WINDOWS PC (high level so i dont have to worry about upgrading that)
|
Audio Interface 8i/o (PCI or USB) i dont have a fire wire slot
|
Powered Mixer
|
Mic
|
Voice. Amps, Drums

would this work well? any suggestions for software, audio interface, mixer???

im looking for a professional sound, would i achieve it by recording this way???
are you planning to play all the music through the microphone? thats not a good plan..
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
ya, you wont need a powered mixer, and you should get some decent mics. I'd say nothing less than the sure SM57 or SM58 or some other brand similar quality. I've heard you can get really good bass sound bypassing the amp/mic and just going straight to the mixer and mixing it with another channel going through the amp... sorry i dont own a bass to tell you more about it but one of my friends swears by it.

looks like you got the basic idea though. Good Luck.
PS. If you want a really good book on this stuff look up: practical recording techniques by Bartlett & Bartlett
**** i meant like mic-ing up amps, drum kits and so on.

so i dont need a mixer?

any suggestions on what to get?
Quote by Pete_C_Bass
are you planning to play all the music through the microphone? thats not a good plan..

How is that not a good plan?
There is poetry in despair.
You don't need a mixer. I would suggest ditching the mixer all together and investing that money in better mics. Other than that, the sound of your recordings will depend mostly on you, your recording technique and other skills.

What's your budget?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by fridge_raider
How is that not a good plan?

if you play EVERYTHING (unless acoustic, in which case i would have to eat my words) you will generally get some unwanted distortion, unless you have a REALLY nice mic.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
I know, are you saying that he should DI the instruments ? Just curious.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by jack_mckinnon
WINDOWS PC (high level so i dont have to worry about upgrading that)
|
Audio Interface 8i/o (PCI or USB) i dont have a fire wire slot
|
Powered Mixer
|
Mic
|
Voice. Amps, Drums

would this work well? any suggestions for software, audio interface, mixer???

im looking for a professional sound, would i achieve it by recording this way???

An alternative is to get a Firewire PCI card and then get an 8 input interface like the Art Tubefire or the Presonus Firestudio Project.

A good audio card may not be a good value for what you want since they don't tend to come with integrated DI boxes or microphone preamps.

As for software, it's really hard to go wrong here. Cubase, Ableton, Pro Tools (though it's user unfriendly at times), and Tracktion (very nice for beginners) are all good.

And there's no need for a mixer, let alone a powered one.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
A better idea is to get a non powered usb mixer.
That'le save you some money and get rid of as much of a problem of setting it up.
Try this one here =
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166
Also it comes with reverb effects on it which you can adjust the level of.
This will help your recordings have that "hey were in a room listening to a band"
sort of feel
also it may relieve some excess distortion.
The reviews on that particular mixer look horrible. If you must have a mixer that outputs to PC invest in a firewire based solution. USB mixers send a single stereo track to your PC. The firewire ones are capable of sending each track individually. THis gives you MUCH more flexibilty.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic