Gday, As an amp upgrade i have been considering either the Peavey Valveking or the Randall RG50TC. I went to a store today, the only one that sells peavey near where i live, and they had no valvekings there, but they did have a Peavey classic 30 which i played for a while. The guy said the valveking is quite similar, but that the classic was a bit better quality.

Anyway, the music i intend to play is mainly metal, but i want something with nice cleans, a versatile amp that i can use for other styles to, hence why i was considering a valveking in the first place.

Now to my dissapointment, i much prefer the sound of my crappy $150 Randall 40w solid state to the overdrive channel on the classic 30. I tried many different settings, but no matter what, i couldnt get it to sound anywhere near as 'fat' as my cheap randall.

Would a valveking also sound similar to this? or would it have way fatter distortion? If not, would the Randall RG40TC have an awesome metal tone? Im sure the classic 30 is in no way a bad amp, just that i personally didnt like the sound of it.

ANy advice woudl be great, thanks
RG's & Mesa's
Valvekings are higher gain than Classic 30's. I dont own a Valveking, but i've read they can do classic metal by themselves. The Classic 30 has better cleans, but not as much gain and cant really do more than rock by itself
Quote by littlephil
Valvekings are higher gain than Classic 30's. I dont own a Valveking, but i've read they can do classic metal by themselves. The Classic 30 has better cleans, but not as much gain and cant really do more than rock by itself

Make that MUCH higher gain. The clean channel on the C30 is not necessarily better, but definitely warmer and more bluesy/jazzy. It's a great amp if you're into that kind of music, but for metal, I don't think it's a very good choice. The VK is a much more balanced amp - capable of good cleans and also high gain on its own (without a pedal). I'm in a similar situation as you are (in the sense that I'm in the market for an amp in the 4-600$ price range), and I'm probably going to go with the VK. The C30 is nice, but it does not have a modern voice. The VK is a great choice for rock, metal (probably need a pedal for heavier stuff tho), and even blues/jazz (albeit not as good for this as the C30).

So, IMHO:

C30 - jazz, blues
VK - any kind of rock, metal, country, funk, etc.

P.S. I've played both amps pretty extensively.