Hey UG, I was thinking of picking up a bass.
I'm really into RHCP and Les Claypools stuff, so I want to set them as a goal.
They use a lot of slapping and popping and I was wondering if I should get a slap bass or a standard bass. Does the slap bass sound too odd when played without using slapping popping techniques? Also could you recommend me to a good bass for the genre? Thanks a bunch.
slap bass is actually a technique and not a type of bass, so any bass will work. as for a reccomendation, try a squier precision. for now anyways. when you get better, move to something a little more expensive, like something 600$
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Buffalo Phil
Hey UG, I was thinking of picking up a bass.
I'm really into RHCP and Les Claypools stuff, so I want to set them as a goal.
They use a lot of slapping and popping and I was wondering if I should get a slap bass or a standard bass. Does the slap bass sound too odd when played without using slapping popping techniques? Also could you recommend me to a good bass for the genre? Thanks a bunch.

There is no slap bass specifically. Any bass can be slapped on. I'd suggest an ibanez or squier bass to start off with. Just make sure the bass is a long scale 34 inch necked one because slapping sounds pretty rubbish through a short scale
Quote by Ali-b912
There is no slap bass specifically. Any bass can be slapped on. I'd suggest an ibanez or squier bass to start off with. Just make sure the bass is a long scale 34 inch necked one because slapping sounds pretty rubbish through a short scale

+1
Dead strings sound horrible when slapping too. Certain basses do sound tons better than others.