.

It depends, some guitars that are retrofitted with active pickups DO get a battery drawer cavity routed and installed, some can fit it in their existing control cavity.

Well If I got a new amp I'm going to go for a rather large one most likely. I like getting a lot of information before buying anything (The pickups were going to be for a customized guitar or a future one.) and I really wanted to know if I could find a decent stacked single because I really don't care for the one in my current guitar.....Thanks for the help though, I'll probably pick up an amp after a while and by the time I upgrade my guitar it's stock pickups should do fine...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Well If I got a new amp I'm going to go for a rather large one most likely. I like getting a lot of information before buying anything (The pickups were going to be for a customized guitar or a future one.) and I really wanted to know if I could find a decent stacked single because I really don't care for the one in my current guitar.....Thanks for the help though, I'll probably pick up an amp after a while and by the time I upgrade my guitar it's stock pickups should do fine...

Well, you could get a "rather large one" for around 400-600 bucks. One MORE than capable of gigging. Even a tube amp.

Your amp right now is capable of getting over drums, too....It's just that I don't think it's really voiced for metal, and so you're trying to get tones out of it that it can't really do, by using your Digitech Death Metal pedal. And if that's where your tone is coming from, it's not like new pickups will do you much good. Besides, pickup swapping is for tweaking your tone. It doesn't sound like you have your "ideal" tone yet, so how can you know what pickups you need to change to?