I just recently bought my first tube amp, Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 watt head i have a b-52 4x12 and my tone is great when im playing it through the head itself with distortion, but i was wanting to hook up my Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal next practice havent got to do it yet, but before i do, does it take away from the tone of the tubes? do you even need a distortion pedal for a tube amp?
You don't NEED a distorition pedal for any amp.

You can use the pedal through the head's clean channel instead of using the onboard distortion, but I don't imagine it'd sound any better than what it already has.
Firstly, the head's own ' distortion isn't 'distortion'. You're driving the amp hard, you're getting overdrive. Distortion is a separate entity; overdrive is the natural clipping of the signal due to high input, distortion is artificially altering the signal, separate from the input level.

As such, you will get a different tone when using a distortion pedal, though it's not technically 'taking away' or altering the tone of the tube amp. The amp is still providing all of it's usually tone, it's just that now, the amp itself isn't clipping the signal, instead it's playing out an already artificially clipped signal. This is why overdrive and distortion sounds differently in the first place.

Long and short of it is, if you're playing metal or 80's rock, you're mostly going to want the artificial, more metallic sounding tone of distortion though your amp. If you're more of a hard rocker or blues player (I'm guessing not), then you'll want overdrive, not distortion, so you'll prefer the amp's natural tone, or you'll be better off with an overdrive pedal.

Quote by Alexander_BR
People use an Overdrive to boost through the distortion channel on a Tube Amp.
This is different, and you said it yourself - the overdrive boosts the signal, which will cause the amp to naturally clip more; this is even more obvious when used on an amp's higher gain channel.

Using a distortion pedal though with it is different. You're then not boosting the signal, you're adding in artificial signal editing on top of that signal being naturally clipped. The end result is normally a very, very messy wall of noise that is unwanted by everyone.
Quote by sleepytones
I just recently bought my first tube amp, Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 watt head i have a b-52 4x12 and my tone is great when im playing it through the head itself with distortion, but i was wanting to hook up my Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal next practice havent got to do it yet, but before i do, does it take away from the tone of the tubes? do you even need a distortion pedal for a tube amp?

If the tone you're getting from the head is great why would you want to hook up anything else?

I would also say that if you don't like the tone you get from a tube amp for any reason then you bought the wrong one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I guess if the pedal has a Gain knob, couldn't he put it around half or something like that to get something similar to an Overdrive pedal?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I guess if the pedal has a Gain knob, couldn't he put it around half or something like that to get something similar to an Overdrive pedal?

No, it still won't sound the same, especially on a pedal like the Uber metal which just flat out doesn't do low gain at all; even on it's lowest gain setting it still outdoes the highest gain setting on my OD808.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bokuho
This is different, and you said it yourself - the overdrive boosts the signal, which will cause the amp to naturally clip more; this is even more obvious when used on an amp's higher gain channel.

Using a distortion pedal though with it is different. You're then not boosting the signal, you're adding in artificial signal editing on top of that signal being naturally clipped. The end result is normally a very, very messy wall of noise that is unwanted by everyone.

so, just to make sure I got it...a distortion pedal gives you an artificial tone that's better for metal, but not really good for a tube amp and an overdrive pedal can increase the distortion in a tube amp to get more of a hard rock sound?
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by tincho729
so, just to make sure I got it...a distortion pedal gives you an artificial tone that's better for metal, but not really good for a tube amp and an overdrive pedal can increase the distortion in a tube amp to get more of a hard rock sound?

Kind of; distortion pedals do give a more artificial sound but you can get tube amps that do metal sounds perfectly well without the aid of pedals (Rectifiers, Kranks, Bogner Uberschall, the list goes on for miles); but it is true that if you want a good vintage low-gain style tone the best place to go is a good tube amp.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.