Page 1 of 4
This summer, I will be in the market for a good Boutique amp (like, no mass produced stuff unless I find something I really like).
I've been suggested a Swart Atomic Space Tone, which looks incredible, and has a few good endorsements, but I can't find any clips of it with a strat and without reverb or trem.
The reason i'm making another one of these threads, is in my last thread, I was set on a Ceriatone, but someone mentioned the Swart, and I wouldn't have ever seen it if he wouldn't have suggested it.
I am posting this to see if anyone else knows of boutique amps which I haven't really heard of.

I have a 2000 USD budget, and I would like a combo so I don't have to worry about having a heavy load.
Here's the necessary criteria for it:

Between 15 and 50 watts
All Tube (not necessarily a tube rectifier)
Atleast a 10 or 12 inch speaker
American voiced

Here are some of things I would like, but really don't need.

Portable, but if it has that much better tone, i'll sacrifice portability
effects loop
onboard reverb
full EQ and gain controls, but I could just get an EQ pedal if need be
Good warranty (i'm not really sure if boutique amp makers have good warranties)

I am going for great cleans and good low to mid gain overdrive. Ideally, I would like a reasonable SRV-ish tone, and with some Santana abilities too.
It'll be used for all styles of blues and classic rock.

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
This summer, I will be in the market for a good Boutique amp (like, no mass produced stuff unless I find something I really like).
I've been suggested a Swart Atomic Space Tone, which looks incredible, and has a few good endorsements, but I can't find any clips of it with a strat and without reverb or trem.
The reason i'm making another one of these threads, is in my last thread, I was set on a Ceriatone, but someone mentioned the Swart, and I wouldn't have ever seen it if he wouldn't have suggested it.
I am posting this to see if anyone else knows of boutique amps which I haven't really heard of.

I have a 2000 USD budget, and I would like a combo so I don't have to worry about having a heavy load.
Here's the necessary criteria for it:

Between 15 and 50 watts
All Tube (not necessarily a tube rectifier)
Atleast a 10 or 12 inch speaker
American voiced

Here are some of things I would like, but really don't need.

Portable, but if it has that much better tone, i'll sacrifice portability
effects loop
onboard reverb
full EQ and gain controls, but I could just get an EQ pedal if need be
Good warranty (i'm not really sure if boutique amp makers have good warranties)

I am going for great cleans and good low to mid gain overdrive. Ideally, I would like a reasonable SRV-ish tone, and with some Santana abilities too.
It'll be used for all styles of blues and classic rock.

Thanks!

You know, im not sure if they're within your pricerange, but i know of a place like 30 miles away from me called savage audio that makes some NICE ass amps. they hand build them in their pretty small shop.
http://www.savageamps.com/
Thats their site
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yeah, but take a look at the swart: http://swartamps.com/swart_atomic_space_tone.htm

The swart has all tube everything, and is a combo so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a cab.
This is why it's so hard to choose between these two amps.
Plus, slatsmania suggested the swart, and his opinion means alot to me.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i recommend the bassman or a similar fender. i don't think spending all that extra money on something "boutique" will yield substantive and justifiable improvements in tone.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Quote by gazaa
i recommend the bassman or a similar fender. i don't think spending all that extra money on something "boutique" will yield substantive and justifiable improvements in tone.

was that a joke?
The difference between a botique handbuilt amp and a mass produced dummed down vintage reissue is huge.

Oh yeah, and i think the dude from pearl jam (his name escapes me right now) uses some savage audio amps, because his guitar tech works there when hes not on tour with pearl jam.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Those savages are british voiced, and I couldn't find a price.
Also, I like to be unique and have something which isn't exactly common. That's one of the reasons I don't want mass produced stuff.
Plus, i've never liked reissues. and I don't think I could get an original for 2 grand.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I agree wit gaza dark.

Don't spend so much on a amp thats only gonna give a you a little bit better tone then the "mass" produced ones.

do you want american or brit voiced

if you want American go for a deluxe reverb or a bassman maybe.

if you want brit try out a vintage marshall maybe a blues breaker or plexi

don't buy reisuess you have enough to buy the real thing
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 6, 2008,
Honestly, most people (probably even you) can't tell the difference between the nice mass produced amps and the boutique ones.

Buy something that you like the sound of and screw how many others will have the same thing. If you like it, then that is what you want.

As a touring musician, I could not justify taking a $2000 P2P wired amp on the road and putting it through that brutality. My Twin Reverb takes a beating (200 shows in the last year) and is still running smooth (especially with my NEW weber 12A150's). Buy what you like the sound of, not whose name is on the front.
I want to go boutique because I like being unique, and boutique has that mojo that reissues don't have. I have enough for an original? Where can I find them?
And don't worry, I research amps when they're suggested. I look up professional reviews, user clips/reviews, and stuff like that.
The swart caught my eye especially is it's all tubeyness (including the reverb and tremolo).
Thanks for the recommendations thus far! That zachary looks cool, but I would like something a bit more established.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 6, 2008,
originall JCM800s are only like 800 bucks.

I though Old plexis were only like 1500 2000

same with the deluxe reverbs
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by darkarbiter7
I want to go boutique because I like being unique, and boutique has that mojo that reissues don't have. I have enough for an original? Where can I find them?

A decent Blackface Twin Reverb is about $1600, so yes, you have enough. Check Ebay.

Why are you going to spend that much money for an amp that will inevitably get beaten up (if you gig) no matter how well you treat it? Be unique with your playing, don't worry so much about what name is on your gear.

Also, my Twin has plenty of mojo. It is still the same circuit as the original, I just put speakers in that were closer to the original specs.
Two Rock imo.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Darkarbiter's ear > you.

He wants american voiced.

Prove it. Prove that any of you can actually hear the difference.
its a little sad that you're defining your "unique" identity through purchasing things. if you want to be unique, design and build something yourself. write a great composition. don't buy; do. don't try to define your identity through consumption. i don't know how you can dismiss all reissues carte blanche; some are crap, others aren't.

kool98769: no, i was not joking. fender makes some good amps that have impressive pedigrees. if your tone is that dependent on an amp then some other aspect of your playing is probably lacking. jeff beck gets great sound out of a strat and bassman. being built "by hand" does not make an amp better. granted, timbre is subjective.

i'm just suggesting you try them out, especially if you want SRV sounds. but if you want to cling to the notion that you need an expensive, handwired amp to sound good, go for it.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Last edited by gazaa at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by colin617

+1 man

I'm not saying you don't have a good ear dark buy man it's hard to justifiy spending that much on a Boutiqe name basically.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by colin617

Invalid point. The normal assumption would be that the amps WOULD be worth the money, so we're going to need some proof to the otherwise in order to take your point seriously.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Darkarbiter's ear > you.

He wants american voiced.

Thanks. I'm contemplating whether or not to sig that .
I have my own reasons for going boutique, some of it is my personality, and some of it is the fact that I just think it sounds better than alot of similar priced mass produced amps out today. Plus, I like supporting smaller companies with smaller workshops, rather than supporting huge companies like Fender or Marshall or the like with huge factories.

Take it easy on me guys, I just want to go boutique.
Because, in all honesty, I feel that the tones are better. I've played a couple of boutique amps and I could hear (and feel) the difference between that an a mass produced one of similar tonality.
Plus, I'd rather buy an amp off of someone like Mike Swart (I think that's his first name) who works out of a garage workshop instead of supporting Fender who has a few huge factories.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I have my own reasons for going boutique, some of it is my personality, and some of it is the fact that I just think it sounds better than alot of similar priced mass produced amps out today. Plus, I like supporting smaller companies with smaller workshops, rather than supporting huge companies like Fender or Marshall or the like with huge factories.

if you buy original your not supporting them they don't get money for them if you buy an original.

I have a couple amps you might like though

http://www.alessandro-products.com/amps.html
http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=cat007
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
if you buy original your not supporting them they don't get money for them if you buy an original.

I can't comprehend what you're trying to say here. Which is odd, because last time I checked, they spoke English in Minnesota.

Quote by darkarbiter7

Do it... you know you want to .
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I can't comprehend what you're trying to say here. Which is odd, because last time I checked, they spoke English in Minnesota.

lol. sorry.

what I'm saying is: If you buy one that was made in the 70s or whenever that arn't made anymore your not supporting the big compaines because they don't get your money

here are some more amps I found

http://www.carramps.com/vincent.html
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Invalid point. The normal assumption would be that the amps WOULD be worth the money, so we're going to need some proof to the otherwise in order to take your point seriously.

What? That made no sense.

For one, Dumble amps are based on Blackface circuits, therefore, they should theoretically sound the same. Actually, to most people they do. Listen to SRV's Soul to Soul and pick out when he used Vibroverbs and when he used the Dumble.

Are boutique amps great? Duh. But most people cannot tell the difference between a boutique amp and the original that the boutique is trying to emulate. Go figure, a boutique amp is typically based on another amp that was mass produced.
Quote by Bostonrocks
lol. sorry.

what I'm saying is: If you buy one that was made in the 70s or whenever that arn't made anymore your not supporting the big compaines because they don't get your money

True, but at the same time, you're not supporting small, boutique amp- makers.
Quote by gazaa
its a little sad that you're defining your "unique" identity through purchasing things. if you want to be unique, design and build something yourself. write a great composition. don't buy; do. don't try to define your identity through consumption. i don't know how you can dismiss all reissues carte blanche; some are crap, others aren't.

kool98769: no, i was not joking. fender makes some good amps that have impressive pedigrees. if your tone is that dependent on an amp then some other aspect of your playing is probably lacking. jeff beck gets great sound out of a strat and bassman. being built "by hand" does not make an amp better. granted, timbre is subjective.

i'm just suggesting you try them out, especially if you want SRV sounds. but if you want to cling to the notion that you need an expensive, handwired amp to sound good, go for it.

No, im saying that the reissues arent what they're modelled after
I'd probably take a vintage plexi over a botique amp.
You're right, built by hand doesnt make the tone better (well, it could in a way, if they use better quality components), but the reliability is going to be better, and repairs will be much easier. (although you will probably never have to get it repaired)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I get what you're saying bostonrocks.
But, are vintage fenders really that common and in my pricerange? If so, where can I get them?
Do they really go for 2 grand on ebay? It seems like they would sell for more than that.

Ok, just everyone stop arguing.
I just wanted some recommendations .

I'm going Boutique unless I can find an original at a good price and in good condition.
Thanks for the recommendations bostonrocks, but those are SLIGHTLY out of my price range.
Thanks for looking though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
True, but at the same time, you're not supporting small, boutique amp- makers.

your right. I think this is a pretty stupid argument though.

I think he should just buy something HE likes not what we think he wants. we can suggest all we want but this is gonna be his decision in the end.

I personally think he should just buy a vintage fender or maybe a Sunn amp and save some dough so he can buy pedals guitars whatever
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
your right. I think this is a pretty stupid argument though.

I think he should just buy something HE likes not what we think he wants. we can suggest all we want but this is gonna be his decision in the end.

I personally think he should just buy a vintage fender or maybe a Sunn amp and save some dough so he can buy pedals guitars whatever

Exactly. And I think that the few hundred dollars that he'd save by going for a vintage Fender or something would still be put to better use towards the awesome factor of having a boutique amp.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Exactly. And I think that the few hundred dollars that he'd save by going for a vintage Fender or something would still be put to better use towards the awesome factor of having a boutique amp.

maybe. well. I dunno. your right in some ways and wrong in others imo. Well is the Fraction of a difference in tone in a Dumble worth the extra 500 or whatever it is. I think he could put that extra 500 bucks he saves to better use. like a couple of boutiqe pedals or a nice guitar
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Good, hopefully we're done arguing
But seriously bostonrocks, what can vintage bassmans and blackfaces be had for?
And I really don't believe in pedals apart from boosts and wahs and stuff like that.
The cool thing is if I go with the swart, I already have a tube driven trem and reverb built in, so that'll save a few hundred.
The swart is the frontrunner at the moment, and the whole reason I made this thread is to see if anyone could convince me of something better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Just get a box and stuff Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and BB King in there. Best amp ever...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Good, hopefully we're done arguing
But seriously bostonrocks, what can vintage bassmans and blackfaces be had for?
And I really don't believe in pedals apart from boosts and wahs and stuff like that.
The cool thing is if I go with the swart, I already have a tube driven trem and reverb built in, so that'll save a few hundred.
The swart is the frontrunner at the moment, and the whole reason I made this thread is to see if anyone could convince me of something better.

you could get a vintage delluxe reverb or bassman for like 1500 bucks proably.

but it looks that i can't convince you of anything else so this is kinda pointless
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Just get a box and stuff Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and BB King in there. Best amp ever...

SIGGED lol!

btw what bout the visual sounds amp.

you can set it for EL34s or 6L6s
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-Workhorse-Stallion-60W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481045
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
you could get a vintage delluxe reverb or bassman for like 1500 bucks proably.

but it looks that i can't convince you of anything else so this is kinda pointless

As I said before, i'm going boutique UNLESS I can find an original in good condition and the right price.
thanks for that info.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Bostonrocks
SIGGED lol!

btw what bout the visual sounds amp.

you can set it for EL34s or 6L6s
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-Workhorse-Stallion-60W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481045

That thing looks like a Mexican's subwoofer.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
That thing looks like a Mexican's subwoofer.

lol I've heard good things about it though

EDIT: woooo thousand post!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 4