I looked through your vast repository of posts about it but I couldn't find anything on anyone having trouble with them since there are so many so please excuse if it's a repeat. I'm really happy with the community and thanks to it I've become a WAY better guitarist than I was roughly a month ago. But I have a question about a simple technique that I can't seem to get right..

From my understand, a harmonic is supposed to produce a bell-like tone, but for some reason whenever I make mine (Which is suppose to be holding it lightly over the fret without pressing down, if I'm correct) It just seems to create a sound much like if I palm-mutted it. Am figure I'm pressing down too hard, even though the string is no where near the fret.

Am I suppose to touch the fret? Does anyone know any songs that have Harmonics that are easy to hear and play so that I can get a good practice and understand exactly how it should sound?

You guys've pretty much kindly helped me with any newbie problem I came here with, even though I'm sure it's annoying to hear it over and over again, so I'm hoping I can get a little help with this one too.

Thanks in advanced!
when you do a natural harmonic there are only certain fretus that get the bell like tone when your finger is touching the string the 7th fret the ninth and others i can think of
you're pushing too firmly. Just in case you haven't read this, remember n.atural harmonics only sound out properly at certain spots like the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets. Just keep trying a lighter and lighter touch, practice at the 12th fret where it is easiest.
You can only get good Harmonics on the 5th, 7th, 12th and 19th fret. You lightly put your finger over the fret wire between 5 and 6, 7 and 8...Good luck
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Alright. Thanks alot for the help.

Yeah, I did remember that much from the lesson. Thanks again. I'll keep trying at it till I can get it.
i find i can only get a harmonic if i take my finger off directly after picking it.

try that
=]
Quote by freddaahh
I do think it is a rather suspect sound of metal dildos and horses.
Basically, you want to just lightly put your finger on the string, directly above the fret bar (not the correct term but the metal bars that separate the frets). So for the 12th fret harmonic, you want to place your finger right over the fret bar that divides the 12th and 13th frets.