“I'm frustrated by what I hear. Maybe it's not meant for me. Personally, I'm way too bright for a lot of the hip-hop lyrics to affect. I'm much too smart to think that jewelry or how cool I am is really going to change much about my personality. If you're dumb enough that it entertains you, have a great time. But I am seeking more than that.”

I'm wondering where and when he said it and under what circumstances, if anyone happens to know.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by strat335
ahhh....Tom Petty is awesome

+1

dun know abt the origins of the quote though
Yes, Soulja Boy is a prodigy, the lyrical virtuoso of our time.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Yaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
All your base are belong to us.
bump
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Broken_Drum
I don't see how you could say that Hip Hop has lesser lyrical quality than any other genre.

Maybe because hip hop has lesser lyrical quality.

"I wanna **** you, **** you, you already know"

"I'm gonna drop that dick in ya"

"Soulja boy up in dat ho"

"I know you want me baby, I think I want you too, I know you love me baby, I think I love you too"

If two words rhyme and a hip hop artist discovers it, those two words will be the basis of their next 3 albums. And idiots will flock to them.

Edit: Also, lacking the intelligence to find words that actually do rhyme, they will just rhyme the same word with itself over and over, as illustrated above.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Schneiderman

"I know you want me baby, I think I want you too, I know you love me baby, I think I love you too"

If two words rhyme and a hip hop artist discovers it, those two words will be the basis of their next 3 albums. And idiots will flock to them.

Edit: Also, lacking the intelligence to find words that actually do rhyme, they will just rhyme the same word with itself over and over, as illustrated above.

None of those lyrics accurately display Hip Hop as a genre. I could quite easily take some **** lyrics from Rock songs also. Stop making idiotic, poorly put together generalizations.

Quote by frankv
I know some hip hop has brilliant lyrics, but I meant modern mainstream hip hop. Like Soulja Boy, Fiddy and the likes.

I know but Tom Petty said Hip Hop as a whole. If he was talking about poor quality mainstream Hip Hop he should have said so. Instead what he said sounded very ignorant.
my name is actually tom petty. and for further responses, "I **** you not."
Yes my name is Tom Petty.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
(crappy)RED Marshall Mg100hdfx Halfstack
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Quote by Broken_Drum
None of those lyrics accurately display Hip Hop as a genre. I could quite easily take some **** lyrics from Rock songs also. Stop making idiotic, poorly put together generalizations.

They don't accurately represent hip hop? Those are from some extremely popular hip hop songs from the most popular artists that are very often played on the radio. Those lyrics are what hip hop is about.

Now, rock and everything else has some lame lyrics too. What's the difference? Nobody is putting real value into rock lyrics. Rock stars don't think they're lyrical masters when they just throw together some words to make into a throwaway song. Hip hop artists and rappers and the like, however, think they are geniuses. People like 50 Cent think they are prodigies, masterful writers who will come to be known as classics and visionaries. Kanye West writes [poorly written] songs about what a great song writer he is, he LITERALLY thinks he is a writer of biblical proportions. And he just mispronounces words to make them rhyme when he can't find ones that actually do. And, he's still singing about shoes. I don't think that's very biblical.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by tommyp484
"I **** you not."

sorry? I "poo" you not

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by Schneiderman

None of those lyrics represent Hip Hop, those artists are more pop/RnB
most rap makes no sense, and has nothing but retarded rhyming and made up words. so naturally, retards flock to it.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by _Mayday_
None of those lyrics represent Hip Hop, those artists are more pop/RnB

It's all the same ****, rap, hip hop, the genre that is now known as R&B (which is NOT R&B, btw).

It's all the same. Seriously. Fans of rap will argue with fans of hip hop over whether Kanye West is a rapper or a hip hop artist, I've seen them do it. They don't even know the difference themselves, so don't try to tell me that there is one.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Schneiderman
They don't accurately represent hip hop? Those are from some extremely popular hip hop songs from the most popular artists that are very often played on the radio. Those lyrics are what hip hop is about.

Now, rock and everything else has some lame lyrics too. What's the difference? Nobody is putting real value into rock lyrics. Rock stars don't think they're lyrical masters when they just throw together some words to make into a throwaway song. Hip hop artists and rappers and the like, however, think they are geniuses. People like 50 Cent think they are prodigies, masterful writers who will come to be known as classics and visionaries. Kanye West writes [poorly written] songs about what a great song writer he is, he LITERALLY thinks he is a writer of biblical proportions. And he just mispronounces words to make them rhyme when he can't find ones that actually do. And, he's still singing about shoes. I don't think that's very biblical.

Wow, you sure proved me wrong by mentioning two well know, mainstream Hip Hop artists. Hip Hop is mainly focused around the lyrics yes, and as with Rock it's a mixed barrel. You can't listen to MTV and expect to hear good Hip Hop artists you have to look further. Ever listened to Mos Def, Saul Williams, Dalek, MF Grimm, The Roots, Jedi Mind Tricks? Again if Rock is not focused around lyrical content but instead musical, I could easily pick out some bland, unoriginal Rock bands/artists even though they would not represent Rock as a whole. Can you honestly say you think every band on MTV2's "Rock Top 10" is exciting and innovative?

EDIT:
Quote by Schneiderman
It's all the same ****, rap, hip hop, the genre that is now known as R&B (which is NOT R&B, btw).

It's all the same. Seriously. Fans of rap will argue with fans of hip hop over whether Kanye West is a rapper or a hip hop artist, I've seen them do it. They don't even know the difference themselves, so don't try to tell me that there is one.

Sorry, but after reading this post I've come to the conclusion that you're pretty much a lost cause.
Last edited by Broken_Drum at Apr 7, 2008,
I was going to argue about something with someone but then I got thinking. Do I care about Tom Petty? No. Do I care about hip hop? No. Do I care about the difference between hip hop and rap? Certainly not (there IS a difference between them though. Anthony Kiedis raps sometime, but it still isn't hip hop).

I feel bad for starting this argument.
Quote by frankv
I was going to argue about something with someone but then I got thinking. Do I care about Tom Petty? No. Do I care about hip hop? No. Do I care about the difference between hip hop and rap? Certainly not (there IS a difference between them though. Anthony Kiedis raps sometime, but it still isn't hip hop).

I feel bad for starting this argument.

It's fine, you didn't start this. I have no problem with people who don't like Rap/ Hip Hop, I just don't like those who make unjustifiable generalizations and write them off as fact.
Quote by Broken_Drum
It's fine, you didn't start this. I have no problem with people who don't like Rap/ Hip Hop, I just don't like those who make unjustifiable generalizations and write them off as fact.

This.

All the crappy "All hip-hop is crap Soulja Boy 50 Cent blah blah" makes people sound ignorant.

Listen to some Nas, Joe Budden, Immortal Technique or Eminem (yes, Eminem) before you make gross generalisations.
Quote by Kinks>Stones
This.

All the crappy "All hip-hop is crap Soulja Boy 50 Cent blah blah" makes people sound ignorant.

Listen to some Nas, Joe Budden, Immortal Technique or Eminem (yes, Eminem) before you make gross generalisations.

Thank you. And Nas is quite the lyricist.
Quote by Schneiderman

Except rock was never focused around a vocalist, it was focused around a band.
Rock artists don't mispronounce words make them flow? That's bullshit and you know it.

Hiphop was originally designed to be party music. It comes from MCs rapping over funk beat breaks at urban parties. Its meant to be fun. If Tom Petty can't just have fun and get bouncy to a good party song, I think he needs to pull his head out of his ass. I'm not specifically referring to 50 Cent or Kanye West (who is actually a great producer, btw), but there is plenty of good party rap for just having fun and being drunk and stupid.
Also, I've never heard Soulja Boy claim to be a lyrical genius. He may say that he's "the man", but keep in mind, this is just another way to hype up a party. It brings aggression, and aggression is energy.
underground rap is some of the most lyrically intelligent music there is. mainstream rap has to be dumbed down so the majority of the population can digest it. tom petty needs to stop being such a douchebag.
Quote by Broken_Drum

*Sigh*

If this was aimed for me, I already explained myself. There's some rap I like (like Nas and Pete Philly & Perquisite). I was just trying to find out why Tom would say such a thing, and I was being lazy in my writing so it across as a huge generalisation.
Quote by Schneiderman
Yes, Soulja Boy is a prodigy, the lyrical virtuoso of our time.

hey shut up dumass solja boyis the best!! n ur gayrock will always suk so y dont u just go jerk off ur guitar u f..a..g.oot
I'm frustrated by what I hear. Maybe it's not meant for me. Personally, I'm way too bright for a lot of the hip-hop lyrics to affect.
Quote by frankv
*Sigh*

If this was aimed for me, I already explained myself. There's some rap I like (like Nas and Pete Philly & Perquisite). I was just trying to find out why Tom would say such a thing, and I was being lazy in my writing so it across as a huge generalisation.

No, not at all. This wasn't aimed at you. This was aimed at that other user who tried to generalise all Hip Hop. Sorry if it came across that way.
Quote by Kinks>Stones

Immortal Technique - Industrial Revolution
" " - Peruvian Cocaine
" " - Dance With The Devil
Quote by Broken_Drum
No, not at all. This wasn't aimed at you. This was aimed at that other user who tried to generalise all Hip Hop. Sorry if it came across that way.

This thread made me tired of trying to be politically correct by the way...Maybe becoming an ignorant douche would be easier.
Did you guys actually read the quote before deciding to bash his opinion on Hip-Hop?

“I'm frustrated by what I hear. Maybe it's not meant for me. Personally, I'm way too bright for a lot of the hip-hop lyrics to affect. I'm much too smart to think that jewelry or how cool I am is really going to change much about my personality. If you're dumb enough that it entertains you, have a great time. But I am seeking more than that.”

He didn't say that Hip-Hop as a whole is ignorant and stupid. He said "a lot of [it]", stop putting words in his mouth just so you can try and sound cool about knowing some good rap groups. I love Hip-Hop (at least, the better side of it), and even I have to admit that at least 90% of today's rap music is shit. You don't have to misinterpret what someone is saying in order to get your point across.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
The man needs to listen to some listen to some Gill Scott Heron then come back when he can write half as good lyrics.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by musicianamedave
Did you guys actually read the quote before deciding to bash his opinion on Hip-Hop?

He didn't say that Hip-Hop as a whole is ignorant and stupid. He said "a lot of [it]", stop putting words in his mouth just so you can try and sound cool about knowing some good rap groups. I love Hip-Hop (at least, the better side of it), and even I have to admit that at least 90% of today's rap music is shit. You don't have to misinterpret what someone is saying in order to get your point across.

Then I apologise, I must have misinterpreted what he said. I'm sorry.
Quote by musicianamedave

The man is obviously a jackass... 'if you're dumb enough that it entertains you'

Yes, everyone is looking for spiritual enlightenment in music.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I don't really like Tom Petty, but I definitely agree that most rap is too redundant and stupid for me to listen to. Not saying there aren't a few exceptions, but for the most part I personally don't consider it to be good music, or even music at all.

Just my opinion though...
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...