Does anyone have any recommendations for effects to use when playing a violin bow solo? I know the wah and delay are key, I was wondering if there's anything else you guys might recommend.
Like, on a violin? Or on a guitar using a bow?
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
HA! i just remembered the part in Spinal Tap where he stops to tune the violin
Actually I personally wouldn't use a wah (if I were going to do a bow solo which I would only do if I were covering Dazed and Confused). Delay is essential, I might use light fuzz and I would experiment and see how my univibe sounds with it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I like to use a whammy pedal with it. Extra distortion helps bring out the sound. As stated, delay and wah are excellent. A flanger or phaser can sound good with it too.
I use a wah and occasionally a delay with a bow. The wah is essential IMO; it certainly is if you're doing dazed and confused.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 7, 2008,
alright thanks guys. I'm planning on improving something that sounds like dazed and confused, thats the type of sound i'm looking for. My guitar isnt that specced out though, it's an epiphone les paul standard plus, do you think that would be an issue with sound?
Quote by RabidHippo
alright thanks guys. I'm planning on improving something that sounds like dazed and confused, thats the type of sound i'm looking for. My guitar isnt that specced out though, it's an epiphone les paul standard plus, do you think that would be an issue with sound?

Nope, it should sound good. Make sure you know what you're doing with the bow- rosin, technique etc. It takes a little practice but it can be done. I'd suggest a fiberglass bow because they're harder to break.
Well, E-Bows are always effective. I've never used wah and delay together for a voilin sound myself, for toehr things yes.

My opinion would be to get a volume pedal and use it with a little delay and that pretty much hits the spot. Also, Boss used to make a pedal designed to do that exact effect called the Boss SG-1 Slow Gear but that is out of production and costs a packet on Ebay. There are alternatives however. Build Your Own Clone makes one (I will get the name of it for you later if you request it of me) and Guyatone also make a replica of it (the name also escapes me but I can get it for you). As I said, these pedals are especially designed to replicate that violin sound.

That's all I got in the memory.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM