Hey, I got a guitar in january, first electric
its a Devlin Speedking 100, basswood body, double humbucker, rosewood neck
I put in about 300 USD for it
Im thinking about trading it in for something with a clearer tone, the basswoodlower tone of this guitar isnt working for me.
I want to play blues, funk, some alternative, and some rock, so a well ranged guitar would be excellent

Tones I like are john mayers, the electric guitars of John Butler Trios and the rhythm of Atreyu.
I understand some of this will come with the amp/pedals used

so any suggestions?
I really liked the sound my friends Gibson had, it was a lower end form the 90s
you don't need a new guitar you need new pickups and a new amp those 2 are +85% of your sound
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
I've heard good things from danelectro users, and and one I played sounded great.
seeing as I have the option of returning the guitar, id rather get a different guitar all together
no save up for a good amp and pickup or save up for a decent guitar but amp and pickups make up most of your sound
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Yeah, that and I dont trust devlin brands.
what sort of pickups would be a good place to start?
price range
-George Will

actually how much was the guitar
cuz you could get a languna http://www.playlaguna.com/home.cfm they are pretty good and very cheap
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-LE222-HSS-Electric-Guitar-104515341-i1375183.gc
-George Will

I got the guitar for 300 which looking back, was probably a ripoff for what I got
thats good you can sell it for a decent amount and get some cash
now look at these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=laguna&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go
-George Will

remember there will be a depreciated value for the guitar
-George Will

What im hoping is for a full return , the guitars in mint condition really, for at least store credit. its a real small shop. Then have them order the guitar plus whatever fees for it
that works i'm just saying laguna is the only bargain guitar brand i trust
-George Will

yeah, that laguna guitar you linked seems great, same deal as the more expensive strat I listed. What tone does it give, and how does the neck feel?
neck feels great and the sound is really good
it so good i would feel bad if someone made it a shop guitar
-George Will

you pay mostly for the name and honestly the toggle and nobs feel real cheap and in your price range you'd be going for squire which are generally worse
-George Will

what about the fenders I listed?
Anything in the epiphone series worth looking at in that range either?
I was hoping to find an epiphone thats not modeled after a gibson, just a standalone model
Gibson (parent company)
epiphone(import gibson)
Kramer (gibsons metal guitar company)
-George Will

like i said laguna is the only bargain brand i can give you my word on
-George Will