I know a lot of people on the forum hate Guitar Center (especially the employees who will tell you anything to get you to buy it). I am not a bid fan of the place, but its where I get most of my gear from because they sell stuff so cheap. I don't know how many of you knew this but you could talk them down on price and everything I got for between 74-78% of the sticker price. I was in there this weekend talking to the guy I usually get stuff from and he told me they can no longer sell for less than the retail price! Starting January 15 this year they stopped negotiating prices. I don't know what I am going to do. I am going to have to start buying my gear at retail . But whatever I do I am definitely not going to be buying from Guitar Center anymore!
And a wise man once said:

"7 Strings are more brutal than 6"
For some reason I doubt employees will follow this....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
that's a lie, I bought stuff there two weeks ago and they mark down prices for me

they probably just don't like you IMO
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
they cant stop negotiating, the whole place is built upon commisions. no sales = no money
See my profile

Got that baby for $150 off negotiating

Too bad they dont do that anymore...
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
oh cool. They told me that there is some new corporate policy that the venders are mad and the company is losing money and that the computer system will no longer let them lower the prices. I should have known they were lying....

I know a guy there, and whenever I buy something, he goes "Whoops! Accidentally gave you an employee discount! Here's your receipt."
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
The Manager at the Guitar Center by me told me the same thing a few months ago.....
i've only been there 2-3 times but i liked it..they didn't try to talk me into a bunch of random crap..how do you negotiate and haggle and whatnot? i'm only 16, i need to know these skills for later in life
...why?
"the computer wont let me do it" hahaha bull****, even if they did overhaul their system its because THEY wanted to
When I go to buy my new bass gear I'm sure as hell not going to dish out 1000$....I'll probably try to get at least a free case and some cords or something....I'll probably talk them down on an amp so I can get a bigger one....

AgentHappyDay: Dude, just tell them that you don't have enough for whatever you're buying and you have a gig tomorrow and you NEED this gear or something.....I usually get my mom to say she's running low on cash and won't have enough for gas to get home so she can get 50$ or more off...If you're getting a cheap-ass guitar to customize I'm sure you could talk down the price since the employees probably know it's not worth the listed price...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by Osiris77
The Manager at the Guitar Center by me told me the same thing a few months ago.....

Maybe its a Florida thing

I just bought a Valveking there, and the guy didn't mark the price down, but he threw in a monster cable, a strap, and three sets of strings. That's a little more than $70 bucks worth of stuff, and the amp was only $430, so I'd say you can still get a good deal at GC.

Edit: Maybe they did do the computer thing, and that's why I got free stuff instead of money off?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by AgentHappyDay
i've only been there 2-3 times but i liked it..they didn't try to talk me into a bunch of random crap..how do you negotiate and haggle and whatnot? i'm only 16, i need to know these skills for later in life

Just go in there and don't play any of the song that everyone plays.Keep to yourself and they will come!
i think we can all agree its a nice place (minus the noobs) as long as you dont allow yourself to get suckered
BladeSlinger: thanks..i'll try that next time i'm there. closest one (that i know of) is like 6 hours away..

NewsoftheWorld: i already do, i suck too much to play like the others.. lol
...why?
Yeah I was at Sam Ash today. What a **** hole. Its like the Walmart of music stores. The employees dont give a damn and half the stuff was broken. Everytime I go there I remeber why I hate it so much.

Quote by Coollisj22
Yeah I was at Sam Ash today. What a **** hole. Its like the Walmart of music stores. The employees dont give a damn and half the stuff was broken. Everytime I go there I remeber why I hate it so much.

I love going to Sam Ash and just playing on the most expensive stuff they have. One time a guy working in the percussion section jammed with me and a friend of mine for like half an hour, while some kid stood there waiting to ask him a question
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Coollisj22

When ever I go there my shoes pick up a lot of static on the carpet and I get shocked pretty bad every time I touch a door.

So I end up walking weird the whole time I'm there.
Bull. Was in there last week and the guy was telling me he can take off 100 off this B-52 amp when I get near it cash.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
This guitar centre you talk of seems like a good place.
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
Quote by Coollisj22

Sam Ash in LA is decent, my experience there was ruined by some guy who I'm pretty sure was a rep for Line 6 just came in and started bothering me about Spiders or something.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by Down Shifter
Bull. Was in there last week and the guy was telling me he can take off 100 off this B-52 amp when I get near it cash.

When I read that it reminded me of rock lobster lol
Quote by drunken ninja
quick question. do they check your ID if you pay with a credit card (not the GC card)?

Yes, they do for me

The one thing I like about Sam Ash is that they carry ESP Guitars