Is it suitable for modern metal tones? I realize it's an older amp. Just wondering if it has the gain I'm looking for. Will be mated with a Mesa 2:90 if I decide to buy it off a guy on craigslist. Just never heard one.
I have never heard one, but I am assuming that it has tones similar to a Mark III. If I were you, I would get a Triaxis. Because it would make your switching project much cheaper being MIDI enabled.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the switching with this one. This is for another setup / projet
I had one.

It was very solid. The tones out of the thing were excellent. It could get very heavy too.

I have clips on my profile if you're interested.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
sounds good, very middy though. Not a lot of bass in the clips. Guitar sounds good but sounds kind of dry. It does just ooze "ride the lightening" though. Props to that. I'm just wondering if I could get a more modern tone out of it comprable to a rectifier tone?
If you want some modern examples, youtube FastRedPonyCar's vids on it. Gets kinda DTB/SYL tones on them, and i've heard it do Killswitch and LOG.

After i've gotten the guitars and pedals I want, I'd look into getting one myself.