Hi all,

I just had a quick question regarding Add chords: what key/mode do they fit in?

For example take Cadd9, would that be C Major, or a specified mode of C Major.

Kinda confusing. Thanks!

-g13
Cadd9 fits in C Ionian, Lydian, and Mixolydian. However, the context will determine the mode to use.

Write down all the scale degrees, and it is pretty obvious which mode it fits in.
That would depend on the chord. Chords can fit in a number of different keys (or none at all) depending on how they're constructed. A Cadd9 chord has the formula: 1-3-5-9 and consists of the notes: C-E-G-D. It can be used in any key that contains those notes (actually, in any key. Period. It won't necessarily be diatonic, but that's part of the fun of composing)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by gothikchile13
Hi all,

I just had a quick question regarding Add chords: what key/mode do they fit in?

For example take Cadd9, would that be C Major, or a specified mode of C Major.

Kinda confusing. Thanks!

-g13

An AddX chord would fit into any scale that has the added pitch.

Example: A Cadd9 would fit into any scale that has the notes of C (1), E (3), G (5) and D (9).

Also, don't forget that 9 = 2, 11 = 4, and 13 = 6.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking...I guess I just wanted verification. Kinda common sense when you think about it.

Thanks!

-g13