I currently am using a peavey JSX amp. I love it but to me there seems to be something missing. Its really beefy but seems to muddy sometimes any suggestions on what i might do? Ive tried turning down the bass and turning up the treble and mids but still not really finding that sound i want. Im really in to metal and progressive stuff. If anyone can help id appreciate it.
EQ? like a real one (e.g. MXR 10 band or something?)

whats your guitar? high output pickups might make the sound muddy as well

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
At this very moment is it still muddy? If so, send us all your settings. and like the last post--EQ, pickups, guitar tone pot, pedals, speaker cab all have an effect on your tone.
I have a Peavey Wolfgang EVH. Im using a Beringer 4x12 cab(i know not the greatest).
my settings for the Ultra Crunch settings are
treble: 10
Mid: 7
Bass:6
Gain:8
Presence:10
Resonance:0
I have the noise gate setting at 10 but i dont really know what that does?thnx for the help guys.
Turn down the EQ. As any of the 5 currently active JSX threads will tell you, the lead channels have active EQ's. You're boosting the HELL out of those freq. bands. Put the EQ back on 5. Actually, put everything on 5, and work in small intervals.
^that

Also, I'm thinking the behringer cabinet has a lot to do with your problem...That guitar is awesome, btw.

The noise gate filters out quiet sounds like pickup hiss, if I'm not mistaken.
Nope, no sig here.
Its the Cab.
your rig should create an otherwise pristine clarity (the JSXs I've tried have that quality)
The Cab is the source of all your low end grunt, so obviously its causing the low end mud. Sell it, and try to save up for something a little tighter.
Quote by Mr.BoJanglez
treble: 10
Mid: 7
Bass:6
Gain:8
Presence:10
Resonance:0

It sounds muddy with those settings? You've got the treble and presence maxed, I'm sure that harsh high end has to be kicking in. Like mentioned earlier, the Ultra channel has an active EQ. Put all the EQ's at 12 o'clock and make slight adjustments from there.
It's possible to have muddy Treble, if you've ever played a Dimebucker you'll know this.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Guitar and pickups would be handy and any effects running into it.
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Quote by MrCarrot
It's possible to have muddy Treble, if you've ever played a Dimebucker you'll know this.

He's playing a Peavey Wolfgang. The pickups in that guitar are pretty bright sounding.
Not saying he had a Dimebucker, and I dunno about the Peaveys. Just saying that with lots of treble, Treble-Mud is very possible.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It means that it already has an equalizer active to change your sound to deliver its fullest potential.

Man...i actually cant think of a good way to put it.

Im going to do see Joe Satriani tomorrow, should i take a picture of his JSX head and tell you his settings?
Quote by dogismycopilot
It means that it already has an equalizer active to change your sound to deliver its fullest potential.

Man...i actually cant think of a good way to put it.

Im going to do see Joe Satriani tomorrow, should i take a picture of his JSX head and tell you his settings?

But I thought he started using his new distortion pedal...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
But I thought he started using his new distortion pedal...

Oh just stfu. I mean that in a nice way, but seriously.....wtf?

It is true, Joe is doing his clinic with the clean channel on his JSX and his new Vox Distortion Pedal, but i didnt want to put a damper on this guy's spirits by telling him that.

Here's a tip, go to www.satriani.com and look at the forums under the FAQs. There should be hundreds of FAQs, but in one of them, someone asks about his settings on the JSX. By holding "cntrl" and hitting the "f" key, you can bring up a search down at the bottom left of your screen which you can use almost like google. Simply type in the word "settings" or "JSX" or something that will provoke the search for the settings for his amp. Its there, i know because i looked at it not too long ago. All i remember is the presence was like....2 or 3 and the treble was at 5.

Once again.....sry azn....
Quote by Guitarmiester
He's playing a Peavey Wolfgang. The pickups in that guitar are pretty bright sounding.

indeed, the neck can sound a bit muddy when playing lower strings on high gain though...

really though, with those settings the EVH should not be muddy...
maybe drop the bass down to 4, and keep the mids/treble the same

also just a quick question from a fellow wolfgang owner,
are you pickups quite noisy because of the extreme high output?
Top lel.
I dont find them to be to noisy. I think the Wolfgang is just one great guitar!!!
And thank you dogsimycopilot for all the help.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Oh just stfu. I mean that in a nice way, but seriously.....wtf?

It is true, Joe is doing his clinic with the clean channel on his JSX and his new Vox Distortion Pedal, but i didnt want to put a damper on this guy's spirits by telling him that.

Here's a tip, go to www.satriani.com and look at the forums under the FAQs. There should be hundreds of FAQs, but in one of them, someone asks about his settings on the JSX. By holding "cntrl" and hitting the "f" key, you can bring up a search down at the bottom left of your screen which you can use almost like google. Simply type in the word "settings" or "JSX" or something that will provoke the search for the settings for his amp. Its there, i know because i looked at it not too long ago. All i remember is the presence was like....2 or 3 and the treble was at 5.

Once again.....sry azn....

Hehe... I should be apologizing but yeah, TS try his forums; if Petrucci fans have his settings from every tour/CD, then I'm sure the Satch forums will too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?