Page 1 of 2
Okay me and my friend are having a guitar off to see who the lead guitarist for your band will be. So im wondering which is harder the entire master of puppets(first solo but not the last) or all of stairway to heaven(except the solo). i mean harder not what takes longer to learn. because each of us pick our hardest song then one that we made up. he will be playing stairway and im probably going to play master of puppets. and for sure my song will beat his so i dont have to worry.

thanks
play the serrana arpeggios.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
why dont you both just play lead?

plus, ive never actually heard master of puppets so i dont know. but why would someone play stairway without the solo to be the lead guitarist? would a lead guitarist need to show that they can solo?

id think a better way would be for you both to just jam with the band and see who can improvise better. but i still think you should both just play lead.
why is there a dispute like that? why can't you guys trade off stuff? for example, you write a solo, if it's good, you're the one who plays it. he writes something, he plays it. problem solved, and you can ignore stupid labels like "i'm lead guitarist" or "i'm rhythm guitarist." just be a guitarist.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
lol you are fighting over who will be on leads...and you dont want to play all of the solos in MOP and not even the only solo in stairway ( a super easy one on top of it)....

i dont get you.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Why are you trying to be lead in my band ? I do believe I am lead in MY band

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
You guys should try 1 song, learning both rhythm and lead, then switch off and ask someone else who played the lead better
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
That idea is stupid. When you guys play, you guys decide who plays rhythm or who plays lead. (If you guys can do that maturely without fighting)
why not do both. plus then u can do twin leads!!!
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
or lets just play guitar...goodness, unless you're playing guitar for the love of guitar (or for Jesus, yee), then you're just playing for idiotic reasons.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Just put a stop to the ego battle and both play leads, it is more effective and you are both seemingly capable so utilise that gift.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Just switch roles every now and then... No point of fighting over it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

You either mix it up, or you choose one solo that both of you can play and let the other members decide which plays it better, or you be mature people and both of you become lead/rhythm.

Master of Puppets is much more demanding.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
okay yes trust me id want to do this. and the thing is i keep telling him that he cant solo or make his own songs so i told him either we trade off or i be lead. But he does not want it and he keeps saying that he is better, yet he can not play any solo. And we can not both be lead because then we will not have a rythem guitarist.
I don't think there's any bands with a "rythem" guitarist.
None the less, just give up. Musics not supposed to be about 'I'm better than him I want my way and my way only'. That's stupid. Maybe you should just leave it at that, and change rolls between rhythm and lead.

/thread.

Oh also, you shouldn't speak to a fellow guitarist telling him he can't solo or write and isn't as good as you; It isn't much of an ego booster for anyone, and it makes you look like a tool. In the end of the day I bet the person you think sucks just wants to play for fun, not for a label of either good or bad.
Wow. How closeminded. You do realise, that with two guitarists bein gboth rythm and lead you have great opportunities do something really beautiful?

there's two major fails here;

1. competition and music. Never mix it

2. rythm and lead guitarist. No. Guitarist. Yes
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
you should both play rhythm, and let the bass do the soloing - problem solved
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Is 'bWsWwrestler' Dave Mustaine? LOL

Sounds like the eighties all over again

Joke people don't flame me I'm a Megadeth fan
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
Both play lead?
Dual Guitars!!

Yeah but if you wanna fight over it then to be honest the better guitarist should play lead
Get another guitarist come and listen to you both

Let him/her decide who's better...

...or just settle for compromise and both of you get a chance to play lead on different songs
id suggest you both do lead parts. but if you want to decide on one "lead" guitarist and one"rhythm" both play one song and whoever does the lead better decides. but i dont like the "lead" and "rhythm" idea and arguing over who is who is not what you need in a band.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Korg Toneworks AX1500G pedal board
Morley Wah pedal
MOP ain't that hard imo. The second solo is a bit tricky, but it's kinda repetative. PRAcTiC3 and ull pwn it!
Just learn to share children!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by phatsack
you should both play rhythm, and let the bass do the soloing - problem solved

This would probably be the best solution
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by bWsWwrestler
okay yes trust me id want to do this. and the thing is i keep telling him that he cant solo or make his own songs so i told him either we trade off or i be lead. But he does not want it and he keeps saying that he is better, yet he can not play any solo. And we can not both be lead because then we will not have a rythem guitarist.

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Slayer
Death

Must I go on?

Your entire argument makes no sense.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
this band will fall apart if you have to settle for one or the other. Switch off like Opeth does.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If someone's unhappy in the band it will be terrible.
If someone is domineering because of their technical prowess, it will be terrible.

Trade off with Leads and Rythm, or get a rythm guitarist and pull a maiden/Skynyrd.
It seems you both think "If I'm lead I get more attention" when it's actually meant to be "if I'm good at rythm I should do rythm" "if I'm good at lead I should do lead" "if I'm good at both I'll do both."
This is one of the most irritating things ever in my opinion. Why does there have to be a designated lead and rhythm guitarist? Don't get it. Get two really damn good guitarists and then have each play solos/rhythm... makes so much more sense then this whole ego "lead guitarist" garbage.
okay im getting sick of people saying im egotistical. i play for fun and he is the one who wants the duel. i have told him all of your suggestions before but he does not want to do it. Thats final.
You're playing for Lead but you're only playing the rhythm parts!.....Just be a guitarist and if one of you writes a cool solo then that person plays it, same with riffs....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
But thats the point i would be playing everything then. he can write back rythems but im the one who writes the solos and riffs in all of our songs. I just want whats best for the band. i would play rythym but im not very good at keeping beats and he is better for the rythym part. But he has a huge ego and goes "O im not lead, that means im i bad guitarist"
So you're both battling for the lead position by playing songs minus the solos? Let the bass do the soloing, like phatsack suggested.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Just both be guitarists. No one should be lead or rhythm.
he sounds like a total jackass, his ego to me outweighs his talent, let him go off and try to play lead in a dif band, if he comes bak then let him play, dont wanna be mean but if hes that stuck up..
meh
Quote by bWsWwrestler
But thats the point i would be playing everything then. he can write back rythems but im the one who writes the solos and riffs in all of our songs. I just want whats best for the band. i would play rythym but im not very good at keeping beats and he is better for the rythym part. But he has a huge ego and goes "O im not lead, that means im i bad guitarist"

Ok, take the rhythm guitar part....eventually he'll get tired of people pointing out his obvious arrogance.....If you go rhythm you can still write everything and it will help you improve on keeping time which is a must for lead anyway....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2